Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the MMI after taking delivery? If not, does anyone know if its possible. I picked up an orphan from the dealer so I didn't get to pick and choose but I would really like to add either the IPOD or HD hookup to the car. As for the crafty pullout area of the glovebox setup, I could really care less. All I really want is some cable to be available in the glove box and for me to be able to navigate to the media section of my screen and pull up the menu and navigate the folder, files, etc.

Is this possible after the fact of delvery?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Has anyone added the MMI after taking delivery? If not, does anyone know if its possible. I picked up an orphan from the dealer so I didn't get to pick and choose but I would really like to add either the IPOD or HD hookup to the car. As for the crafty pullout area of the glovebox setup, I could really care less. All I really want is some cable to be available in the glove box and for me to be able to navigate to the media section of my screen and pull up the menu and navigate the folder, files, etc.

Is this possible after the fact of delvery?
Well, adding MMI is one thing. A huge thing, but doable. Kufatec.de in Germany specalizes in doing things like this and some small outfits like craigyb's (see MMI area in www.navplus.us) one-person shop in the UK. Don't know about the U.S. Kufatec.de will ship the parts to U.S. of course, but the installation is really not for the unexperienced... It would involve replacing your Concert/Symphony radio with the diverse set of Audi MMI modules around the car. Read here for some more on what the MMI really is:

Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html

However, what you are really looking for is Audi Music Interface = AMI, if all you want is iPod/hard-disk hookup for music. You don't necessarily need to replace the radio with the entire MMI system for that. If your car is model-year 2009 (built calendar week 22/2008 or later) then your Concert/Symphony radio will already support adding a CAN based AMI (the MMI uses a MOST based AMI). Basically they just replace your glove-box and install the AMI setup there (or insert the AMI box inside the existing glove-box).

If your car is model-year 2008, then you may need to change your Concert/Symphony radio for a model-year 2009 one (unless a simple software update is available and enough, I don't have info on that - other than model-year 2008 radio as is won't support the CAN based AMI).

A really good site for asking Audi retrofit questions is www.navplus.us.

Lots of retrofit stories also here, many Audi A6 related retrofits are relevant with A5 too so you get an idea of scope of things and what needs to come out where:

http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/

AMI part numbers are here:

AMI (Audi Music Interface) part numbers / Notes on retrofitting AMI (A4/A5/A6)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5amiparts.html

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
AMI is available as a dealer accessory to fit. You dont need to rebuild the car putting MMI in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im pricing out a Full MMI install . I have contacted OEMpl.us . They are working on it. Has anyone done this yet? I might get an A5 that someone backed out on . It does not have NAV , so Im curious how much this will cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oem got back to me today. Full Nav install is approx. 5k. I will pass.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oem got back to me today. Full Nav install is approx. 5k. I will pass.
Curious - could you share the details of the 5K quote you recieved? I recently priced my AMI install and that was $1200 (but I don't think they realized I need a new radio or CAN Bus). If that's included in your price quote, I might have a talk with my dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts