Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -- I was going through the Auto Express website and came across this...

An A5 sportsback - a 5 door version of the A5..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/231339/a5_sportback_hits_the_road.html

Don't get me wrong I love my A5, but the fact that the A4 seems to be a poor imitation I feel is maring the looking and distinctiveness of the A5.

I also saw the new A3 cabrio the other night and the rear light cluster is exactly the same :(

To add insult to injury my wife pointed out an A4 and thought it was my car!!

Mallory

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Essentially a 4 door coupé then? Which I recon is how it will be marketed. i.e. the new passat coupe; Merc CLS etc.

I hate it. As well as the A5 estate which is rumoured to be released at some point in the near future, I hate that too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is my first Audi and yes I am impressed, but I spent near to £40k so I want something to stand out a little and not have poor copies made...

If Audi do bring out a sportback, estate and other versions of the A5 I think they will be in danger or watering down their brand..

For that reason alone I wouldn't buy another audi...

·
Registered
470 Posts
this is my first Audi and yes I am impressed, but I spent near to £40k so I want something to stand out a little and not have poor copies made...

If Audi do bring out a sportback, estate and other versions of the A5 I think they will be in danger or watering down their brand..

For that reason alone I wouldn't buy another audi...
+1, that's the gospel right there. the 5 needs to be a hardtop, 2-door coupe. That's the way Walter De Silva` designed it to be. Any fake variations they try to make will always look like a wart on the ass of Audi in my opinion

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yep... I Agree... the A5 should be a 2 door coupe only :mad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just looking at the Audi (UK) website and on the car configurator I counted 29 variations of the vehicles - and that's before you even choose your fuel type!!!

From the looks of it BMW do 27..

·
Registered
457 Posts
+1, that's the gospel right there. the 5 needs to be a hardtop, 2-door coupe. That's the way Walter De Silva` designed it to be. Any fake variations they try to make will always look like a wart on the ass of Audi in my opinion
Well stated.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Agree with Mallory...also......

Is there any truth that the Sportback will be launched as an S Line which will be discontinued after a short production run and then replaced by a Sport model ;-)

·
Registered
714 Posts
That spy photo looks like there's a Mondeo under the cover wearing 18" sport wheels.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I wonder if the chorus of 'No's to the Sportback and estate (Avant) are overlooking the fact that in some ways it was kind of inevitable given that the A5 and A4 are essentially closely-knit twins. Just as there won't be another A4 cabrio, with the A5 taking over soft-top duties, it looks like the A4/A5 Sportback variant (and there was always going to be one) will be given the '5' moniker instead of the '4', as with the Avant.

I can kind of understand the Sportback association (although I'm not happy with it either) as to me the 5 was/should be positioned as the aspirational/lifestyle range - but the Avant should firmly be designated A4. Bags of rubbish down the tip in an A5 derivative? Oh no, just won't do......

Looks like Audi may be trying to exploit the 'halo' effect, driving interest in what are essentially A4 variants by assigning them the newer, more coveryed A5 tag?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts