Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying some wheel spacers once my A5 3.0TDI finally arrives but I was wondering whether you can answer these questions for me please:

1. What sizes should I go for?
2. Where can I buy them from and how much do they cost?
3. I'm assuming I can fit them myself or should I get a Garage to fit them?

Also, how much would it cost to lower the car as I'm thinking of doing this to?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You'll find relevant info regarding some of your questions in this thread.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already read this thread before and it doesn't answer all my questions unfortunately.
If somebody can advise I would be most grateful?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
1. What sizes should I go for?
2. Where can I buy them from and how much do they cost?
3. I'm assuming I can fit them myself or should I get a Garage to fit them?

Also, how much would it cost to lower the car as I'm thinking of doing this to?
Hi Billy,

1) Spacers max 15mm f/r
2) There's a variety of sources for the H&R spacers most forumees seem to have gone for - expect to pay around £170 fitted (inc the necessary extended wheel bolts)
3) You can fit them yourself, but my recommendation would be to have them supplied and fitted, particularly if you're also having the car lowered - effective 4 wheel alignment is essential if you're to avoid problems with uneven tyre wear.

Regarding lowering, H & R springs (-1") are only about £180 but fitting will be another £300 or so.

I'd strongly recommend (not least because you're in Beds and they're pretty close to you) giving Ed Jackson at APS a call or drop him an email ([email protected]) or call him on +44 (0)1280 840491. He'll give you a very competitive quote for spacers and springs fitted and they probably now have more experience than anyone in the UK of setting up A5s/S5s with these mods.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Billy, They're in Brackley... See their web-site.

Don't forget to mention where you heard about them!

Ian. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ianhp, your car looks very nice now. have you had any problems with speed bumps re. lowered suspension though? your arches look like their hugging the tyres very close.

we have alot of these crazy bumps round here. also, any effect on pot holes etc?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
No Problems with speed bumps yet, but I go steady over them! There's plenty on my normal driving routes and some pretty harsh ones too... No problems with the tyres and arches either even with four people in and going over the bumps. Pot-Holes... well I always hated them and they make me cringe when I have to go over them... with the car lowered, the ride is harder and pot-holes are felt more through the car... making me cringe more!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
pot holes, aargh...

anyway, what is our opinion on resale / pex with adi dealer if you've had these put on. i have never mnodified a new car so not sure what the dealer will think. knowing audi they'll probably frown on it and offer less. i know the spacers can come off but the springs...

what do you think?

also is your ride uncomfortably hard? i have sport suspension, is it the same as the S on standard?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hmm, I was gonna buy spacers and fit them myself, but now, I guess I'd have to get alignment done after? :confused:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
pot holes, aargh...

anyway, what is our opinion on resale / pex with adi dealer if you've had these put on. i have never mnodified a new car so not sure what the dealer will think. knowing audi they'll probably frown on it and offer less. i know the spacers can come off but the springs...

what do you think?

also is your ride uncomfortably hard? i have sport suspension, is it the same as the S on standard?
'
I have the old springs too, so for a cuple of hundred quid, I can put it back if advised by my dealer at PX time.

The spings are obviously stiffer, but the ride comfort is very good, due to the variable rate springs... on very, very poor road surfaces is the only time it can be uncomfortable... and I'm talking roadworks and gravel tracks here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm, I was gonna buy spacers and fit them myself, but now, I guess I'd have to get alignment done after? :confused:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but can't see why you would need alignment done after just fitting spacers? Just spacing the wheels out by 10-15mm shouldn't change the alignment in any way, or affect tyre wear should it?

I think the post about needing alignment was maybe reffering to fitting springs as well as spacers??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...I believe you are right. Spacers alone should not need alignment.

when fitting springs, you have not only undone and re-attached parts of the suspension, necessitating an alignment check but the lower stance requires some adjustment to the geometry... camber or toe-in or something like that!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Phew, nice to know I was right...doesn't often happen!! :)

I'd say you're right with both the camber and the toe-in Ian!

Lowering a car with single wishbone/strut front suspension tends to induce more negative camber, (top of the wheel tucked in compared to the bottom), and if this isn't corrected will wear the inside edge of the tyre quite quickly, and alter the handling.
The toe-in/out will need resetting for the same reasons, but will be affected more by the un-doing than the lowering if that makes sense?!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Great, I can order the stuff from APS and fit it myself then :cool:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i was curious whats the biggest wheel that can be put on an a5?? i have a set of rims frm my previous car 20inch by 9.5 willthat fit
The general consensus so far seems to be that sizes up to 20 x 10" will work just fine without any issues. However, please be aware that the new Audi B8 platform (i.e., A5/S5) uses a larger center bore for the wheels than previous Audi models. The center bore on previous Audi models is 57.1mm, while the A5/S5 center bore size is 66.56mm (the same as Mercedes).

·
Registered
2014 A5 B8.5 Cabriolet Quattro
14 Posts
Hello, I have a 2014 A5 Cabriolet Quattro original wheels with
ALY58912 Audi A5, S5 Wheel Silver Painted #8T0601025CA8Z8 size: 18"x8.5 et29 with 245/40/18.
I replaced with (TSW Bathurst silver #2010BAT255112S72 size: 20"x10" et25) square - all around with 295/30R20. Fitment and stance perfect no spacer/ no suspension mods. Tires & wheels approximately flush with finders, about 8mm under from flush on rear and perfect even on front. You could still add 8mm spacers on rear to be flush on rear. Definitely would not go any wider than 20x10 et 25 with 295/30R20 if you are going square all around and without suspension mods and because you have a Quattro transmission requirements and need to be square diameters on wheel/tire around vehicle. Hope my experience with fitting my A5 helps some folks out there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts