Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you with the S5 4.2 installed an aftermarket exhaust system?

If so which one and what do you like/dislike about it?

I think i have narrowed my search down to the AWE Track and the Fast Intentions Non-Res Catback.

AWE is similar to an AMG sound.

FI is much more exotic, with low and high notes to it...very interesting.

Here are clips:

AWE Track Stock Downpipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqpqG61cipE

Fast Intentions Non-Res:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfYu7Kc2HOo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have 2010 S5 and I have installed AWE track version...let me tell you this...this thing turn a lot of heads while driving!!!

In my opinion, AWE track is the best exhaust money can buy for V8 S5.

I will upload a video of my car and will post the link here...

If you need further info let me know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Capristo on order, two weeks to go until delivery then I will be able to tell you what it's like. If reviews and YouTube clips are to believed it's definitely up there with the best.

I have to have a valved exhaust as I live in a block of flats in a very built up area and for almost 6 months of the year I'm de-icing the car before driving!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alic01, are you in Aberdeen, SK?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Capristo on order, two weeks to go until delivery then I will be able to tell you what it's like. If reviews and YouTube clips are to believed it's definitely up there with the best.

I have to have a valved exhaust as I live in a block of flats in a very built up area and for almost 6 months of the year I'm de-icing the car before driving!!
Capristo is one of the best exhaust out there...but really cant justify the price tag of it...4-5k!

be sure to upload a video once you get it installed.

here is a short video of my exhaust...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-z_jRfoRmY

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh another aberdeen. You'd think in the large world around us that we could nane cities/towns without replicating nanes... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWg7L8KbYo

This is a clip of an Audi member who has an FI exhaust installed on his car, while playing in the snow.

My FI exhaust arrived today and i'll have it installed by friday...stoked!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sold on the FI exhaust over the AWE as far as having a more "euro" note to it - which I love.

How are you liking your FI exhaust now after having it for a while?
Did you get it with a resonated downpipe?
Is there drone associated with not using a resonated downpipe?

I messaged FI 4 days ago and got an auto-reply that they'll contact me but nothing as of yet.
Although their site doesn't list an exhaust for an A5 3.2, I'm hoping that's just an oversight.
I'm also hoping that the only differences between a 4.2 exhaust and 3.2 exhaust is the downpipes or perhaps just the first/initial section of the exhaust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jschrauwen: Best i can tell from comparing the 2 exhausts (pics below) is that the exhaust setups are darn near identical. The only thing you are going to want to do is Youtube exhaust sounds for your 3.2 specifically and see what you think of the sound. There will be no comparison between the 6 and 8 cylinder as they have different camshaft designs, cylnder/piston firing orders, etc.

Best of luck searching. Post vids when you have picked something out and installed it.

P.S.: I bought mine with the resonators. Around 2,000kms of driving and i removed the resonators and i'm glad i did. There is less drone with my manual trans and the resonators removed. On most tiptronic (automatic trans) you are better off with the resonators due to the nature of how an automatic transmission holds and hunts gears. Again, no comparison with manual and automatic transmissions as the exhausts paired up to them function differently.

4.2 exhaust:

3.2 exhaust:

·
Registered
225 Posts
jschrauwen: Best i can tell from comparing the 2 exhausts (pics below) is that the exhaust setups are darn near identical. The only thing you are going to want to do is Youtube exhaust sounds for your 3.2 specifically and see what you think of the sound. There will be no comparison between the 6 and 8 cylinder as they have different camshaft designs, cylnder/piston firing orders, etc.

Best of luck searching. Post vids when you have picked something out and installed it.

P.S.: I bought mine with the resonators. Around 2,000kms of driving and i removed the resonators and i'm glad i did. There is less drone with my manual trans and the resonators removed. On most tiptronic (automatic trans) you are better off with the resonators due to the nature of how an automatic transmission holds and hunts gears. Again, no comparison with manual and automatic transmissions as the exhausts paired up to them function differently.

4.2 exhaust:

3.2 exhaust:
Many many thanks for this. Much appreciated.

This has given me some ideas.

It appears that by looking at those AWE exhaust pics, the A5 3.2 and S5 4.2 exhaust system layout is identical.

I assume your oem 4.2 S5 exhaust looked like this?

If so, then I might so far as to assume that perhaps the S5 muffler may be the exact same (shape-wise) as the A5's?

The reason I say this is that here is a pic of an A5 3.2 oem exhaust with a quad valence fitted to it.

It appears that Audi may have just blocked off the extra muffler tip exit?
If so, it may follow that a 4.2 S5 muffler may be a direct fit onto an A5?
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an RS5 4.2 with the ABT CAT back exhaust. Its awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts