Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've installed a Thinkware U1000 dash cam in my 2020 RS5 and have this connected to the car's hotspot. The problem is the hotspot switches off a few seconds after the ignition is switched off. Consequently, the U1000 looses its connection, through the internet, to the Cloud services where impact video, and other stuff, is uploaded. I'm presuming the onboard hotspot cannot be set to stay on all the time so I was looking at setting up a separate hotspot. My RS5 model doesn't have anything in the glovebox so I don't think I can fit a SIM other than in a dongle. I can wire this to a permanent 12v, through a step-down, and hide it under the dash somewhere. I don't think it'll draw much to bother the car battery but will obviously keep an eye on it.

Questions...
1) Am I correct regarding the onboard hotspot cannot be set to stay on all the time? Has anyone got around this?
2) Has anyone found a good deal for data-only SIMs? (The Thinkware recommendation is to allow 2GB/month and I've found a 24GB Three card for £34.99.)

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey, I've got the f800 pro and have never had any success with getting it cloud connected with the car. I bought the extended data package too but it just never played ball.

Re data.. 3 have always been most cost effective for me. I've got unlimited everything for 8.33pm +vat. I have 5 sims tho

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I've got the f800 pro and have never had any success with getting it cloud connected with the car. I bought the extended data package too but it just never played ball.
Hi
I did initially have problems registering the U1000 (has to be done via a mobile, not online) so emailed the support team. They replied with loads of info. I then got the thing registered and connected to the cloud services using the onboard hotspot. Might be worth you dropping an email to the support team?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to say that I discovered my problem. The U1000 was reporting that it was connected to the internet however it was only actually connecting to the network provider's login page. Consequently, the U1000 wasn't connected to the internet or the Thinkware Cloud.
I set up a separate hotspot using a SIM and USB dongle. The U1000 connected and my mobile started receiving impact notifications when a door or the boot was closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts