Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting for the 5,000 mile oil change on my S5 at the local Audi dealership when a bored salesman asked if I wanted to take out an S-Line A5. Of course, I accepted.

I must say that I was very impressed with the A5's acceleration from a standing start. I guess that I expected a noticeable drop-off vs. my S5 but this was not the case. When I mentioned this to the salesman he stated that the A5 is lighter than the S5 and that the listed 265 hp. of the A5 is almost certainly an underestimate. Irregardless, as a guy who has been driving an S5since late November, I was startled by just how fast the A5 is.

So, if you're getting jerked around by Audi in terms of getting an S5, the A5 would be an excellent alternative. To me the difference in acceleration was hardly noticeable. Furthermore, the A5 runs about 10K less and its V6 sucks a lot less gas. BTW, this is not a knock against the S5 in any way. Heck, I have an S5 in my driveway and I love it. Rather, it is an acknowledgement of just how good the A5 is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dr, thanks for the input comparison, great insight.

Both are great cars and we're lucky to have them!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dr -

The Audi US brochure lists the 0-60MPH times for the A5 at 5.8 and the S5 at 4.9. So, a difference of 0.9 sec.

The best test on the S5 I've seen showed 4.8sec , but nothing for the A5.

Would you say the A5 was less than or around a 1/2 second slower than the S5?

Does anyone have times on the A5 (0-60MPH)?

Weight difference is 154 pounds (6sp).

However, the S5 has +83lb-ft of torque at 3K less rpms. Torgue is what gets you off the line. HP helps you with getting to the top end.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Have a look at this thread - Quattrings got his S5 to 60 in an incredible 4.47 seconds! I guess not two S5 engines are precisely the same in terms of output, and the same goes for the 3.2, so maybe he has a good one! Also have to remember that official performance stats are generally taken with 2-up and a full tank of fuel. But wouldn't be surprised if, one up, low fuel and a bit of practive, the A5 3.2 is a mid-5s car.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Let's not forget... 265hp isn't exactly low on power and 1 second 0-60 is still a relatively small amount... the upshot, all the 5s are quick cars. I think the biggest difference (although not driven the 3.2) is the S5 has more tractable power across the rev range, so it's quick even when not driven hard - if you get what I mean.

I drove a mate's focus ST the other day with 225 HP. (2.5l straight 5 turbo) and I cold have sworn it was as quick as the S5... until we had a 'spirited drive' with both cars... The S5 was 'comfortably' keeping up.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Believe me, there IS a difference. When we were at the mini OC meet, we had the S5 VS RS4, and me behind them in my A5 3.0TDI. At the lower end of the speedometer it certainly isn't all that noticible, but mid to high range the S5 somes into it's own and it really does pull away quite fast from the 3.0TDI.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Believe me, there IS a difference. When we were at the mini OC meet, we had the S5 VS RS4, and me behind them in my A5 3.0TDI. At the lower end of the speedometer it certainly isn't all that noticible, but mid to high range the S5 somes into it's own and it really does pull away quite fast from the 3.0TDI.
Oh yeh, a big difference, as we confirmed on the forth road bridge. That reminds me, Rab you had a chance to sort that video? As you were behind us (in 3.0TDI A5), it will show how fast the S5 and RS4 pull away from the A5 quite clearly.

All the 6 cylinder A5s are fast, but even though on paper they have 0 - 60 times that are close, those figures don't tell the full story. Also one other thing is the flexability of the V8, it just picks up speed without any issues with the lightest of touches.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One of my fellow Directors has an A5 3.0tdi, we have had a few 'spirited' drives in convoy and by his admission his car is very quick but not in S5 territory from mid range upwards. That said its a beautiful car and hugely impressive. Rab, I completely respect you for your reasonable comments, most owners would be on the defensive over a discussion like this but your response is honest and based on factual experience..I sincerely wish I had your fuel consumption ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
+ 1 on that isnt enough. Thats a big +100 from me ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 on that one too especially when it has been reported a garage up here is selling their fuel at £1.45 a litre:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks guys, good report.

I have had a great deal of apprehension to run my 3.2 A5 against any other car. I had driven an S and loved it, but with gas prices going the way they are, the choice was economical. After hearing the plaudits given to the 3.2 and the diesel (why can't we get one in the states?) I am going to take on any comers. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I have had a great deal of apprehension to run my 3.2 A5 against any other car. I had driven an S and loved it, but with gas prices going the way they are, the choice was economical. After hearing the plaudits given to the 3.2 and the diesel (why can't we get one in the states?) I am going to take on any comers. Wish me luck.
Ha! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
315 Posts
If an S5 pulls up to you, and you manage to keep up with it, it is probably an A5 with Silver Mirrors =P

·
Registered
298 Posts
All the 6 cylinder A5s are fast, but even though on paper they have 0 - 60 times that are close, those figures don't tell the full story.QUOTE]

I agree. The 1 second difference is actually bigger as the 0-60 times get smaller. Think of it this way, going from a 0-60 time of 10 sec to 9 is 10% faster. Going from 5-4 is 20% faster. And, its 20% faster than an already fast time.
Taking tenths of a second off of cars this quick requires a lot of power (these are not small differences). Another example, that Lambo that does 0-60 in 4.0 is much faster when compared to an S5 than the same 0-60 time differential between an S5 and A5. I don't have the formulas for this, but it is quite intuitive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Defending my A5.

As I mentioned previously, my A5 seems very quick. I haven't taken it to the track to verify times, but I very surprised and happy with the acceleration especially in Sport. After all I bought my machine because of gas prices and am very happy with my mileage. The one thing I noticed after road testing the S5 is that I felt the balance with the A was somewhat better. I live in the Phoenix area and we sometimes, usually after a rare rain, we get sand residue on the roads. What a blast to slide the A5 through a collection of sand. I believe the the weight of the lighter engine balances the car better and seems to be easier to handle. Oh, well, I love my A5!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts