Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my solution:

The ashtray of the VW New Beetle fits perfectly (both in size and color) in the front cupholder, filling the fugly hole.
Part# "1C0 857 962 C 2QL"

And since I also hate phone-mounts on the beatifull dash:
I bought a cheap universal phone-mount with a magnet, removed the magnet from the holder and sticked it with tape to the inside of the lid of the ashtray.

Now my phone sticks 'magically' to the ashtray and as a plus I can also charge it without wires being visible!

Only drawback is the little clip that needs to be placed on the phone, but that's a small price to pay for not having a holder, wires, or the cupholder. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just reminded me how annoying it is that audi didnt make a right have drive version of the cup holders, we get the same one as you which means it becomes very awkward to change gear whilst using them.

Oh and great find mate, makes it look a lot neater.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea! Do they offer in black?
I've got the black interior, so this is as black as it gets, I guess. :)
But its a perfect match for the dash color. Both the interior and ashtray are, at least according to Audi/VW, "Black".

I ordered the Beetle part in black (color code = 2QL), but its also available in beige and light gray.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HATE the cupholder

I took a weekend testdrive while I wait for my S5 and I have to say that I was confused and disappointed with the cupholders.

The car I was in had 2 cupholders and I cannot figure out what the smaller of the 2 cupholders was supposed to hold. It's just too small to hold anything!

And then there are the spring-loaded grips that almost ripped my styrofoam cup to shreds. I'm going to need to find a way to disable that or severely weaken the springs.

Anyone have any solutions for the grips, and answers about what the smaller cup holder does?! This was an '09 A5 that I borrowed, so I'm assuming my '09 S5 will have the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Anyone have any solutions for the grips, and answers about what the smaller cup holder does?! This was an '09 A5 that I borrowed, so I'm assuming my '09 S5 will have the same.
The small cupholder fits the smaller 250 ml cans like Red Bull uses.
Quite common in Europe, but maybe unknown in the -supersize me- USA? :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
The small cupholder fits the smaller 250 ml cans like Red Bull uses.
Quite common in Europe, but maybe unknown in the -supersize me- USA? :D
It holds shot glasses too:D

That is a good idea, and a good place to store loose change.

I don't really like cup holders too much either. I don't allow drinks in my car because somehow they end up spilled on the seats. One time I had a drink in a cup holder in another vehicle. I had to slam on the brakes when someone cut in front of me to take a turn. The drink flew out of the cupholder and spilled all around my shifter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I only store bottles, and they go in the door , haven't tried the back cup holders yet

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's a sports car... You don't drink in a sports car!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I only store bottles, and they go in the door , haven't tried the back cup holders yet
+1

It was a revelation to me when I found the little forward slanted mount for bottles in the door pocket. Perfect for 500ml bottles ... not sure if thats 12oz or 16oz in the US. It really is about time you guys went metric, you know!

Heck, you're 16oz bottles aren't even 16oz (weight) they're 16 fluid ounces (volume). I reckon your next president should be someone who pledges to introduce the metric system to the US.

My kids use the rear cup holders and apparently they make great machine gun nests for Darth Vader and his Storm Trooper minions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
its kinda too late for the us and the metric system, im a mechanic and to say i need a 6mm or a 60mm its pretty straight foward.. 9/16 .. 5/8 .. come on that sucks

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have/use a Stainless steel Thermal Cup - with lid, to drink a mug of tea on the way to the office in the morning.... it fits a treat, it don't spill, my arm goes over the top unlike bottles.... AND i don't get a rattle from the door speakers like i sometimes do if i have a bottle in there :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
9/16 .. 5/8 .. come on that sucks

Wow ... you use dates for size measurements? That's really fooked up!

Actually, on that front, sort your date formats out too! We do it in significance order ... day (small) > month (medium) > year (big) yet you guys insist on medium > small > big. WTF?

(For the Republicans out there ... this is satire ... which is posh-speak for trying to be funny in a clever way ;) )

EDIT

Except I'm not clever ... well actually I was ... and then I discovered alcohol ...

EDIT 2

... and ellipsis ...

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow 007 makes an aperance.....i like the date format... ok when you say(i mean actually speak) the date you say second of october two thousand and eight ... or october 2nd 2008

·
Registered
714 Posts
fdot, I was only joking, mate.

Glad to see the ellipsis catching on though :)

By strange coincidence, I've just been watching the Simpsons and it was the episode with the Springfield film festival. One of the suggestions to make Springfield popular (which finally led to the film festival idea) was to adopt the metric system.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use the rear cupholders in the center armrest from the drivers seat... after a few uses, you can reach back to put in and take out without looking. Not too safe for spirited driving though...

Bottles in the side doors works best.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Cupholder Filler is a Hit

I just added the cupholder "filler" from VW as EuroDan called out.

It is a great fit, the black is a perfect match to my console, and it really cleans up the console look.
If I want to put my steel S5 drink tumbler in, I just pull out the filler and stash it in the back.

The only downside is the $50 for the VW filler/ashtray.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here comes a new potential solution, courtesy of the brand spanking new A8:

The interior part probably can be raised out since the Beetle ashtray had something similar too.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts