Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My A5 came without multifunction controls on the steering wheel. This is very annoying and the Audi seller did not make it clear that this was not a standard!:mad:

I bought over the ebay a set of multifunction controls (Audi Nr. 4E0951527AH WEP / left and Audi Nr. 4E0951527AJ WEP / right) and the cable to install (AUDI Nr. 4E0 971 589).

I am still waiting for the cable delivery. :rolleyes:

I removed the airbag and the installation seems to be very easy. I will just have to remove the covers, fit the controls, unplug the old cable and plug the new.

Will this be enough to make the controls work? Will I need to go to an Audi dealer to reprogram the car to make them work? I am anxious to fit the controls. I am a DIY kind of person and I would like to install it myself (after all it seems to be quite easy!) Will this void the car warranty?:confused:

My A5 has the standard chorus radio onboard. Will it work with the controls?

Thanks for your replies! I will get back with some photos :D

Vangelis

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Hi Vangelis, welcome to the forum.

Could you please update your profile to match your location. It helps when it comes to queries and questions, as models and parts differ from country to country.

Rab.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

My A5 came without multifunction controls on the steering wheel. This is very annoying and the Audi seller did not make it clear that this was not a standard!:mad:

I bought over the ebay a set of multifunction controls (Audi Nr. 4E0951527AH WEP / left and Audi Nr. 4E0951527AJ WEP / right) and the cable to install (AUDI Nr. 4E0 971 589).
I have the same situation here. I just bought new Audi A5 2.0 TFSI quattro with standard radio. Is this working just adding the controls to the steering wheel or does it require re-programming or something?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My guess is that it will need coding. There is an option in VCDS to enable the multifuncion steering wheel controls with VAG COM.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I asked the installation from my local dealer and they told it can not be done :wall:

Reason is that Audi has my car specs on their online database. If there will be software update (or something) for the devices I have on my car, it will be reset because the database does not contain information of multifunction steering wheel! They mentioned something about SVM comparison, I don't know what that is.

They told that the information of my new multifunctional steering wheel can not be updated to the online database.

If I understood this correctly, it can be done, but it should be activated every time after software update. And for some reason my dealer refuse to do it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you should try another dealer...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

It can be done. However you will also need a new steering wheel controller (and the parts mentioned above). This is an expensive part so if you decide to make the upgrade it would be wise it also go for the cruise control option (the cruise control component is part of the new steering wheel controller).

Best thing to do is to buy this upgrade pack from kufatec (steering wheel controls and cruise control). http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p883_Cruise-Control---Retrofit---Audi-A5-8T.html
Make sure you put in your chassis number (VIN) This will tell them that you dont have the steering wheel controls (an extra 150 euros)
You will need recoding that can be done by the dealer or by someone that has the VCDS.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Best thing to do is to buy this upgrade pack from kufatec (steering wheel controls and cruise control).
Thanks for the answer. I asked this already from Kufatec and their answer was that they do not have any solution to retrofit multifunction buttons or steering wheel to A5. That's weird because it's written even on their web page :confused:

I have cruise control already, so I should find steering wheel controller without it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

It can be done. However you will also need a new steering wheel controller (and the parts mentioned above). This is an expensive part so if you decide to make the upgrade it would be wise it also go for the cruise control option (the cruise control component is part of the new steering wheel controller).

Best thing to do is to buy this upgrade pack from kufatec (steering wheel controls and cruise control). KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - GRA (Tempomat) Komplett-Set Audi A5 8T
Make sure you put in your chassis number (VIN) This will tell them that you dont have the steering wheel controls (an extra 150 euros)
You will need recoding that can be done by the dealer or by someone that has the VCDS.

Good luck!
How is your retrofit coming along?
As i can understand on you, your car was not fitted with cruise control from factory?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys, have you got any update on this matter? I should have gotten a multifunctional steering wheel as it was stated in the order, but the dealer delivered my car without it. I asked him about retrofitting it but he said it's likely not possible but he'd research and come back to me. It's been 10 days already and I haven't heard from him - I have a bad hunch.

Back then he said that he's willing to give me a discount, but I personally think that giving me a hundred or so euros discount won't make up for the lack of buttons on the steering wheel; firstly it's a feature that's rather usual these days and secondly it's very annoying to control the radio during driving because the shifter is in the way.

So what do you think? Is it possible? Has anyone done it yet? I assume it's just a bunch of cables that connects to the "network" of the car and that's it, I can't see why this would require any coding change in the computer(s)... but please enlighten me :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have recently done it in mine, and i think total cost amounts to 250€.
I needed a new steering wheel electronics, however i found that on eBay for 150€ i think.
Then you will need the buttons, and the cable inside the steering wheel.

Last but not least, you need VCDS to code the car ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have recently done it in mine, and i think total cost amounts to 250€.
I needed a new steering wheel electronics, however i found that on eBay for 150€ i think.
Then you will need the buttons, and the cable inside the steering wheel.

Last but not least, you need VCDS to code the car ;)
So you did not replace the whole steering wheel but just replaced the glossy plastic inserts with button modules, bought new wiring and recoded the computer? That's awesome :)

I was trying to find these parts - button modules and the wiring harness - but with no luck :( Would you mind sharing the links where you found it, a link to the seller or part numbers? I'm really interested in having this retrofit done now :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My audi came with 3-spoke steering wheel, which is prepared for the mufu, so i only had to buy the right and left button thingies, cables for the steering wheel, and the a new sliding ring (the part that connects signal from the steering wheel, to the car)
Right now i dont have the part no., but in a week or so, and can plug the vcds to the car, and find the number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Found the parts on eBay at last (now I noticed the part numbers in the first post...):
The buttons : Audi Alu-Multifunktion Tasten | eBay
The cable: 4E0 971 589 | eBay

And then the Sliding ring "Schleifring"
audi a5 schleifring | eBay
But they all seems to be used, which I find a bit risky because it seems to be a vital part of the steering... what do you think?

Also I'm not 100% sure that these parts would fit in my 2012 model... any advice on that?

I have contacted Audi dealer in Germany, curious to see if they could do it there and for how much :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
So no reply from Audi Germany. Also no compensation agreed upon with the dealer. I have written them a letter; if they won't reply within 30 days I have by the law a right to get the "item" replaced for a new one or I can cancel the contract.
In this case I could get a new car or get 100% of money back :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Solution

So I had to run it through a lawyer to get things moving. Costed me 200€, but still cheaper than getting it installed myself.

My lawyer sent them a letter stating that his opinion is that I have the full right to claim this lack of buttons on my steering wheels and that we're not afraid of going into court (that was a bit of poker game there).

It was good enough to scare them so now they'll bring a donor A5 with the buttons and will attempt to install the buttons on my car. They said they never did this and it might take up to 5 days... well but that's a NP after these long months.

So... success :D :laughinatabove::cheers::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I recently bought myself a 2008 A5 2.7 TDi Multitronic in Sahara silver (there are pics in my gallery). It has S-line (ext/int) MMI plus with Navi, CD-changer, glass sunroof, cat-back system, 19" S-line (split?) and some sort of rear diffuser. But there are two things i miss, and it´s the AUX/BT to connect my phone and, most of all, the multifunction controls for the steering wheel. But i was happy when i found this thread, there is hope! :thumbsup:

But i have some questions:

- I notice there are two kinds of buttons, the ones with crome and the ones without. Do they fit in the same slots? But i´ll guess that the original ones are the ones without, since there is chrome on my steering wheel where the buttons are supposed to be? And are there only one kind of buttons, i.e can i buy from a A4/A6 from approx. the same model year?

- How do i remove the lids on the steering wheel? And how do i remove the airbag?

- How do i know if i have to replace the "sliding ring"? I have Cruise control on my car.

Thanks in advance/Samuel

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did that mod on my 09 A5 with only cruise control installed originally.
I subsituted the sliding wheel control unit part n° 8K0953568E with a new one part n° 8P0953549F which is suitable to manage the cruise control and the multifunction.
Also a cbale you need to change but i do not remember the exact code and obviously the two left and right buttons..
And you need to code the new unit via VAG
Very easy for an audi dealer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts