Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

AC Refrigerant Refill Help

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  findalex 
#1 ·
So I recently did an intercooler install and during said install I accidentally opened my AC refrigerant line and vented out all my R-134a. I have been looking into refilling it with one of those kits sold in car stores, but some people are saying I really need to vent out the air in my system right now. Apparently if I don't do that then it won't be as effective or it could harm my AC system? If not venting out the old air makes it less effective then I am fine with that as I rarely used my AC to the max cold anyways, but I don't want to cause damage to the AC system, any thoughts?

#2 ·
That's the older style gas so does not cost much as new version. I am thinking in terms of cost. In UK a local garages charges £50 using their professional equipment. The DIY kits cost about £30+. When you have the AC gas refilled by garage. They don't just top-up..they empty the system and then refill. I think you be just wasting your money on this DIY kit.

#4 · (Edited)
You will want to have someone do it properly. It will need to be vacuumed and recharged. If it just had happened to be slightly low from a very small slow leak, then a quick recharge might have helped. The fact, much more or all was leaked in your situation, you will want the air vacuumed out.

If air pressure is introduced into the system, when you pressurize it up there will be an inadequate amount of refrigerant based on the pressure readings, as well as not enough oil/lubrication of the system. If you fill the amount of refrigerant that the system needs, with the air still in the system, then you will be over pressure.

#5 ·
Yes, you will damage your system if not refilled properly.

You have to vacuum out the system to ensure you the have correct amount of refrigerant in the system when you refill. Too much or too little will damage the system.

Also, if you left the system open to atmosphere, you will need to replace the drier that removes all the moisture that the vacuuming could not. Water doesn't compress, so having moisture in the system will damage your compressor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.