Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife's Audi A5 cabriolet (2010) roof seals pouring water into cab every time the car is driven. (obviously after rain)
have checked the seals for blockages and the drains are clear.
water doesn't come in until the car pulls away.
any suggestions as my wife is beginning to lose it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. To begin with yes.
Then as she pulls away it pours onto the back seats from all of the other joins.
I just can't seem to get the water to drain away as it should.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That sounds pretty severe to the point where I'm wondering if the roof is closing properly. I've noted that one of the drains down the side of the windscreen can somehow get air locked without an apparent physical blockage.

I think I would:

1] get it completely dry
2] put the hose on it until it just starts dripping inside focusing on the windscreen cross bar one corner at a time
3] open her slightly and find where the water is and focus there
4] on the ducts, pass down some strimmer cutter wire checking for obstruction, gently as damaging the ducts is a really bad idea.

You'll likely encounter some plastic frits inside some of the ducts that keep them open - careful with these, they feel like blockages but they are there by design so you need to be very gentle - you probably won't be able to get the cord down all the way. You can feel these frits by squeezing the seal assembly. If you don't want to risk damaging the ducts, you could try gently passing warm water down using a 50mL syringe from amazon. Sometimes the garage will use a high pressure line to clear the ducts but I hear that this can burst them..

If its the windscreen pillar do it with the door closed and open as the door closure appears to reshape the seals assembly - dry it all close it and repeat the hose test. I would also clean the roof seals with a vinyl-rubber cleanser and grease them with vaseline and the door seals if you can - getting vaseline on the frameless window seals creates a bit of a mess - best avoid.

Water leaks are a pain in the arse. The dealer will try to replace various seals and there was apparently a redesign to stop this sort of thing (not the dealer, the seals), but tbph I prefer to spend ages faffing around in the driveway trying to fix it myself. Its all at your own risk of course, but if you are careful you should be ok and hopefully the leaks will stop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could always give the roof seals a good coating of Dupont Krytox, it helps to keep the seals nice and supple also prevents squeaks and rattles, the EOS guys use it at least once a year. What ever you do don't use WD40 or Silicon as it dries out and makes things worse IMHO.

Mick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts