Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - BE VERY CAREFUL if you have your A5/S5 tinted. All was great and car was awesome until we took it in for a tint job today. The car came out and looked great, pay for the job, get in and get ready to drive off....and what's that, no Nav, no MMI, No Music, No Back Up Camera - what, can tint really do that? NO, it turns out...as I've done some research on here, it appears to be a common problem with A5/S5's in that water runs down into where the components for these features are (left compartement in the trunk), gets wet and wala...gone. As for now, I won't mention the place's name as they have promised to get it taken care of first of next week (they are closed tomorrow and audi service is closed) so have to go a day without the car. They are also offering to put me in a rental on Monday while they have the car so as long as they fix it, it works, and doesn't jack the warranty...all will be good:)

Anyone else have this issue - any experiences to share or watch out for?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Seem to recall there being some posts on this theme when I joined the forum back in Jan but I can't remember exactly what the issue/warnings were. Additional tints weren't important to me so I'm afraid I didn't take much notice.

Sounds like you've had a search (unsuccessfully) so hopefully others can help point you in the right direction...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A5 Tint Problem

Thanks Tuff, really appreciate. I saw some of the other posts and was hoping there may be more insight and/or experiences since then. But perhaps it will be a simple fix and the tint company will hold true to it's word...I sure hope so!:)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard you can take some extra time and really cover the unit located in the trunk with plastic first then towels of some kind although I've not seen anyone post something indicating they did this and it working....

Anyone have this work for them?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I checked with my dealer today and they are still not authorized to tint A5/S5s. I guess AoA hasn't come up with a solution yet. They said they are having the same problem with an A4 that they have right now as well.

They couldn't figure out why mainly A5/S5s in the southern states were suddenly having electronic issues and then realized that mainly southern state vehicles were being tinted!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Big bummer...totally understand your pain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I visited my dealer today to change the color of my long awaited A5 for the tenth time (my car was finally allocated yesterday) and was told that i "CANNOT" tint my windows. :confused:

can it be so?? its sunny here in Cali.... i need tint!

does that mean they will start voiding warranty if there is tint???

...and i cant wait for this car anymore!! :eek:

p.s. new here... alo!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I visited my dealer today to change the color of my long awaited A5 for the tenth time (my car was finally allocated yesterday) and was told that i "CANNOT" tint my windows. :confused:
So there was no reason provided to you? Was it perhaps the dealer just saying that they (at the dealership) cannot tint windows?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So there was no reason provided to you? Was it perhaps the dealer just saying that they (at the dealership) cannot tint windows?
I was told its the CAR that cannot be tinted. nothing about whether the dealer can do it or not. i wouldnt have it tinted at the dealer anyway, what a rip that would be! when i asked why, he did mention that it had something to do with electrical, but was vague.

My car was allocated as an '09, i'm hoping for a resolution???

·
Registered
750 Posts
Too bad they gave you such a weak respone...I live in Texas, and with black interior (or any color for that matter), you _need_ tinted windows. A couple of 113 degree (F) days in a row will remind anyone of that.

What would be great is if one of our resident gurus to post a few nice picts of how we could properly cover te electronics to help prevent the problem.

My car will be here in less than two weeks, and I will be getting it tinted (with my fingers crossed). I will try to cover up and take picts, but if someone else has already done so succefully (that would help a lot). Quatt? (grin)

I searched the forum, but didn't find any instructions. Hopefully, TX will come through as he always does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DDUB.
Far be it from me to slap you on the wrist but that was pretty careless given that messing around with tint & the potential exposure to the electronics was a known issue on this site. Let that be a warning to the newbies to use the search function going forward.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I searched the forum, but didn't find any instructions. Hopefully, TX will come through as he always does.
Did someone call my name? :) I found a post by Quatt and alta that has some suggestions. See here.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Like I said... ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The windows CAN be tinted. I had them done on my A5. However, whoever is doing it needs to cover everything completely and be extremely careful (especially in the rear window). I was aware of potential problems before my car arrived; fortunately, so was the dealer (in fact the sales mgr brought it up even before I had a chance to mention it). It may have been a bit more expensive, but that's exactly why I opted for the dealer to make the arrangements (dealer group custom shop did it); I figured it they messed it up, they would feel responsible and I'd have a better chance of the dealer/Audi fixing the problem than if I had taken it to a third party myself. The sales mgr took my car to their shop himself to make sure they did it properly. My windows look great (35% tint) and everything still works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All, I finally got my car back and all is good AND the warranty is 100% in tact - confirmed with the dealer. But yes, you need to be very careful and ensure it's all covered. Unfortunately, they couldn't really explain to me the best way to do it or I would post it....best way may be to go through the dealer like the last suggestion. Well worth the extra few bucks. The folks who messed mine up had to fork over $2000 to fix it!...sucks for them:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Still Tint Problems?

Wow!
Sorry to hear that other members are still blowing amps after the warnings. Indeed the prior posts in this thread are spot on with the precautionary measures you need to take to protect the amp and the rear deck subwoofer.
Definitely select someone insured so they are financially liable in the event something goes wrong.
Now that my amp has been replaced ($1,300.00 for the amp and $350.00 for labor) and I have been driving the car now for a couple of weeks the B&O system doesn’t seem to be the same as before. I sat in Quatt’s car after he changed his subwoofer and it definitely sounds much better with the mods he performed. (Can’t remember where I saw his post)
Overall I am extremely disappointed with the B&O system compared to the performance of my Q7 Bose system. The sub just doesn’t kick as much as I would like it to (for a premium upgraded system) and the settings need constant tinkering depending on the genre of music your listening to.
Good luck fellas!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts