Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the start stop button in the s5 was standard but the dealer has told me it comes as an extra with the advanced key option at £500.This is not clear in brochures or any reviews i have read. Is this a worthwhile option?

·
Registered
685 Posts
It depends on your taste, I think the button is mostly for looks but a cool feature. If a Honda S2000 can come with it standard then why can't this car? Seems a bit pricely at 500 pounds

·
Registered
135 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I thought the start button comes with the car anyway and the Advanced Key allows you to start the car and open the doors while the key is in your pocket. Otherwise, you have to dock it in that little key opening if you don't have the "advanced" key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I discussed with the dealer also, he told me that the button is only if You have the advanced key, otherwise the button is not there. You can start the car by pressing the carkey into the dashboard.

I myself did not take the option, as You say, it is too expensive in my eyes just for the button, because the button is cool, but the keyless entry itself is not that cool, but 500 for a button, ouch :)

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
advanced key is a very cool feature. i have it and i love it. Firstly, the start button is cool; secondly, it's so convenient to open, lock and start the car without taking the key out of our pocket, it's unbelievable! I got used to that immediately, now opening/starting my other cars feels weird! :)

G

·
Hi,

I discussed with the dealer also, he told me that the button is only if You have the advanced key, otherwise the button is not there. You can start the car by pressing the carkey into the dashboard.

I myself did not take the option, as You say, it is too expensive in my eyes just for the button, because the button is cool, but the keyless entry itself is not that cool, but 500 for a button, ouch :)

Tom
Keyless entry is a luxury and no you don't need it. But i love it, i think its a great extra, will add value to my car over others when re-sale time comes around and i could afford to spec it. Thats about it. Don't ever have to dig keys out of pockets, dont have to put the key into anything, just walk up, get in, press a button and drive away - wonderful:cool:

If you don't want to spend £500 on it, don't, if you like the luxury and can afford the £500, do it. :cool:

Simple :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keyless entry is a luxury and no you don't need it. But i love it, i think its a great extra, will add value to my car over others when re-sale time comes around and i could afford to spec it. Thats about it. Don't ever have to dig keys out of pockets, dont have to put the key into anything, just walk up, get in, press a button and drive away - wonderful:cool:

If you don't want to spend £500 on it, don't, if you like the luxury and can afford the £500, do it. :cool:

Simple :D
I think that for a feature that you would use several times every day (practically) over the course of a few years (if you own the car that long) it's worth it for the convenience. And since the car costs what it does, shaving off the 500 pounds doesn't really change your life. I'm in California and we have to order it as part of the Technology package. We don't get to customize the car in an a la carte way like you guys in Europe unfortunately. But still, in my mind if you're going to spend that much you might as well go balls out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think that for a feature that you would use several times every day (practically) over the course of a few years (if you own the car that long) it's worth it for the convenience. And since the car costs what it does, shaving off the 500 pounds doesn't really change your life. I'm in California and we have to order it as part of the Technology package. We don't get to customize the car in an a la carte way like you guys in Europe unfortunately. But still, in my mind if you're going to spend that much you might as well go balls out.
Have you ordered yours already? I'm in Los Angeles and am placing the order tomorrow or Wednesday. Apparently I'll be 2nd on the list. Where are you ordering from if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to admit I was a bit stupid and thought the start button came with the S5 and was pretty dissapointed when I collected my car and found out it wasn't there. With hindsight I'd have to say if you can afford the keyless entry get it, I wish I had and it would seem I can't have it retro fitted either. I will also add that the key into the slot in the dash has "stuck" a couple of times forcing me to start the car several times before I could retrieve my key from the slot and lock the car. Bottom line keyless entry is the way forward, take it from someone who now gets to regret not spec'ing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you ordered yours already? I'm in Los Angeles and am placing the order tomorrow or Wednesday. Apparently I'll be 2nd on the list. Where are you ordering from if you don't mind me asking?
Yes, I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. I put down 1k back in march to hold a spot and then another 4k upon placing the order. I was supposedly first on the list but you never really know.

I'm in the Bay area. I'm sure my dealer has put in several by now. Good luck with your order--what color are you going with?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, I ordered mine a couple weeks ago. I put down 1k back in march to hold a spot and then another 4k upon placing the order. I was supposedly first on the list but you never really know.

I'm in the Bay area. I'm sure my dealer has put in several by now. Good luck with your order--what color are you going with?
Cool, I go to school at Santa Clara University so I'll be driving back down to pick it up in November from Thousand Oaks. I'm going with Phantom Black and Tuscan Brown interior. Full options. You know that M3/S2000 meet-up in San Jose (might be Mountain View actually...) every Friday night? We should go crash their party ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
question

say my key is in my pocket and i decide to get out of the car while the engine is running to do something really quick, will the doors automatically lock since i am not in the car?

·
Registered
953 Posts
say my key is in my pocket and i decide to get out of the car while the engine is running to do something really quick, will the doors automatically lock since i am not in the car?
No, you'll be fine. I've done it loads of times.

I'm so glad I specced advanced key. It makes things so much easier. Raining when you leave the house? No worries, dash to the car, open the door and get in. No more fumbling in pocket for keys.

Very worthwhile option but I do agree it should be standard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This brings up an interesting point - What happens if, with Advanced Key, you get into the car, start it, then for whatever reason the key falls out of your pocket onto the ground and you drive away. Will the car detect that it is no longer in proximity to the key and stall or something?

·
Registered
145 Posts
This brings up an interesting point - What happens if, with Advanced Key, you get into the car, start it, then for whatever reason the key falls out of your pocket onto the ground and you drive away. Will the car detect that it is no longer in proximity to the key and stall or something?
No, but you wouldn't be able to restart it once you stop the engine. I believe a warning will appear on the DIS if the car detects the keys are not in the car once it has been started.

·
Registered
208 Posts
im still confused as to whether the door will lock with the engine running and my keys in my pocket away from the car like in a store or something

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What is the worry if the key is in your pocket and the doors lock? When you come back, you just grab the handle and they will unlock. Actually, you should want them to lock so no one can jump in and drive off. Why you would even dream of jumping out of your running car for "like in a store or something" is beyond me and only inviting an opportune abuse.

In fact, there was a thread here that a bloke had his friend hold the key several meters away and he jumped into his car and drove off out of sight. At least here in the US that test failed for me. I couldn't even start my car with my wife holding the key AT THE DOOR, since my screen showed "no identifiable key in range" when I was pressing the start button at that moment. Once the key was IN THE CAR though, it functioned normally. I;ll try your scenario but still can't get why you'd want to do that ...

·
Registered
953 Posts
im still confused as to whether the door will lock with the engine running and my keys in my pocket away from the car like in a store or something
Why? I answered it above. No the doors don't lock automatically at any time unless
A) you approach the vehicle and unlock the doors but don't open them, they relock within 30 seconds;
B) you go over the preset speed, then they lock automatically.

If you are stationary and you get out of the car to go into a shop, they will not lock automatically.

And rnlabas is totally right too, the car won't start unless the keys are inside it. Holding them against the door on the outside won't work, they have to be inside.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
btw, y'all - I did this test just now AND I don't like it. Got in the car normally (with Advance Key in my pocket) - started car - opened door - got out and put key on wife's TT boot cover - closed my S5 door with engine running - no locking, no nothing, other than a questionmark and key icon on instrument display. Got in the S5 and drove off - no problems, no worries - outta sight around the block (.5 km) and returned. When I approached the TT boot, the key was flashing, picked up and put in pocket - returned to S5 and "warning" now out - went off as usual.

I think I will inquire about coding the car to shut down if started this way, too easy to allow car-jacking or casual drive offs - perhaps after it is shut off later, it won't restart - but for me that's too late...

·
Registered
124 Posts
[/QUOTE]In fact, there was a thread here that a bloke had his friend hold the key several meters away and he jumped into his car and drove off out of sight. At least here in the US that test failed for me. I couldn't even start my car with my wife holding the key AT THE DOOR, since my screen showed "no identifiable key in range" when I was pressing the start button at that moment. Once the key was IN THE CAR though, it functioned normally. I;ll try your scenario but still can't get why you'd want to do that ...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was me that did the test. I was quite shocked that i was about 5 meters away from the car and my mate jumped in and started it and drove off. I was expecting the car to pull up or something but soon realised nothing was going to happen as he disappeared around the block!!!

I dunno if there is a diff between specs in AUS and US delivered A5's but you could easily drive away in mine if i was close to the car with the advanced key option.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts