Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
No. The centre bore is different. Fitting them to the A4 will damage the suspension and major vibration issues.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi, will a set of A5 wheels fit straight onto a 2003 a4 cab? I have a friend who wants my spare a5 wheels and want to make sure. Cheers
It will not. Excuse me for not knowing the right English word, but Audi changed for the B8 platform (A5 and new A4) the size of something in the wheels from traditional Audi size to larger, same as Mercedes Benz uses apparently. Something to do with the connection points in the center of the rims.

I'm 100% sure old A4 (which current A4 cab is) wheels won't fit an A5, but someone with the correct name for the thing that changed please chime in so we get some accuracy to my answer. :)

BTW: New A4 B8 wheels also use different offsets than A5, wheels for A5 sit more "outside", but at least they are otherwise interchangeable between A4 B8 and A5.

Edit: Thank you morski!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, the center bore size on the A5/S5 wheels is 66.5mm, whereas for older Audi models it's 57.1mm. As loc mentioned, Audi changed the size for the new B8 platform.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
They will not fit!

Why do people want to put 'wromg' wheels on cars, it makes no sense to me at all!

TT
RG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will not fit!

Why do people want to put 'wromg' wheels on cars, it makes no sense to me at all!

TT
RG
Well thats you, but other people dont like to follow the heard and like to be a little different, be a boring world if we all had stock cars, very boring indeed.
And why are you sure they wont fit, have you tried??;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the center bore size on the A5/S5 wheels is 66.5mm, whereas for older Audi models it's 57.1mm. As loc mentioned, Audi changed the size for the new B8 platform.
I know that the bore will be bigger, but why would that make a difference? The old a4 cab has no extruding centre bore, so wouldnt the fact that the bore size is bigger make no difference as long as the stud pattern is the same?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know that the bore will be bigger, but why would that make a difference? The old a4 cab has no extruding centre bore, so wouldnt the fact that the bore size is bigger make no difference as long as the stud pattern is the same?
With a smaller center bore, you are more likely to have wheel mounting-alignment (not suspension alignment) issues. Meaning, it is more difficult to ensure that the wheels are installed perfectly centered on the hub. If you are off even by a MM (or less), it will cause vibration problems. These vibrations can (eventually) break the suspension and/or Quattro, among others.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
With a smaller center bore, you are more likely to have wheel mounting-alignment (not suspension alignment) issues. Meaning, it is more difficult to ensure that the wheels are installed perfectly centered on the hub. If you are off even by a MM (or less), it will cause vibration problems. These vibrations can (eventually) break the suspension and/or Quattro, among others.
Thanks for explaining. So basically, they can fit but if not fitted correctly it can cause problems?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Lots of people put mismatched hub center diameter wheels on their cars. You can correct for this using a hub centering ring or centering lugs (acorn-type). Just make sure you torque the lugs while the wheel is still in the air.

Every A5/S5 on this forum that is running RS4 wheels is running mismatched hub center diameter.

-Ray

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Every A5/S5 on this forum that is running RS4 wheels is running mismatched hub center diameter.
I'm not sure I follow you. :confused: In those countries like Germany and the UK where Audi offer the 20" RS4-style wheel (a/k/a, 7-arm twin spoke design) as an option for the S5, the center bore on the wheel would need to be 66.5mm in order to fit on the car's wheel hub would it not? If the center bore were smaller (e.g., 57.1mm), then the wheels wouldn't fit. I assume the 20" RS4-style wheels available for the A5/S5 from the factory have the proper 66.5mm center bore. Do believe that not to be the case?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you. :confused: In those countries like Germany and the UK where Audi offer the 20" RS4-style wheel (a/k/a, 7-arm twin spoke design) as an option for the S5, the center bore on the wheel would need to be 66.5mm in order to fit on the car's wheel hub would it not? If the center bore were smaller (e.g., 57.1mm), then the wheels wouldn't fit. I assume the 20" RS4-style wheels available for the A5/S5 from the factory have the proper 66.5mm center bore. Do believe that not to be the case?
I was under the impression that people were modifying actual RS4 wheels (or replicas). In that event, you can get a spacer (since you will be running spacers with that setup anyway) that is 66.5mm hubcentric on one side, and 57.1mm hubcentric on the other side.

Even without the spacer, it's not the end of the world, but you would probably have to bore out the wheel. You would probably never run a 57.1mm Audi wheel without a spacer on the A5/S5, though, because traditionally Audis have had very high offsets, whereas this car prefers 10-20mm less.

-Ray

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Well thats you, but other people dont like to follow the heard and like to be a little different, be a boring world if we all had stock cars, very boring indeed.
And why are you sure they wont fit, have you tried??;)
Of course I haven't tried personally!:confused: Why would I want to? The posts clearly show the different sizes and what is 'following the heard' about wanting my Audis to look like nature intended. Not into Frankenstein creations myself but appreciate we all have freedom of choice!:D

Cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They will not fit!

TT
RG
I asked if you have tried because you opened with the statement" they will not fit!" which i assumed you had tried, but obviously not as they do :D

and by "other people dont like to follow the heard" i ment exactly that, some people like yourself are quite happy to have a car that looks like other cars of that model, whilst others like to be a bit more individual. Id hate to have a car that looked exactly like others;). And by the amount of A5/S5 pice on this forum with new wheels/rims so would alot of other people. Just because they come factory fitted by audi, doesnt mean they look good, personally i think the a5 sport wheels look awful but others may like them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I asked if you have tried because you opened with the statement" they will not fit!" which i assumed you had tried, but obviously not as they do :D
Just FYI, my statements just say that you can mismatch a hubcentric wheel. I don't know enough about the A4 cab's fender clearance and their stock wheel offset to know whether or not A5 wheel won't just slam into the fender sheet metal. Because the A5/S5 runs 10-20mm more aggressive offset than most other Audis, I would measure first. Granted, we like to put 15mm spacers on our wheels, so the stockers are at least 15mm conservative -- in other words, it might fit but be very close to the fender on the A4. And then you have to compensate for any hub adapter thickness, if any.

It's like that old carpenter's saying: measure twice, cut once.

-Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.