Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wish to have a deeper level of insight into what makes up the A5 & S5, the Self-Study Service Training manuals ($27.50 US each) are quite interesting. These are not repair manuals, but overviews designed to teach the design and function of the new models, components and technologies.

They are available from the Audi of America Technical Literature Ordering Center.
They can be ordered from Audi USA at this link==>http://www.audi.ddsltd.com/
It does appear that they can ship to anywhere in the world. The order form has a destination drop-down for world-wide locations.

The Vehicle Introduction Manual (#997703) is 81 pages of good color depictions of the whole car, including illustrations of the body shell components, the new transmission/differential/front axle configuration, manual & auto transmission and clutch design, and an overview of the running gear. It also includes high level block diagrams of the electrical and infotainment systems. I must note that there is precious little detail on the engines. There is one spec-level page each on the 3.2 L V6 and the 4.2 L V8.

The volume on Running Gear (#999703) is 50 pages and shows in fair detail the front and rear axles, wheel alignment and steering. They also spend 20 pages on the brake system, with detail on how the new electromechanical hand brake works.

The volume on Networking (#99A703) is 35 pages of high level block diagrams, pictures and color illustrations of the fuses & relays locations, electrical and communications/data buses and the control modules that run the car.

I have not ordered the volume on Convenience Electronics (#998703) yet. This the fourth and final volume in the set of service training manuals.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered the intro manual and all the owners guides.

Hopefully it'll now spur me into ordering the actual car :)

BR,
Steve

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've had access for some time to all Audi/VW SSPs through some family connections, and I must say they're supremely interesting and helpful. I already know a ton about my new car inside and out, and I won't have it for some time. I'm an engineer, so the nitty-gritty technical details are always enjoyable for me, even if they're far more than the average person needs to know. Yeah, I get off easy by being able to get them at no cost, but I can safely say that if you have a mentality like mine, you'll find them well worth the price.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've had access for some time to all Audi/VW SSPs through some family connections, and I must say they're supremely interesting and helpful. I already know a ton about my new car inside and out, and I won't have it for some time. I'm an engineer, so the nitty-gritty technical details are always enjoyable for me, even if they're far more than the average person needs to know. Yeah, I get off easy by being able to get them at no cost, but I can safely say that if you have a mentality like mine, you'll find them well worth the price.
'
+1 ...I'm an engineer too. This stuff sounds fascinating!

:)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I love this kind of stuff. My birthday is 2 weeks. I will ask the wife to get them for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just ordered today, too. Thanks for the tip. Did anyone else notice that the checkout page was not secure? I phoned in my order.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy the reading guys.
Although I am not an engineer by training, as a racing fan and I/T technical person, I always like to know how my cars work.

As for more information on engines, the Audi site shows several volumes.
# 921603 is for the 4.2L FSI V8. It is based on the Q7 V8 and the RS4 High-revving unit. It is about as close as we can get now for the S5 unit.
It is facanating how they describe RS4 engine details to differnentiate it from the Q7 4.2L. It has lots of upgrades.

I find the basic 4.2 engine to be quite remarkable. For instance, it incorporates chain drives for the cams (no belts to adajust or worry about breaking) and a chain driven accessory drive to run the coolent pump, oil pump, power steering pump and AC compressor. Much like accessory drives on high end competition engines. The only belt driven item is the altenator. If you are really into engine design, it describes how the connecting rods are forged as a one piece unit and then cracked after forging at a predetermined breaking point using a special tool. This ensures a ultra-precise fit of the lower end of the con rod.

# 923603 is for the 5.2L FSI V10 used in the S6 & S8. Interesting reading on the V10.

# 924603 is for the 3.2 and 3.6 NARROW ANGLE V6 used in the TT and A3. It is NOT THE A5 V6.

Lastly, # 962103 is "Quattro: The Evolution of Audi All-Wheel Drive" It has only 3 pages on the Torsen system in the A5/S5 and 2 pages on the Electronic Differnetial Lock. The remainder of the publication is on the Haldex system used in the TT.

Final note. The above publications are also available from Bently Publishers.
http://www.bentleypublishers.com

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts