Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with a space saver wheel but I want to replace it with a full size spare.
I can source a wheel & tyre but will it fit in the space vacated by the original?

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Er no. A space saver is great cos punctures rarely happen and the space saver will get you home. Many new cars these days (our 2015 VW Tiguan, for instance) gets a bloody pump and a bottle of goo!!!. The manufacturers wish to save cost and weight so they no longer make room for a full size wheel. My old 2005 S4 has one BUT it has only 63 litres of fuel tank so the range is a joke.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Er no. A space saver is great cos punctures rarely happen and the space saver will get you home. Many new cars these days (our 2015 VW Tiguan, for instance) gets a bloody pump and a bottle of goo!!!. The manufacturers wish to save cost and weight so they no longer make room for a full size wheel. My old 2005 S4 has one BUT it has only 63 litres of fuel tank so the range is a joke.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed when touring in Europe. At least I do have a 19" space saver.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I had to use my space-saver a few weeks ago. The car drove fine with it on, including at 50mph. If you get a puncture then surely it's OK for even a few days if necessary until you get a new one fitted (or possibly 2 since you have quattro). Presumably you'll be taking a footpump or similar? I was surprised at how much extra air I needed to put into the space-saver once it was on.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I had to use my space-saver a few weeks ago. The car drove fine with it on, including at 50mph. If you get a puncture then surely it's OK for even a few days if necessary until you get a new one fitted (or possibly 2 since you have quattro). Presumably you'll be taking a footpump or similar? I was surprised at how much extra air I needed to put into the space-saver once it was on.
Very wise Dippy!! Who ever checks the pressure in the spare cos its buried and out of sight. Well I do before I set off on a long trip cos you never know, and I also carry a small compressor!! The space savers need to run at a high pressure (perhaps 60psi but check yours, it is stated in big letters on the side of the tyre) and as you mention you should not exceed 50mph so 80kph. When I damaged a tyre on my A5 the space saver got me home and then to the tyre fitter with no problem, just remember to go gently!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responding. Your experience of using a space saver is reassuring and your advice on carrying a compressor could be vital so I'll be putting one in the boot.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Or, chuck one of these in the boot!

I've used the kit once on my Gf's Mini with runflats. Easy, can be done with the wheel still on the car!! Most tyre garages are using this type of repair now.
Still need a foot pump or tyre air-compressor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should be fine with a space saver as long as you don't exceed the speed recommendations. One thing to note is that a space saver is meant to be used in the rear only. This unfortunately means that if a front tyre gets a puncture you have to first replace one of the rears with the space saver and then use the full size rear tyre to replace the front punctured tyre.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You should be fine with a space saver as long as you don't exceed the speed recommendations. One thing to note is that a space saver is meant to be used in the rear only. This unfortunately means that if a front tyre gets a puncture you have to first replace one of the rears with the space saver and then use the full size rear tyre to replace the front punctured tyre.
I didn't know that!, That's a little daft that it shouldn't be fitted to the front! :) I know some space savers don't clear larger front brakes.

Hence my suggestion of the puncture repair kit, then no limitations.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Yeah I never heard that one before, probably logical cos the space saver is generally smaller (I think mine on the A5 was 17") so you wont clear the discs on the front???. Luckily when I godda flat it was a rear tyre......

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
My car came with a space saver wheel but I want to replace it with a full size spare.
I can source a wheel & tyre but will it fit in the space vacated by the original?
The other point is that the larger and wider original wheels will never fit into the much smaller space that they now leave in the boot for the space saver........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Certainly it makes sense to have a "real" tyre on the steering wheels. So, for the sake of saving a bit of space & weight If I get a puncture on the front I'll need to change two wheels, drive at no more than 50mph until I reach a tyre shop and then buy two tyres. Thanks Audi!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
all of our cars come with a manual.
did you read it ??

I have a manual for a A5 Coupé MY2011
it does not mention, that the compact spare tyre should never be used on the front.
it only says not to drive faster than 50 mph ànd to check the tire pressure to be at 4.2 bar.

If it is necessary to drive with tire chains, the spare wheel must be mounted on the front axle in the event of a flat in a rear tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it is a general automotive principle to use space savers in the rear. Some space savers will actually say 'rear only' or something similar.

my comment relates to safety.

The issue is that the front tyres drive the vehicle (true for FWD but also quattros) and also have to steer. The forces from both of these combined actions are transferred to the ground via the contact patch of the tyre. A space saver has a lot less surface area for grip. The cornering grip is reported to decrease by 20% in the dry and in speeds under 50mph (i.e. during optimal usage conditions, therefore imagine the potential effect in suboptimal conditions). Braking distance is also affected.

Now relating to my comment for safety, picture the following: an A5 probably weighs 1600kg on its own, include the passengers on your roadtrip & luggage and it easily exceeds 1800kg or even more. Let's imagine that is also raining and that the road surface is not the best. Let's say you have to drive at least 30 miles or more with the space saver.

In this realistic scenario, I know I'd rather have 2 full size wheels at the front to grip and brake efficiently compared to driving with a space saver, especially if I have family in the car.

This is just physics, I don't expect to read this in an owner's manual personally.
I know there is more hassle to change a flat front rather than a flat rear but I have done it due to the above reasons, it only adds a few minutes to the job anyway.

Enjoy the European tour by the way, I am sure it will be a great experience!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've used the space saver on the front of my S5 without any issues, in fact I could hardly notice it was on. Obviously it was driven with much more caution and finesse but it was fine.
In my much younger and much more wreckless days I drove fully loaded with a space saver on at 90mph without issue so the 50mph limit is a very safe limit. (Please don't do that though).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
TPG, we don't disagree with you, but it doesn't state it cannot be used in the handbook, but what it does state is the limitations of the space saver or 'temporary wheel' for reasons you have put.

It is a get you home or to the garage device, not to be used as a normal road wheel.

I wouldn't want to use it purely based on the fact it's an ugly thing! It's like a disadvantage label or a Diane Abbott wrong shoe situation! :)

When I've had a puncture, luckily it's been local so I could blast some air in and get to the garage to have it fixed. Saves putting that ugly thing on. If it wasn't for the battery a full size whee could go in the well.

But to repeat, get one of those puncture repair kits, much better than the hassle of swapping the wheels or having the wheel of shame. :D

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
But to repeat, get one of those puncture repair kits, much better than the hassle of swapping the wheels or having the wheel of shame. :D
I have been told, that you have to replace the puncture repair kit, every 3 or 4 years.
apart from that, after using such a repair kit, by putting a fair amount of load into the tyre, you will have to replace the tyre, as it will be heavily out of balance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts