Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Have just joined this forum so please bear with me while i get used to it!

I have a 2008 Audi A5 3.0tdi, which ive had for 5 years(ish) and i love it, its the best/quickest car ive ever owned. Had no real issues with the car until about a month ago the after turning the engine of there was a loud hissing noise, i initially thought i had a puncture but on closer inspection the hissing noise was coming from the front of the car near the radiator. After about 30 mins the hissing reduced gradually until it stopped. From then on the air con stopped working (ie not freezing cold) so i guess the hissing was the gas/refrigerant leaking out. Took the car to our local garage and they said the condenser had gone. So to replace this they had to take the whole front of the car off, replace it and then a sensor failed or something so they had to discharge the gas, replace the sensor then re-gas it. Cost over £560! Now less than a month later the air con has stopped working again! Please does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong as another £500 bill i could rather avoid if possible!
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help?
Thanks in advance,
Jamie

·
Registered
198 Posts
would take it to someone to identify where the leak is first, actually was easy to change the condenser.
did it on my 2011 3.otdi easy to do your self bumper and crash bar off, took me 2hrs, then took to get recharge, the hardest bit is a 13 or 12mm bolt that holds the bumper on, ps im no a mechanic, watch a few youtube videos
how to take the bumper off, also got the condenser from eurocarparts for 65 ish using discount code not the hella one though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the quick response! Im no mechanic either so a bit worried to take on any major work myself. Like i said i paid over £500 to have the condenser replaced but then less than a month later is it likely the same part will have failed already? Its due its mot tax and full service next month so will ask garage to look at it while mot and service being done

·
Registered
198 Posts
sounds like a small leak, or dodgy switch as you can see in the pic, good luck with it.

worth checking Halfords as i think they do a free aircon check, see what they say?

cheers Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mate, will see what happens. Thankyou for your help, will post an update when i know more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mark,

just thought id let u know, my a5 was due its mot and a full servicelast week so had to book it in. I always use the same garage as my dad has been mates with the owner for 20 years or so, and hes been good to us as my dad is disabled and hes helped us out a lot in the past, picking up and dropping off dads car for servicing and stuff. Asked him to look at the air con while it was in, and as i paid nearly £600 for them to fix it and it stopped working 3 weeks or so later felt they should sort it out. Turns out a couple of valves were loose and the gas had leaked out, so they sorted them and re-gassed it (without charge) and all is well now. Only to find out the clutch is on its way out so that’ll have to be sorted soon! I love my a5 but its done nearly 94,000 miles now so can expect problems to crop up more often now and parts can be sourced for cheap but the garage labour to sort them isnt!
Anyway thanks again for your help, as i said i love my a5 and though shes quite old now (08 reg) cant quite yet bring myself to condemn her. Eventually when i do i’ll defo get another a5 a bit newer as im a total convert now. Beautiful looking car.

thanks again & regards
Jamie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts