Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me or give me an idea as to what the problem is.

I have a 2018 A5 and a few weeks ago, I tried to unlock my car and it wouldn’t open. Tried to do this manually and still had some issues but eventually managed to get in after I kept trying to turn the key. This then happened again a few days later. I’ve been meaning to get it looked at but need my car for work so it’s difficult to get it booked in anywhere so I’ve just been leaving it unlocked.
Today, driving home from work, the notification came up onto the dash asking if the key was still in the car. Once I got home, I turned the car off and tried to restart it. I essentially got the message that you get if the key isn’t in the vehicle. I put the key fob onto the place under the arm rest but that still didn’t work… I’ve tried the spare fob and the problem is still the same so I don’t think it’s an issue with the fobs, more likely the car itself…
Does anybody have any ideas what the problem might be and what the solution/cost implications are?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
968 Posts
Sounds like the car isn't recognising the Keyfob, and to be honest sounds like an easy fix, swap the batteries ok your fob.

The car is still too new for a car battery replacement and I put my 50pence that it's the key fobs battery that needs replacing! I've already swapped mine and it's been a breeze.

Hope this helps,

~Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the car isn't recognising the Keyfob, and to be honest sounds like an easy fix, swap the batteries ok your fob.

The car is still too new for a car battery replacement and I put my 50pence that it's the key fobs battery that needs replacing! I've already swapped mine and it's been a breeze.

Hope this helps,

~Alex
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I did try with the spare key fob and it still isn’t making a difference… my worry is that it’s more the electrics in the car itself…

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Try placing the key further forward near the front ashtray. Failing that it could be sign of the BCM going faulty. Has it been jump started recently? Can you get it scanned for fault codes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the sake of a few quid do what alex said - change the batteries in both fobs… although my car told me to change the fob battery when it got low…. With comfort access i presume the keys are constantly emitting… so the batteries prob dont last long…. And fwi mine is a 2018 and needed new batteries in both keys late last year.

·
Registered
2014 A4Q/8K 6MT MMI 3G+
433 Posts
Get a diagnostic scan with Ross-Tech VCDS / OBDeleven / Carista / other VAG-aware tool and report fault codes associated with CECM/BCM J519 and CCM J393. The CCM is responsible for advanced key(fob) functions. --g

1 - 7 of 7 Posts