Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Two weeks ago I ordered a fully loaded S5. The dealer is telling me 7-12 months to get it. He calls today and tells me they can have an A5 here in 90 days.

Two questions:

A. Will the V6 be powerful enough, nothing else changes if i get the S-line A5?

B. Lets say I want the S5 in a year, Will I get hosed if I trade it in during the first year?

Thank you for your time and input.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A) The 265hp motor is plenty enough, trust me. Also, the A5 weighs about 200lbs less.

B) Resale values of Audi are one of the best. If you resell in less than one year, then your loss is very minimal.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you want an S5 I would just get an S5. Not sure of your location but they routinely become available in the US. I'm on my 2nd one myself.

Don't want to offend A5 owners, but the V8 makes the car for me. If I were to have a V6 I would probably be in a 335....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Once you have driven the S5, then you will notice the difference going to an A5. Like sizzle, a lot of the appeal is in the V8. Hearing that and the extra styling and handling is what makes the car for me. If i had to choose an alternative to the S5, then it would not be the A5. In fact, I possibly look at the Jaguar XF supercharged or even a BMW.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you want an S5 I would just get an S5. Not sure of your location but they routinely become available in the US. I'm on my 2nd one myself.

Don't want to offend A5 owners, but the V8 makes the car for me. If I were to have a V6 I would probably be in a 335....
Once you have driven the S5, then you will notice the difference going to an A5. Like sizzle, a lot of the appeal is in the V8. Hearing that and the extra styling and handling is what makes the car for me. If i had to choose an alternative to the S5, then it would not be the A5. In fact, I possibly look at the Jaguar XF supercharged or even a BMW.
+1 - V8 makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
+2 - as I posted somewhere else (again at the risk of insulting A5 owners - not my intention) I was drawn to the S5 specifically, not the A5 range. Had I not gone for an S, I too would have gone for another car, probably another marque altogether.

S5 is a model apart and the V8 experience is quite unique! Get someone to rev an S5 for you as you stand behind it and listen to the roar followed by the pops and bangs - I still chuckle like a kid each time I hear it!

·
Registered
435 Posts
No Red Seats in an A5. The A5 is over 500 pounds lighter according to the data I read online.

I don't know what colors and such you ordered, but I know there are people not taking delivery of their orders every day. In fact I know of one on a lot in NJ available to drive home today fully loaded gray with black interior.

Fuel Economy sort of goes out the window in my eyes because once you drive the A5 the way the S5 would have driven with ease, you will have eaten up the extra gas.

Oh and it's a V8. Have you driven a V8? Everything isn't just horsepower and torque. You know the difference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
One note on resale, if you trade in an A5 you will probably lose at least 8k off the sticker (if in US). A5 are going to be far more common than S5 and though the car does hold its value in the long run, the short term is pretty harsh. If you private sell the vehicle then you should be able to get a decent amount of that 8k loss back.

·
Registered
643 Posts
templarklimek said:
Gents,

Two weeks ago I ordered a fully loaded S5. The dealer is telling me 7-12 months to get it. He calls today and tells me they can have an A5 here in 90 days.

Two questions:

A. Will the V6 be powerful enough, nothing else changes if i get the S-line A5?

B. Lets say I want the S5 in a year, Will I get hosed if I trade it in during the first year?

Thank you for your time and input.
Are you in the US? Please update your profile to reflect your location. Helps when giving you advice such as this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you gentlemen, very insightful answers. I drove the A5 today and although it's no S5 it was still quick and a pleasure to drive. It was a A5
s-line blk/blk and so it had everything I wanted except the V8. It may be for sale if no one else on the waiting list for an S5 wants it. I will go ahead and buy it then.

If in a year or so I will consider the S5 or perhaps an RS-5. And I'm in Houston Texas.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Run don't walk!! That's exactly my order, if it's loaded. Buy and ENJOY! You know, despite the mere 265hp... :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts