Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As for engines, I think the line-up with the addition of 2.0 TFSI (two different power outputs, 180 hp and 211 hp) is pretty complete for now - 2.0 TDI may be coming this year (170 hp?) and perhaps some different power-ouput versions of current engines as the range evolves. So 1.8 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TDI, 2.7 TDI, 3.0 TDI and 3.2 will pretty much be the options, although there has been some questioning what the future holds for 1.8 TFSI which is very close to the lesser power-output version of 2.0 TFSI.

S5 V8 4.2 will eventually be replaced by a V6 3.0 TFSI (kompressor), but that is probably a year or two away. Maybe this engine will also become an option on the A5 with less power output, the top of the line 3.2 FSI will probably not be around forever considering how the turbos evolve.

I think the most important future changes will happen in the power transmission area. Current manual and multitronic will continue for the foreseeable future, with some new additions like 2.7 TDI manual coming, but more importantly tiptronic will be replaced - or at least replaced on some models - by a new 7-speed S tronic (dual-clutch automatic).

It is also possible a rear sports differential will be added to some quattro models, so called "vectoring quattro". These power transmission changes may start trickling down to the model line-up as early as late this year or perhaps starting some time next year the latest... but who knows exactly.

Sure, some small changes to accessories and options will continue from model year to model year in May (and mid-model year change in November), but I think the most important changes pre-any-facelift-a-few-years-down-the-line are the engine options and especially the power transmission changes.

And of course the addition of A5 Sportback and A5 Cabriolet, maybe next-yearish?

P.S. CO2 has been reduced for most if not all A5 engines for model year 2009 (cars built on week 22/2008 and later).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Tiptronic does not feature on the update. The 2.7 Auto drops so you would hope it would! Do I place that order yet???!!!

TT (08)
RG
German Audi reported a CO2 drop on the 3.2 tiptronic as well. Don't know if that applies to Britain as is, but so far I think every single engine has dropped CO2... not sure about the 1.8 TFSI though.

The clearly biggest drop being for 3.0 TDI.

Here is the info I have collected elsewhere:

3.2 multitronic 207 -> 199
3.2 quattro manual 219 -> 213
3.2 quattro tiptronic 220 -> 215
2.7 TDI multitronic 179 -> 167
3.0 TDI quattro manual 191 -> 172

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1.8T seems to be holding steady at CO2 169 coming from 2008 to 2009 model-year, so that is so far the only one that hasn't dropped - again adding to the rumours and speculation that 1.8 TFSI in A5 may be headed for some changes in the future given the 2.0 TFSI 180 hp striking very close with superior everything, including far better CO2 figures. But who knows about these things.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Interesting... Did the dealer mean customer orders or just stcok-car orders (that would be sold later on to people who don't want factory order)?

Personally I've test-driven the 1.8T and don't consider it underpowered. It is quite snappy in my opinion if one sets the expectations right of course.

What does make the 1.8T less attractive is of course the superior 2.0T with less CO2/petrol usage and more power/torque. I can see why 1.8T might be headed for some changes.

Rumors for future A5 models seem to suggest at least dropping 1.8T in the future down to 160 hp to better fit in the line-up with 2.0T 180 hp and 211 hp models..

French seem to have dropped 1.8T from their line-up alltogether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.