Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my A5 16/01/2009. Went to APS 30/01/2009 Remap & Milltek exhaust.

Since the mods I revved A5 @ standstill to hear exhaust and it won't rev over 2500rpm. It bottoms out.

Is this normal ???

Before the mods, I didn't rev A5 @ standstill so I don't know wether it did or didn't.

If the car is moving and I put it in neutral it revs all the way.

Anyone or 3.0tdi drivers...can you help ???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi Scouse,

If it's anything like the Petrol, there's a limiter when revving at standstill, I guess to prevent engine damage from over-revving. There's always a 'charge' of fuel and air in the system even after the fuel cut-off ( normal rev limit) that can allow an un-loaded engine to exceed safe revs, so at standstill, the limiter is reduced to 4,000 in the petrol... I guess it's the same for the Diesel at 2,500...

Any Diesel guys wanna confirm?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scouse,

If it's anything like the Petrol, there's a limiter when revving at standstill, I guess to prevent engine damage from over-revving. There's always a 'charge' of fuel and air in the system even after the fuel cut-off ( normal rev limit) that can allow an un-loaded engine to exceed safe revs, so at standstill, the limiter is reduced to 4,000 in the petrol... I guess it's the same for the Diesel at 2,500...

That sound about right..Cheers Ian :thumbsup:

Just wasn't sure if it had something to do with the remap.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I will confirm today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Scouse,

The limiter kicks in @ 3800 rpm for the Diesel (3.0TDI). I use it like a basic launch control. :)
But, perhaps the limiter has changed for MY2008 models... ?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
........and could also be different for different markets. Many have something to do with emissions too. Strange that it is so low, they have to rev the car beyond this for the MOT test in order to do emissions tests.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Scouse,

I am reving my 3.0 up to 3.5 - 4k on standstill.

I had APS remap done some time ago, no problems at all... hope it helps

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am reving my 3.0 up to 3.5 - 4k on standstill.

I had APS remap done some time ago, no problems at all... hope it helps

Cheers rino :thumbsup:

:help:
Anyone else 2009 3.0tdi?? fancy doing a bit of revving for me and letting me know where the limit is!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got my A5 16/01/2009. Went to APS 30/01/2009 Remap & Milltek exhaust.

Since the mods I revved A5 @ standstill to hear exhaust and it won't rev over 2500rpm. It bottoms out.

Is this normal ???

Before the mods, I didn't rev A5 @ standstill so I don't know wether it did or didn't.

If the car is moving and I put it in neutral it revs all the way.

Anyone or 3.0tdi drivers...can you help ???
Just got my A5 1.8 Back from a remap and the problem I had the car would not rev over 3 thouand revs, in any gear ,it went into safe mode driving , itwas not the remap , but the high pressure fuel pump, atrip to Audi fixed it up

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine's an 08 so can't help i'm afraid !!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Mine is 2008 and I have 3600-3800, but now sure 100%.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but on my '09 S5, if you turn off all of the traction control (ESP / ASR) you can rev it as high as you want, all the way up to redline.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Scouse5 - I just went outside to rev mine up for you. It flattens out at 2500rpm, the same as yours.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
So did anybody try my suggestion?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scouse5 - I just went outside to rev mine up for you. It flattens out at 2500rpm, the same as yours.
That's interesting to know....Cheers Serdinya. Perhaps it's normall :confused:

So did anybody try my suggestion?
I did thanks...it's still the same.

Just rang APS, phone rang out. So I've emailed Ed. (APS)
I did ask a guy there who answered the phone previously, but nobody came back to me :(

I'll update once I get a response from APS

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had email correspondance with Ed @ APS.

He has tried another A5 and that's the same..won't rev over 2500rpm.

So..At this point..It must be a safety feature!!

I will tho..clarify the point with Audi and update.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts