Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
My S-Line order arrived on Saturday. I've decided to not buy it, for a variety of reasons... none of which has to do with my appreciation for this car.

Many people have asked to see comparisons of S-Line vs. Regular A5, so I took a couple pics for you to check out. The grill is very similar, but the sides and interior more than make up for it. The panels near the fog-lights, rear valence, seats, and black headliner (headliner doens't sound like much, but I felt the light gray rear-view mirror stood out A LOT compared to the black) are the most prominent S-Line features.

I've also heard a lot of negative talk regarding Quartz Gray on some of the various Audi forums on this vehicle, but let me tell you.. in person, nothing beats it, imo. I'm extremely pleased with the color. It looked far more refined than the Meteor Gray and Dark Blue (can't remember the name).

Drive-wise, the car is not nearly as brutally powerful as the S5, but definitely handles as well, and the S-Line gives great lateral support.

If anyone is interested, Byer's Auto in Columbus, OH has one for sale with a MSRP of $50,840. Lovingly selected by your's truly. :)

2008 A5
Quartz Gray / Black
Premium
Tech
S-Line
Nav
B&O
Convenience

Non S-Line

S-Line

Non S-Line

S-Line

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thanks for all the photos, jd! Very cool of you to take some comparative shots. Those fog light areas really look like dirt (etc) catchers.

I can't quite tell. Are the tires Dunlops?

Is it me or do the seats look a bit saggy in the bottom area already?

You're right, that color is beautiful and you captured it really well.

Last but certainly not least - WHY!? You can't just walk away and not tell us!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks for the post, jd! I'm sure a lot of folks here will appreciate the great comparison shots you have provided. Sorry to hear you will not become an A5 owner, though. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires are Dunlop all-seasons.

The seats are stitched more loosely than my A4, but they're softer, and still feel of high quality. One of my complaints about the A4 was the toughness of the leather.

Figured you guys would want to know why I walked away from it. 2 main reasons...

1. They removed the A5 / S5 from the Audi Supplier program about halfway through the order. That took away a 6% discount.

2. I'm leaving town for a 2 week vacation in less than 2 days. I told the sales guy when I ordered that this would be the case, but the complete inability of Audi to predict when a car would hit caused mine to arrive at the most inopportune time possible. The timing did not allow for me to sell my current vehicle to a private party.

All-said, this cost me (in my estimation), $7,000 if I were to have driven it off the lot today. While this seems almost inconsequential after driving the car, I know I'll hate the concessions I made when it comes time to sell.

I plan on reconsidering the A5 / S5 in September, when it's time to order 2009 model years.

·
Registered
487 Posts
JD...

Glad you are going to be getting a 2009 model. For now you can be jelous as I drive by the Polaris area and your watching from your office. However, come this time next year, I'll bet it will be the other way around and I'll be jelous of you with any and all enhancements that will be coming for the next model year.

Great pics and comparison. IMO I still like the exterior of the A5 (non-s-line) versus the A5 (s-line) version. EXCEPT: The rear diffuser for the s-line which is really awesome looking...

Good to know all-seasons came with the 19" option and yeah my seats looked the same way (loose).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the pics, sorry to hear you won't be gettin it as well.

So the seats don't have S-Line stitched into the seat? I thought they did?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So the seats don't have S-Line stitched into the seat? I thought they did?
For certain other countries, yes. But, it doesn't appear they'll be coming to the U.S. that way. I had made that observation last week when I saw an S-line demo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I saw your A5 S-line at Byers. I got to test drive the Demo A5, and was surprised with the power. I'm thinking about leasing the one you had ordered, but I need to get the lease payment just right.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the non-S-Line and I love it! I live in Powell...

·
Registered
1 Posts
jd cincy, i test drove that car last week at byers! the salesman was new and basically didn't know 75% of my question:cool:

why did you refuse it? there was two other regular A5's, but your S-line was nice and that Quartz Grey is really nice looking.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
has any one noticed that the S-line seats are EXACTLY the same as the non-S Line seats. What am I paying more for then?
Um, are you sure about that?

In the U.S., the S-line A5 comes with "sport" seats whereas the non S-line comes with what I refer to as "standard" seats.

See this thread.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Um, are you sure about that?

In the U.S., the S-line A5 comes with "sport" seats whereas the non S-line comes with what I refer to as "standard" seats.

See this thread.
the comparison pics you linked to illustrate my point exactly. I wouldve thought that paying that much extra for the sport package would get you nice recaro seats like the s4 or RS4 have in them. Nope...you get $5 worth of side bolstering and the same cheap looking leather. If BMW and Mercedes have one thing on audi, its the texture of the leathers they use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
S-Line vs Non-S-Line

I'm heading out right this moment to order an S-5 and still don't know what color I want.

Also having trouble seeing the diff in the two styles!

I would like to see side by side photos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.