Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,

I've had my A5 for around 6 months or so now and i've recently started to notice an increase in wind noise and (dare I say it) a draft coming in from the drivers side door.

The Window is up and the door is closed and i'm sure it didn't do it before.

I also have a problem with rattle of the dash when I speed up a bit. This is a bit dissapointing as my old Golf didn't make this kind of noise.

Do you think I should take it to the dealer?

cheers

CT

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think that's one for the dealer to sort out. You shouldn't be having problems like that.

Could you also update your profile so we know where you are. Assuming because you've had the car for so long you will be in the UK?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Indeed, take it to your dealer.

My A6 did 100k miles and was six years old and never had a single rattle - neither did the two audis beforehand. Wind noise only increased from a worn-out door seal after 5 years.

I think you shoyuld expect better from your 5.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The window may just need realigning. I have noticed no draft but when you are cruising at a steady speed and on a decent road surface, you can hear the wind noise more than anything else. It isnt noisy. Its just that everything else is quiet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wind noise from frameless doors is quite common and had this on my old TT. Because I used to close the door by handling the glass, it became misaligned in the runner slightly, and was enough to cause the wind noise.

Regarding the rattle, I got a zizzing sound from the dash at a certain speed/road surface and seemed to sort it out by pushing/lifting the top of the instrument dial housing. Are you sure the rattle isn't coming from the glove box as mine used to rattle but have put a small foam pad (hidden) to make the closure tighter.

Simon

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My dash rattles around the sat nav display where the plastic is borrowed from a Kia I think...usually goes away after a good thump.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i have a rattle from the rear parcel shelf.

the massive wing mirrors do not help with wind noise at all. and i can confirm that at 143mph (private road of course) thats where most the noise comes from.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have a rattle from the rear parcel shelf.

the massive wing mirrors do not help with wind noise at all. and i can confirm that at 143mph (private road of course) thats where most the noise comes from.
Maybe that's where the whistling noise I heard above 120mph was coming from--I thought maybe it was the sunroof area.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This wind noise just started the other day notice it at highway speeds. Its coming from the drivers side. I hate to take it in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I assume you are not suggesting a good thump is the cure for the window noise?:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi guys,

I am having this problem with my newly purchased '08 S5 as well, coming from the drivers side. At speeds above 50mph, the wind starts to howl and it becomes very pronounced on the highway around 70+mph.

I bought it from carmax. They replaced the entire weather stripping for the door, which took the noise from a whistle down to a pronounced announcing whooshing sound.

I took my car to Audi and the service manager said it's just normal (think he was clueless).

Would Audi still honor the TSB (# 2017462/1) today if I took it in, or would they try to charge me? The car still has a couple weeks left on its warranty at carmax, but they and the local Audi dealer seem clueless, either telling me they can't hear it or that it's "normal". :no:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts