Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know little of the american market. What would a pom living in Oz know anyway?! lol. But I suspect the Cadillac CTS will win this competition hands down. Why? Because most motor magazine awards seem to err toward a domestic winner, its probably cheap compared to its imported rivals and more significantly, according to CAR magazine, actually pretty good too. I suspect Europhiles may think the design a bit gaudy and has the bling overtones of Chrylser's 300C. Probably won't appeal to most Euro tastes then. But I think americans who like the idea of being able to buy an american car that might actually be quite well made for once and apparently handles well too - should ensure its success in its domestic market. So its asking too much of almost anything imported to beat it in a review like this.

PS. As I've no idea what some of the american models are that it's competing against, my comments are largely aimed at why an S5 has no chance in a review of this kind. And a Ford Focus in america could be a completely different car to the Focus we know in europe and australia. Is it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Value: Priced in the $40,000-$55,000 range, A5s and S5s won't come cheap, but in price, power, and size, they fill a market niche wedged in between BMW's 3 and 6 Series coupes and Mercedes-Benz's CLK and CL-Classes, with pricing closer to the lower end while the style, creature comforts, and power skew toward the larger coupes.

Couldn't of said it better my own bmw trading in and mercedes passing on self.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know little of the american market. What would a pom living in Oz know anyway?! lol. But I suspect the Cadillac CTS will win this competition hands down. Why? Because most motor magazine awards seem to err toward a domestic winner, its probably cheap compared to its imported rivals and more significantly, according to CAR magazine, actually pretty good too. I suspect Europhiles may think the design a bit gaudy and has the bling overtones of Chrylser's 300C. Probably won't appeal to most Euro tastes then. But I think americans who like the idea of being able to buy an american car that might actually be quite well made for once and apparently handles well too - should ensure its success in its domestic market. So its asking too much of almost anything imported to beat it in a review like this.

PS. As I've no idea what some of the american models are that it's competing against, my comments are largely aimed at why an S5 has no chance in a review of this kind. And a Ford Focus in america could be a completely different car to the Focus we know in europe and australia. Is it?
Let me preempt me comment here by first saying that the S5 should have won. This is obvious given that mine is due to arrive in April. I do want to be fair to Motor Trend though. As a regular subscriber, I have seen the vast majority of awards given to Japanese made vehicles rather than domestic, although recently American vehicles have been seeing some good press. Having said that, I do get tired of Motor Trends BMW bias. Even after recently writing that the Infiniti G37 beat the BMW 335 i, they still refer to the 3 series as the benchmark- seems odd to me. Anyway, I digress. The most important comment in the S5 review was that the S5 was the most fun to drive, and won every performance test. The most important comment of all though comes from me. The A5/S5 is the winner!!! Why? Because I bought one. Because you bought one or want to buy one. There are many cars that we could have purchased instead of this one but didn't because this is the best for us. So, the next time someone says to you you should have bought car x, or they like car y better, tell them to go buy it. I drove them all and I like this one the best so I will stick to this one! Sorry for this mild rant, I just had to say it to people who care:) BTW, as an American I can say that you are absolutely right. Americans are craving the day that a domestic offering is as smart a choice as the others- to regain that pride in the home grown product that was so prevelant until the late 70's (can you say K car). I believe that day is coming fast if it is not already here, so I would say your insight from so far away is perfectly on target. But for now, S5 wins in my review! Maybe my next car will be from Detroit- we shall see!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts