Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine has a new 6 speed BMW 335i and I'm not so sure of the specs. He says he chipped the engine out too 300hp (he may be talking from his A%$). Question is: would the 3.2 L Quattro take it to him, or would it be close? Take in mind that both cars are U.S. spec. I'm no car expert; just want the one up for good ole at work converse! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 335i, and I'm going to be quite honest in saying I don't think it will be too close. The 335i is a direct competitor to the S5 more or less, with the 328i more in line with the A5 in terms of specs. If he is indeed chipped, that car will push out well over 300 hp since the engine is already underrated stock.

I can also tell you that the A5 looks a lot better when you're driving, so you do have the one up there :) But in a straight line and most likely through curves, I don't think it'll be a close race.

This video may help –
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI

The 335i edges out the S5 at the track, without a chip.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He thanks for the speedy response, now I'll no to keep my mouth shut at work! Damit - well my car will look better!

·
Registered
750 Posts
To add just a bit, there are a couple of members here who also drive an S5 who said you'll be able (in an S5) to take the 335 off of the start (thanks to all of the torque), but at speed the 335 (even un-chipped) takes the cake.

I agree on the looks, although my second choice was the 335. :cool:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
must be just me who thinks the 3series coupe can look brilliant

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hello.

I have got A5 3.0TDI and it should be pretty much same acceleration wise with the 3.2 V6 model.
Well, from 100-200KPH it takes 15 seconds for my A5, and 12.5 seconds for 335i.

I would say don't even bother unless you don't really care to lose.....335i is faster indeed.
However, tommorow I am getting my ECU remapped to 206KW and 600NM and that should be very, very close.

I also forgot to mention that I have raced 335d sedan some time ago.....he was about same power as my TDI.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone had mentioned that Audi SHOULD be coming out with a 300hp engine with the S Line package.... What would be the outcome of this... for BMW?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a beautiful car! Just to many on the road, and I think its lost its flare. But of course I live in Bavaria

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It is a beautiful car! Just to many on the road, and I think its lost its flare. But of course I live in Bavaria
Even here in Czech Republic I see lots of them.....and unfortunately lots of A5's too.:mad:
In first three months this year they have sold 40 A5's in Prague alone...that makes me mad....but one thing that makes me feel better is that most people don't order S-Line packet (wondering why) and don't even have good rims, just some not very good looking ones.

About E92 3-Series....lots of them over here, most of them without M-Packet and without this packet they look really ugly in my opinion. Once there is M-Packet on and for example blue metallic....they look just fine....:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here in the UK 5th Gear (Tv series) took a standard S5 and 335 and put them on the circuit. The 335 came out on top...just..I think it was fixed personally. So I would say that the 3.2 wouldn't be a competitor to the 335. It would be closer with an S5 though..

Here's the vid for interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
3 series (when lots of options selected and better engine chosen) can be very nice on the outside. The interior is a bit naff and they are as common as muck. If they sorted the interior then it would be a much harder decision. I dont think they can sort the image problem but then Audi runs the risk of suffering the same way in future if they keep churning out low cost versions of their cars. Prestige stops being prestige if you start trying to compete with Ford and the cars are common.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Theory

Refering to 5th gear review the S5 has more power but the 335i handles better. The issue with the S5 as was mentioned was that it was slightly nose heavy.

Now, the A5 is approx. 200lbs lighter than the S5. most of which is in the front end. Therefore in theory it should be less nose heavy and more balanced overall in handling esp. with a sports suspension.

My assumption is the A5 is being underestimated as a worthy competitor to the 335i.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5th Gear

Here in the UK 5th Gear (Tv series) took a standard S5 and 335 and put them on the circuit. The 335 came out on top...just..I think it was fixed personally. So I would say that the 3.2 wouldn't be a competitor to the 335. It would be closer with an S5 though..

What they should do is explain driver margin of error. Even the same driver can have different lap times on any given day, what is the margin of error in these tests?

Also the driver may have better feel to driving a RWD car than an AWD since they are more common. So i gotta ask what car does the test driver use to commute to work?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
dont get me wrong i love the A5, mine actually arrives on friday i hope :) i just think the BMW looks great aswell.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Let's keep it simple.
BMW 3 E92 is very good car....and beautiful too, but our A5's are just more tempting cars....:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everyday when i go to work as i turn round the corner in the multistory carpark i see this beautiful silver 335i with red interior that just stands out. I guess the A5 must REALLY be beautiful to look better than that :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Kenny, I've come to quite like the 3 series coupe - it certainly has a good dose of 'road presence' about it. My main problem with it is that they're just so common a sight - I see at least 3 or 4 every week, and they also look a bit awkward from some angles. The A5/S5 on the other hand has even more 'road presence' and is just drop-dead gorgeous in comparison to everything bar most Aston Martins (but then I am biased!:cool: )

Ian,
My biggest problem with this test (and indeed most 5th Gear tests) is the track they use. It's on Anglesey and is little more than a beefed-up go-cart track - all twists and no long straight or sweeping curves. It's also way too short. Put the S5 against the 335i on Top Gear's track in the hands of The Stig and I'm sure the S5 would be at least 2 seconds faster (ie not even close!)

That said, sapper424's original question at the top of this thread was about the 3.2 A5 vs 335i - again, no contest and not really that close either - the A5 has no chance against the twin turbos of the 335i, especially if it's chipped! Chipping a normally aspirated 3.2 V6 wouldn't really bring about much of a gain either (at least not in comparison to chipping a turbo car).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
yeah the BMWs are common but they are close in the looks dept i have to admit! but the A5 just wins but i mean just. but afterall i have bought an A5 so that tells its own story lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts