Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there morning to everyone,

Just a quick question. Currently have an Audi A5 2.0 tdi. This has 19" black edition alloys as standard.

I'm looking to go up a size or two and wanted people's opinions

What size can you go up to?
Do I need to get spacers?
What size tyres do I need to get it insure it doesn't rub?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think a search would do you good as this has been covered numerous times.

I'd personally not recommend anything larger than 20" wheels. Tires you need to match your OEM spec to ensure the speedo is correct.

The trick to width and offset along with tire width is slightly tricky as well as personal, but my advice is to simply go out and measure how much further out you'd like your wheels to sit in the arch, plug the details into a site like willtheyfit.com and find a set of wheels that matches most closely to what you desire.

Keep in mind that a low offset (flush look) will look awkward if you don't have a lowered car.

Good luck

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had 20" x 10j wheels on mine. Mines pretty low so they had 255/30/20 tyres which I believe gives the same rolling radius as some of the factory wheels with a tiny bit of stretch to ensure they didn't rub.
They worked fine and were on 15mm front/20mm back spacers, the wheels were 38 offset. Picture below for your reference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a search would do you good as this has been covered numerous times.

I'd personally not recommend anything larger than 20" wheels. Tires you need to match your OEM spec to ensure the speedo is correct.

The trick to width and offset along with tire width is slightly tricky as well as personal, but my advice is to simply go out and measure how much further out you'd like your wheels to sit in the arch, plug the details into a site like willtheyfit.com and find a set of wheels that matches most closely to what you desire.

Keep in mind that a low offset (flush look) will look awkward if you don't have a lowered car.

Good luck
I had 20" x 10j wheels on mine. Mines pretty low so they had 255/30/20 tyres which I believe gives the same rolling radius as some of the factory wheels with a tiny bit of stretch to ensure they didn't rub.
They worked fine and were on 15mm front/20mm back spacers, the wheels were 38 offset. Picture below for your reference. Hope this helps.

View attachment 177433
Thank you both for your replys! I'm looking to stick to genuine wheels I think anyway. Have been looking at the rotor style.

That's what I was wondering

My tyre size is 255/35/19

Would the rs5 wheels fit with a 275/30/20 set

Like a straight swap. Very new to this ?? cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes mate they are a straight swap
Great! That helps with no spacers ?? will the 275/30 be alright on the sline as I know there lowered slightly anyway. I obviously know this would put the speedo slightly out but I'm. More worried about rubbing and damege etc

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Dont forget that you may wanna consider another 2 factors......One is the cost of the replacement tyres, cos as you go up in diameter the tyre prices soar, and second is the ride comfort which tends to get worse as the wheels get bigger. My old A5 was on 19s and my current S4 is on 18s and I think that I will stick MAINLY for the ride comfort, obviously tyre prices are only important if you intend to cover alot of miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 275's will fit fine, there's a lot of play in the arches of the A5. My current set up is on 255's but I'm also pretty low on coilovers and have 20mm spacers, they still fit fine no rubbing.
As Simon said, have you considered tyre cost and ride quality?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant, yea have looked into it all any don't do massive amounts of miles so that won't be too much of a problem. However ride quality from 19/ to 20 no idea what the difference would be

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Sam mate, in general as you increase the radius of the wheels stroke tyres you reduce the profile and therefore the level of comfort. If you drive mainly on the motorway then who cares. If instead you do alot of A and B road driving then beware cos you will have lots more "jiggle" which you feel directly in the car, cos the lower the profile of the tyres then the more the vibes are transmitted thro to the car. I have a track only motorbike fitted with slick track tyres, but on the road this would be impossible to ride.

Reactions: Josh_A5

·
Registered
508 Posts
However ride quality from 19/ to 20 no idea what the difference would be
Hi mate, when I had my stock 19's rotors refurbed I was given a set of 20's rotors as loan wheels.
The only difference I noticed was a slight bit more tram lining but nothing bad and it might have been more to do with the mismatched tyres that were on them. So I'd say 20's will probably fine for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi mate, when I had my stock 19's rotors refurbed I was given a set of 20's rotors as loan wheels.
The only difference I noticed was a slight bit more tram lining but nothing bad and it might have been more to do with the mismatched tyres that were on them. So I'd say 20's will probably fine for you.
Sam mate, in general as you increase the radius of the wheels stroke tyres you reduce the profile and therefore the level of comfort. If you drive mainly on the motorway then who cares. If instead you do alot of A and B road driving then beware cos you will have lots more "jiggle" which you feel directly in the car, cos the lower the profile of the tyres then the more the vibes are transmitted thro to the car. I have a track only motorbike fitted with slick track tyres, but on the road this would be impossible to ride.
The 275's will fit fine, there's a lot of play in the arches of the A5. My current set up is on 255's but I'm also pretty low on coilovers and have 20mm spacers, they still fit fine no rubbing.
As Simon said, have you considered tyre cost and ride quality?

Thank you for all of the help.

Just one last question. What would you say is a fair price for a set of 20" alloys with decent tyres?

Have seen a few online but wanted to ask a rough price.

I know it depends on brand of tyre etc and condition of the alloy.

But looking for a great condition alloy with 5mm plus tread med range :) (Genuine Rotor ET 26)

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Sorry dunno, I have never purchased any, but loads of dosh I guess. Keep an eye on here cos they do come up for sale from time to time......

·
Registered
269 Posts
I paid £900 for my genuine Le Mans style with 4x Dunlop Sportmaxx, only on the car for a couple of hundred miles. That was a couple of years ago though.

Would echo what the earlier poster said about the cost of 20s though - they really sting, and you will usually need to replace in pairs if you follow the usual advice.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I now have 18s on my S4 and 4 new Contis only cost me 600 Euro. On the A5 3 years ago the 19s (I bought Pirellis) were about 200 Euro each......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts