Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adjusted my KWs: Front-35mm Rear-25mm (with pics)

Guys, since having the KWs fitted, the lack of 'rake' on the car has bugged me. I've seen recently a couple of stock S5s and the rake has made the rear shoulders look 'just right' rather than 'squatting' at the back like mine.

I had planned to raise the rear by 10mm to get that rake, but my 10mm allen socket just wouldn't fit into the rear adjuster (I'm guessing it must require a 9mm, which I don't posess). So I lowered the front by 12mm instead!

The result... Big happy! :D :D ...The car looks meaner than ever, and the front and rear lowering looks more 'matched'. The rake angle is back and the lines seem to 'work' better, so I'm delighted. It's quite an aggressive lowering at the front now and I've yet to try some speed bumps, but since I had no problems at all with the previous height, I'm not expecting any major problems.

FYI, if anyone else wants this set-up, the length of exposed thread on the front is 32mm and on the rear is zero. When adjusting the front, the pitch of the thread is 2mm (one turn travels 2mm) and with each turn, the ride height is changed by about 3mm... so 4 turns drops up to 12mm.

Pics - please excuse the pic quality (phone) and the fact that the car desperately needs a wash!! :eek:

Before...

After...

Final Result...

:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I dont know how much mine had settled but looking at the pics I would say it was closer to your 35 mm drop. I was running aground on some speed bumps and multistorey ramps. However, the rear had dropped as much as well and the scrape was closer to the rear than the front.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
looks loads better Ian, good job.

DD, you need to slow down lol, i was shitting my pants going into riverside after you telling me about running aground there, but was fine.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think its really cool that when phantom black gets dirty it looks like meteor. Does meteor look like phantom black when it is cleaned? ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Saj, don't take this personally, but I'm in a bit of a grammar nazi mode right now: the word should be "fare"

:p

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Looks good, Ian! I know exactly what you mean about not having that rake. I had my rears raised last week and am much happier now with the look.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Looks good, Ian! I know exactly what you mean about not having that rake. I had my rears raised last week and am much happier now with the look.
Told ya....;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you measuring 26.25" in the rear (ground to apex of lip) like Tx is with the KW's on the highest setting? That looks lower then that in the rear. Car is looking good.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Are you measuring 26.25" in the rear (ground to apex of lip) like Tx is with the KW's on the highest setting? That looks lower then that in the rear. Car is looking good.
...No!

Ground to apex of wheel-arch is 25.75" at the rear and 25.25" at the front.

You are right though, the KW at the rear 'appears' to be on it's highest setting and can only go lower... I was going to allow about 5mm of the collar to overlap the thread end and see what this did to the rear, but as mentioned in the first post, the front came down instead!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looking good Prof? But when did you have it re-sprayed Meteor? You kept that quiet!
Ah ze crazy Germans! They were obviously running out of ideas, and after driving 50 miles in the pouring rain stuck behind a big truck on a rural A-road frequented by agricultural vehicles they took one look at their dull, salt-mudded car and thought "I know!" "Ve vill make zis colour and call it meteor! - It vill polish-up good."

;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Very good Ian. :rolleyes:

As I've been saying for a while, I think I have the same issue Ian but I'm loather to drop the front too much more. The pic below (taken just now) isn't entirely representative as the driveway's a bit uneven and the car appears to settle more/less over a particular wheel depending on precisely where it's parked - the rear 'squat' isn't quite as pronounced as it appears here. But essentially, I think I do need to increase the forward rake and if that means winding down the front by a feww mm, then I guess that'll be another task for APS on Thurs. Way too cold to be tackling it myself today......!

Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Audi
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Tire
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel Rim

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Very good Ian. :rolleyes:

As I've been saying for a while, I think I have the same issue Ian but I'm loather to drop the front too much more. The pic below (taken just now) isn't entirely representative as the driveway's a bit uneven and the car appears to settle more/less over a particular wheel depending on precisely where it's parked - the rear 'squat' isn't quite as pronounced as it appears here. But essentially, I think I do need to increase the forward rake and if that means winding down the front by a feww mm, then I guess that'll be another task for APS on Thurs. Way too cold to be tackling it myself today......!
Thanks for the pics Joe... Yep, yours is exactly how mine was. I'll try and make it over on Thursday, so you can compare before adjusting. I won't wash it, so you can have a closer likeness! ;)

PS... I see it's snowing with you too!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'll try and make it over on Thursday, so you can compare before adjusting. I won't wash it, so you can have a closer likeness! ;)
Cool, was hoping you'd make it. Not much point washing it (and indeed, little opportunity to) if the weather forecast's to be believed - I only did mine (and spent 2 hours Auto Balming the f*cker) to remove all races of Audi's 'valet wash' from the paintwork.......

Has the snow reached your parts yet?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, was hoping you'd make it. Not much point washing it (and indeed, little opportunity to) if the weather forecast's to be believed - I only did mine (and spent 2 hours Auto Balming the f*cker) to remove all races of Audi's 'valet wash' from the paintwork.......

Has the snow reached your parts yet?

Oh yes... all morning on and off, but it's not settling, so no car-park doughnuts just yet... maybe I should go down to the playing fields and upset the vicar again?

;)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe you should keep those sorts of ponderings to yourself?
...oops... that was rather open to interpretation! I was referring to me doing donuts at the village fete... honest!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
...oops... that was rather open to interpretation! I was referring to me doing donuts at the village fete... honest!
Hehe I've often wondered about you Ian :p

Car looks good mate. As we've discussed before I was after this look but haven't bothered with it until I sorted the new wheels. Now changed mind on the wheels and sticking with the stocks until I work out what I really want. If I make it up to APS on Thursday I'll be very interested to have a proper look at your front ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Nice. Adjusted my STaSIS/Ohlins this weekend and it's MUCH improved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts