Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is repost but here's a comparison between MSRP and invoice for the A5. I hope dealers are willing to negotiate...
Link: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/audi/a5/100939853/prices.html

I'm also abit confused on the leather, I thought that "Genuine Milano Leather Seats" come standard on the A5's but apparently it's a 1000 dollar option... hmm. Anybody know what's up with that?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I know I might get flammed for mentioning the 335i, but for the sake of comparison based on price, here's the break down from my configuration:

Auto A5 $41,200
WQB S line Sport Package $2,900
PND Audi Navigation Plus w/Audi Music Interface $2,390
WPX Premium Package $1,850
9VK Bang & Olufsen Sound System $850
-- Metallic and Pearl Effect Paint $475
6W3 Front License Plate Holder $0
0LM California Emissions $0
Destination Charge $775
MSRP: $50,440
Invoice: $46,919

335i $40,800
ZPP Premium Package $2,550
609 Navigation System $2,100
205 6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission $1,275
ZSP Sport Package $1,100
322 Comfort Access $500
MET Metallic Paint $475
6FL iPod and USB Adapter $400
2XA Paddle Shifters $100
4AS Gray Poplar Wood Trim $0
Destination Charge $775
MSRP: $50,075
Invoice: $46,090

Also, there will probably be a greater discount on the 335 since it's been out for awhile now.

I know the 335i is played out and the styling isn't as good as the A5 but when they are similarly equipped the 335i seems to be a better bargin. Granted I'm also using rwd version instead of the awd for the BMW. But I live in So. Cal. so it's not a big deal what the driveline is for me.

I hate to admit it, but right now I'm not sure if I want to go for the "ultimate driving experience" or the unique styling/refinement of the A5. The dilemma...
Hope you guys can give me some insight.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
A5Addict, I think it would be more fitting to compare the 335 diesel? Unless that's that you are comparing.

Here in the UK a similar spec 335d coupe is quite a bit more expensive when you add on all the toys.

True, BMW will give you a discount at their discretion. Audi seem not to want to hand out discounts on the A5 here in the UK. Purely because there's a high demand at the moment and it wouldn't make sense!

I do think, though, that the A5 will be far more exclusive. As soon as the BMW 3er coupe was launched here in the UK, there was loads of them on the roads. Right now i'm glad i didn't go for one, because there are loads of them! BMW really isn't the exclusive marque that it used to be.

I know people aren't happy about the lag with delivery of their cars. But there comes that bit of exclusivity... those longer waiting times; less cars being pruduced, means that depreciation values are BETTER for Audi owners. BMW are still throwing 3er coupes out of the factory doors, at high demand times, still within the 6-week delivery period!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm in total agreement with Rab, 3 series coupes are everywhere, I'm in Reading at the moment and I still haven't seen an A5 on the road yet. Only seen an S5 a couple weeks back and that was in Central London.

When your paying that much money - whats a grand here or there, oh and the price difference comes from the quality of materials, the interior on the BM is nothing incomparision to the A5. On the plus side the engine and drive of the 335i is excellent.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm also abit confused on the leather, I thought that "Genuine Milano Leather Seats" come standard on the A5's but apparently it's a 1000 dollar option... hmm. Anybody know what's up with that?
I believe those have always been listed as a stand alone option on the A5. Check out this thread which contains the 2008 model year order guide. You'll notice on p.23 that it lists genuine Milano leather seats as an option.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/preliminary-specs-153/index.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Rab88, I live in the U.S. and they don't offer diesel but only petrol for us folks. I definitely agree about the exclusiveness that the A5 will offer since I see the 3 series on roads here everyday.

Txcarguy, thanks for the link... I guess I skipped that part. Do you happen to know what kind of leather the A5 will offer as standard? Or is it some kind of leatherette? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I was under the assumtion that the US was getting the 3.0TDI before any other A5s?? :eek: You don't know what you're missing :D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Refer back to the reliability list that was posted in the Lounge and that should help with your decision.

Good luck on the purchase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What irks me right now is that the A5 doesn't come with premium leather seats (BMW premium leather is included in their package). Also the possiblity that the 09 A5 will get drive select and torque vectoring, which seems just like around the corner when you're purchasing an 08 A5 next year. I haven't even added the technology package either. Argh...

Edit: In regards to reliablity, Audi does indeed have a better reputation but the BMW has free maintainance for 4yrs/50,000 miles with roadside assistance blah blah... I plan to keep and finance the car for 5 years - the extra year/miles shouldn't be that costly unless something terrible does happen. Right now BMW Financial Services are doing 4.99% financing for 60 months for the 335i coupe, which seems very tempting.

I'm not trying to take away anything from the A5, it's still a great car but when everything comes together I'm just not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Txcarguy, thanks for the link... I guess I skipped that part. Do you happen to know what kind of leather the A5 will offer as standard? Or is it some kind of leatherette? Thanks.
You're welcome. Sorry, but I have no idea about what kind of leather comes standard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What irks me right now is that the A5 doesn't come with premium leather seats (BMW premium leather is included in their package). Also the possiblity that the 09 A5 will get drive select and torque vectoring, which seems just like around the corner when you're purchasing an 08 A5 next year. I haven't even added the technology package either. Argh...

Edit: In regards to reliablity, Audi does indeed have a better reputation but the BMW has free maintainance for 4yrs/50,000 miles with roadside assistance blah blah... I plan to keep and finance the car for 5 years - the extra year/miles shouldn't be that costly unless something terrible does happen. Right now BMW Financial Services are doing 4.99% financing for 60 months for the 335i coupe, which seems very tempting.

I'm not trying to take away anything from the A5, it's still a great car but when everything comes together I'm just not sure which way to go.

Would you like to be stuck on the side of the road after 2 years everyday?

If yes. BMW

If No. Audi.

BMW's "free maintainance program" is all BS. My sis has a BMW 530i and she has to pay 50 bucks for oil every 3 weeks b/c the damn car seems to run out of oil. Then again VOB is the worst dealer in the world.

just my 2 cents. Good Luck in your purchase.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts

What IS the deal with the milano leather upgrade? It was the one option I didn't order because the salesperson said it basically means full leather wrapping instead of leather only being in "seating areas". Is that right?

I was told that once I purchase, I can add full maintenance included over those 4 years for $490. Seems like a bargain to me, but I'll have to check out the fine print when it comes time to decide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What IS the deal with the milano leather upgrade? It was the one option I didn't order because the salesperson said it basically means full leather wrapping instead of leather only being in "seating areas". Is that right?

I was told that once I purchase, I can add full maintenance included over those 4 years for $490. Seems like a bargain to me, but I'll have to check out the fine print when it comes time to decide.
I was told by my dealer not to buy the milano leather, because its a waste of money!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know I might get flammed for mentioning the 335i, but for the sake of comparison based on price, here's the break down from my configuration:

Auto A5 $41,200
WQB S line Sport Package $2,900
PND Audi Navigation Plus w/Audi Music Interface $2,390
WPX Premium Package $1,850
9VK Bang & Olufsen Sound System $850
-- Metallic and Pearl Effect Paint $475
6W3 Front License Plate Holder $0
0LM California Emissions $0
Destination Charge $775
MSRP: $50,440
Invoice: $46,919

335i $40,800
ZPP Premium Package $2,550
609 Navigation System $2,100
205 6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission $1,275
ZSP Sport Package $1,100
322 Comfort Access $500
MET Metallic Paint $475
6FL iPod and USB Adapter $400
2XA Paddle Shifters $100
4AS Gray Poplar Wood Trim $0
Destination Charge $775
MSRP: $50,075
Invoice: $46,090

Also, there will probably be a greater discount on the 335 since it's been out for awhile now.

I know the 335i is played out and the styling isn't as good as the A5 but when they are similarly equipped the 335i seems to be a better bargin. Granted I'm also using rwd version instead of the awd for the BMW. But I live in So. Cal. so it's not a big deal what the driveline is for me.

I hate to admit it, but right now I'm not sure if I want to go for the "ultimate driving experience" or the unique styling/refinement of the A5. The dilemma...
Hope you guys can give me some insight.

335i matches not the A5, but the S5s performance. The "tuneability" of the 335i also makes the car ALOT more appealing.One 1500 dollar mod on the 335and your pushing around 350whp (This mod is a piggyback and is undetectable by dealerships, wont void your engine warranty), which is what the s5 is pushing to the crank, not to mention the s5 is a tank, and weighs considerably more than the 335i. Styling is really a matter of opinion they are both beautiful cars. However, the S5s interior completely shits on the 335i, and if your a navigation guy, the iDrive sucks compared to Audi's navi. Then again the s5 starts at 10k more than the 335i. Best thing to do is test drive both and decided what best fits your budget and tastes. I hear audi stepped up on the A5 handling but havent driven it for myself, one thing I know for sure is BMW is always right on in the handling department.
I have a 335i, and am looking to get the S5 as a second car as the more relaxed and presence-demanding daily driver. My 335i has one $350.00 mod (Juicebox Stage 2) and is already significantly faster than the s5. If 0-60 means anything, with one 350 dollar mod and some sticky tires im hitting 0-60 in 4.3 (One Mod!!) 1/4 mile of 12.8 seconds @108-109 MPH. Gotta love the easy modability of Turbo engines

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would you like to be stuck on the side of the road after 2 years everyday?

If yes. BMW

If No. Audi.

BMW's "free maintainance program" is all BS. My sis has a BMW 530i and she has to pay 50 bucks for oil every 3 weeks b/c the damn car seems to run out of oil. Then again VOB is the worst dealer in the world.

just my 2 cents. Good Luck in your purchase.
The 335i comes with run flat tires and these tires are good for 100 miles if they go flat. Last time I had a flat I drove my 335i in to the dealership and wasin and out after 15 minutes. All bmw oil changes, break, clutch, tires and a bunch of other stuff is free. They do have great service.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Revah2,

BMW does do all of your service for a while, but they include it in your price so it's all paid for anyway... Not baggin on BMW since I drive a 5 series myself :)

So the MSRP is 41k in the US but it is selling for 38k? Am I misunderstanding something?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Revah2,

BMW does do all of your service for a while, but they include it in your price so it's all paid for anyway... Not baggin on BMW since I drive a 5 series myself :)

So the MSRP is 41k in the US but it is selling for 38k? Am I misunderstanding something?
$41,200 is for the auto A5 and $39,900 is for the manuel A5.

It's a tough choice since the 335i and A5 are very close in pricing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts