Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
would really appreciate some pointers on this :)

bit of background on my 2009 A5 3.2 FSI, had the compressor replaced about 3.5 years ago, it died within a week and they replaced it again. it was okay from then, I don't know if the fact it died right away is significant.

so now it seems it works for a couple of minutes but then stops, this is probably self explanatory for most in the know but i just wanted to run it past you guys.

• Pressure in AC system when car is sat, been parked for a while is 6.6 bar this compares the same as my wife's Q3.
  • when i first start the car the pressure goes up to around 12 bar and i can feel cold air although its not very chilled. again, the pressure matches my wife's Q3 when running.
* after a minute or so, the tone of the air changes, the pressure drops down to around 7-8 bar and the blower is now huffing warm air.
* after a while it seems to engage again and the pressure rises to 12 again. it lasts another minute or so.

in general, its not very 'cool' even when it was working.

so that's the behaviour it exhibits.

compressor code is 0, the only off codes are when the engine is off, the AC is off or the fan is off. as expected.

fault codes are consistent: both appear at the same time, i guess the N280 one causes the other one?
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255)
Part No SW: 8T2 820 043 T HW: 8T2 820 043 T

1 Fault Found:
00898 - Control Circuit A/C compressor
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 91
Mileage: 178112 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2021.05.31
Time: 19:43:03

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)
Part No SW: 8K0 907 063 B HW: 8K0 907 063 B

1 Fault Found:
01232 - A/C Compressor Regulator Valve (N280)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 91
Mileage: 178112 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2021.05.31
Time: 19:43:00

so does this sound consistent? would the N280 cause all this? can these be replaced while everything is in situ?

supplementary info - maybe some clues, maybe some other problem....
i hit a nasty speedbump before i noticed this.
there appears to be a gentle dripping of liquid almost dead centre bottom of the engine when its running.
noise can be heard when the air con isn't running that sounds a bit like a washing machine on its wash cycle., never noticed anything like that until this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Hello mate, sorry dunno but have you have the filter changed and the gas replaced recently? They do need a top up every few years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
do you mean the cabin filter? haven't changed that for a (long) while if i'm honest, as its due for a service but i'm holding off until this is sorted. i suppose i could just change the cabin filter and air filter than pop down for a free air con check and plead ignorance :)

EDIT: i have opted to do this in any case, filters are cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Usually the air con places will change the cabin filter as a matter of course to make sure you don't change it twice!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
cabin filter didn't help but it's done anyway. garage reckons the compressor is likely a crappy cheap one (Nissens) and not working properly, and that its only taking 0.5 amps instead of 6 when running?

it looks like Denso make the OEM ones, not sure but i think the part number is 8K0 260 805 D - they don't look much different in price than a nissens one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts