Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have aftermarket wheels, did you install the tire pressure monitoring sensors from your stock rims to the aftermarket ones? Any problems? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are aftermarket TPMS that you can use that work with the A5/S5, so you don't have to try and remove them from your current wheels. TX has some in his wheels and they work just fine (plus they are much cheaper than the Audi branded version).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I left my TPMS sensors in my stockers in case I ever wanted to use them again.

I purchsed 4 OEM Audi sensors at http://www.madaudi.com/ for $79 each and they work just fine.

TX, are yours really aftermarket? That surprises me.......

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
TX has some in his wheels and they work just fine (plus they are much cheaper than the Audi branded version).
I just checked the price, and they were actually $70 each. So, I might have been thinking they were much cheaper when I first discussed this with you.

I purchsed 4 OEM Audi sensors at http://www.madaudi.com/ for $79 each and they work just fine.

I left my TPM sensors in my stock wheels too.

The "aftermarket" TPM sensors I purchased from Discount Tire are made by Schrader-Bridgeport. According to the guy at Discount Tire, this is the same company that makes TMPS for various car manufacturers, including Audi. The ones I got are the same as the factory ones, except they don't have the Audi logo or part number on them.

They work just fine. In fact, I KNOW they work because I got a flat recently (had a screw in my tire) and my TPM warning light came on the dashboard. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and was able to fill up the low tire with my air compressor and then quickly drove the car to the tire repair shop. Thank goodness for the TPM system! Otherwise, I likely would have kept on driving without a clue that I had a rear flat until it was too late, and then my tire might have gotten damaged. TMPS saved the day! :)

·
Registered
750 Posts

Maybe I dreamed it? Damn memory!!!

Thanks TX. So they aren't technically aftermarket I guess (my bad)... :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My OEM sensors were actually installed and mounted when I bought my wheels and tires from DPE. I didn't even know they made after market sensors.

Mine are really sensitive to changes in ambient temperature. I wish there was a "range" that you could put in there versus a static number. I'm sure there's some leeway built in, but mine are too sensitive....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also own an Infiniti FX45 with TPMS and the cool thing about the Infiniti is that you can check the TPMS information screen and it will give the exact, instantaneous tire pressure in each tire. I wonder why Audi didn't do this. :confused:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I also own an Infiniti FX45 with TPMS and the cool thing about the Infiniti is that you can check the TPMS information screen and it will give the exact, instantaneous tire pressure in each tire. I wonder why Audi didn't do this. :confused:
M-B systems do this also.
I do wish that the Audi system displayed the current pressures. It would be a very easy way to check tire pressures every day.

·
Registered
225 Posts
does anyone know if just adding sensors to wheels, will allow you to then activate "tyre pressure monitoring" with Vagcom??

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just remember to set "Remember current tire pressures" after you've mounted and installed the new wheels/tires :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts