Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorweek tested the A5 and S5 this week and the results were kinda disappointing. Audi claims on their websites that 0-60 occurs in 4.9 sec and many US car magazines have run the S5 between 4.7 and 5.1 sec for 0-60. However, on MW, they got a 0-60 time of 5.5 sec and a quarter-mile time of 14.2 at 100mph!

John Davis also said the car has a clunky shifter (which I've experienced shifting into 3rd), a grabby clutch, and a horrible 60-0 braking distance of 137 feet. Anyone else notice brakes being that bad?

I can't stand MW and John Davis. He is so annoying with his quirky, stupid comments. I watch the show because I love cars but they really need to get rid of John Davis, bring in a few Brits and make the show more like Top Gear.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Motorweek tested the A5 and S5 this week and the results were kinda disappointing. Audi claims on their websites that 0-60 occurs in 4.9 sec and many US car magazines have run the S5 between 4.7 and 5.1 sec for 0-60. However, on MW, they got a 0-60 time of 5.5 sec and a quarter-mile time of 14.2 at 100mph!

John Davis also said the car has a clunky shifter (which I've experienced shifting into 3rd), a grabby clutch, and a horrible 60-0 braking distance of 137 feet. Anyone else notice brakes being that bad?

I can't stand MW and John Davis. He is so annoying with his quirky, stupid comments. I watch the show because I love cars but they really need to get rid of John Davis, bring in a few Brits and make the show more like Top Gear.
I think the S5 brakes could be better than what they are.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just finished up the video from MotorWeek. Should be accessible on YouTube shortly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I watch MW only intermittently and think it's reviews are very shallow. They resemble infomercials in the way they treat their subjects-all hype and no substance. And the fact that their performance figures are so off base shows that they don't do a good job of evaluating cars.

Other than the figures however, it was a very positive review. If someone on the forums is motivated, it may be worthwhile to question their process and point out out the huge variance from performance figures achieved by so many other reputable sources.

·
Registered
27 Posts

They can't launch a car for the life of them. They are the only ones who would measure trunk space on a Lamborghini and knock off a point because there wasn't enough space for his toupée.

I would love to see Top Gear review these cars.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Top Gear is a great show but I don't think they would rate the S5 as highly as we would like, its probably a it too 'GT' for them and I don't think their magazine test was especially complimentary from memory. The RS4 however as most of us know received huge praise from Clarkson. Did Motorweek ever review the RS4 ?? Be interesting to see how their report compared to Top Gears

1 - 9 of 9 Posts