Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What is the purpose of this scoop on the airbox?
Is it to just direct bugs and debris etc from hitting directly into the filter.

Thank.

John.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's a snow shield and possibly as you say to stop other bits hitting the filter directly.

But in my opinion, as the airflow comers from the front grille, then turns upwards and over the top of the radiator and into the airbox, the chances of direct impact would be quite low, but I guess Audi designed it for a reason.

On the S5s, when going to stage 2, this shield is removed as it will slide out, but I drilled mine so it has airflow onto the filter, but also offers a bit of protection. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,

That makes sense. Was just wondering if it had any benefits as to air turbulence etc, as I cut mine out and I'm having a remap in a few weeks, so was just curious if it would hamper anything like rev pickup etc.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Thanks Dave,

That makes sense. Was just wondering if it had any benefits as to air turbulence etc, as I cut mine out and I'm having a remap in a few weeks, so was just curious if it would hamper anything like rev pickup etc.

Thanks.

John
Shouldn't hamper, if anything it should help towards your power gains. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cut mine out as well and I could notice she was breathing a little better. Not in a huge gainz kind of way but it just seemed to respond a little more to my liking. Or mabye it did just because that's what I wanted but either way...WIN

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've got a 3.0tdi. I did remove it before but refitted as I thought the car bogged down abit on lower revs. Think I was just being paranoid. Will remove it before remap.
Also got a silicone intake pipe but dont think I'll be fitting that as it leaves the dpf sensor with no bracket as the oem intake hose has a clip for that.
Not sure the silicone hose would make much difference. Is a darkside one.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
With the 3.0tdi, unless you are going to hybrid turbos and really tuning it, intakes etc don't make much difference.

I got 310bhp and 650Nm from just a remap. I did remove the butterfly flap, but only to get some more noise, i still had the OEM paper filter. I also had a back box delete.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha
Butterfly flap was only fitted to certain models like the 3.0TDi. The S5 has this blanked off!! So I used a hole saw to open it up. :)
HA Yup sounds about right. Are we talking about the flap inside the box correct just before the air gets to the cone that ridiculously hard place of plastic that's in the way? I burned through 2 cutting tools using my Dremel which is not battery powered it's wall powered and it had a hard time . It got so hot cutting it. The plastic would literally melt even though I just cut a solid line it would fuse back together. Of course I tried to barehand it..then again..then I decided gloves would be a good thing. Just sanded it down afterwards and it looks good. Did you also remove what I believe is the snow catcher? The fish tank net looking "air filter" at the entrance of the box? I did. Also bought the materials to actually cut the top of the box and make it look professionally done but I decided against it since that box is sealed extremely well and that would be for a reason. With that big ass V8 imagine it does get kind of hot in there. Only other thing I'm going to do to it would be change out the filter and I suppose put a silicone hose in there but I'm having a hard time finding one except for in one or two places it just seems kind of ridiculous to pay $150 for a piece of silicon silicone but if that's the going rate I suppose that's what I'll be payn. Just curious if anyone had any good resources for that kinda thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts