Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to the car this morning and it wouldn't unlock so I had to use the manual key to open the car, then to find out the stop/start button isn't working either and I cant hear the normal click when the key enters the car

I've done the usual changing the battery and still no luck. I've had a long look through the threads on this but can only find ones with the door sensors not working but the start/stop still functions.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be while I try and find some one with a VAG cable ? any help would be appreciated

cheers !

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
What about the spare key or the emergency one? Either of those working?

Where are you based?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried both mate I can start the car by putting the key in its slot but just the advanced key functions not working/recognised ... I'm based wayyyy up in Carlisle too :(

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
OK, well that rules out the remote being faulty, most likely. You should have a stored fault if there's something going on with a module so a local VCDS scan should narrow the reasons down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so got it plugged in Tuesday and got the obvious door sensor error ect... So I ordered the sensor and fired it in tonight still no success although the code has now cleared the keys still aren't being recognised! So I think the keys need reprogrammed for some strange reason and the word on the street is only audi do them as the vagcom can't program them ?? Anyone know any different
Cheers !

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought the reason why new Audis/BMWs/Mercs, etc are so easy to steal through the ODB2 port is due to a law saying the key coding info had to be kept in the ECU so indy shops could program keys, which means baddies with a device can code a key by plugging that device into your port and making a fake key to drive off with your car. The upside is, you shouldn't have to go to a dealer to have the key programmed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had 2 vagcoms on it now one of a friends and a garage/not audi and he couldn't do it either ... Think there's a different device other than vag to code the keys ??

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It's a different tool required to program keys, you're best bet is an auto locksmith. Google will be your friend - I did a quick search for 'auto locksmith carlisle' and although I obviously cannot vouch for them I came up with this local company straight away that'll likely be able to sort you out if it is just the key needs reprogramming Auto Locksmith Carlisle Cumbria - Buckle and Jones

To be honest though from what you've described and experiencing the same with the spare key it still sounds more like some sort of keyless entry control unit failure rather than keys needing programming.

Good luck with it, hopefully not a too expensive fix!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I think your right mate .. Been to audi and managed to get them to give me the answer for free ! Haha but I now need a start stop ecu for £400??? Any one heard of this needing done as I can't find anything on here or is that the keyless entry unit ?? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neither door will open and both feel loose when you squeeze them.The Locksmith put a little air bag in the window and blew it up enough to get a wire in. Then he hooked the wire on to the interior door handle and open it.

·
Administrator
305 Posts
In some regions when the car is locked the interior handles do not work. They are deadlocked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts