Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, not much to say that you don't already know. The A5 is a great car, and the 3.0 is one of the best diesel cars around, especially as a coupe.

The S5 gives you a slightly sportier and more exclusive look, and a V8 with a sexy growl. It also is less fuel efficient - if you can get over this, the S5 is a much more exciting and pleasant car.

If you test drive an S5, you're going to fall in love with the sensations of the engine and you will be decided - and you'll have to convince yourself that the extra cost in fuel is liveable .

Not much else to say since you know most of the rest as an A5 owner.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have an S5 but would not have an A5. I would go for a different car if I had to. The S5 is a very different car to the A5.

If you went from A5 to S5 you would be very happy (providing fuel cost is not an issue). If you went from S5 to A5 you would not feel happy (unless fuel cost was the reason).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have an S5 but would not have an A5. I would go for a different car if I had to. The S5 is a very different car to the A5.

If you went from A5 to S5 you would be very happy (providing fuel cost is not an issue). If you went from S5 to A5 you would not feel happy (unless fuel cost was the reason).
100% agreed, i would pick a 335d M sport coupe over an A5 3.0TDI everytime.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Well, I went straight for the S5 to avoid this dilema!

My advice... get shares in Shell and BP... then get the S5!!

;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never once considered S5 - for me if I was considering it I would not have bought an Audi - I would have gone for a Porsche 997 C4S -if I'm gonna spend a fortune on fuel might as well get a car to match - so for economy/comfort/understated looks a loaded 3.0 Tdi for me was the only choice in the whole Audi Range.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Never once considered S5 - for me if I was considering it I would not have bought an Audi - I would have gone for a Porsche 997 C4S -if I'm gonna spend a fortune on fuel might as well get a car to match - so for economy/comfort/understated looks a loaded 3.0 Tdi for me was the only choice in the whole Audi Range.
The porsche is twice the cost of the S5. If I was going to spend that money I wouldnt have bought an S5 either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am in the same boat myself. I am prepared to put my order in next week, and its between an A5 S-line with prem package, nav, and B&O package... or an S5 with the nav and b&o package. The difference between the 2 in terms of price is about 6-7K. I figure the S5 would hold its value longer than the A5, so I am leaning toward the S5 in that respect (I want to get a diesel version of the A5 if it ever comes to the states). Honestly, with the gas, the mileage between the 3.2 V6 and the V8 isn't much different. Even insurance isnt all that much more really, from the quotes I have been checking out.

If I order either, there is going to be a wait :( I figure, get what you really want. But that is a lot easier to say before you have money changing hands LOL :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fair point Doubledoom, both cars A5/S5 are great in my opinion and I dislike 335d and M3. I buy a car not on the basis of OTR price but what it will cost me over the period of ownership - the cost of the S5 vs Porsche for example would cost a similar amount over 2 years of ownership. I am confident in this statement as I have had 9 different new Porsches in last approx 8 yrs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your advice and have placed an order for a loaded S5 in blak with silver interior.Already have read brochure a tousand times!:)Cannot wait

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wayhey! Another S5 owner on the way! You won't regret it. I still struggle to go a whole day without driving it... somewhere... anywhere!

...Now we just need to convince you to spend even more money on lowering and an exhaust! ;)

This forum is bad for your wallet!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep got to say that I had a weekend of tests. Drove the A5 3.0 TDI Sport first, then across the road drove a 320M BMW I think! then back across to Audi and he put me in the S5 last :D . Trouble is I went down to have a look at a 2.7 as this is my first company car. But then I own the comapny and guess what I have found the money for the S5 :p . Went back week later to drive the 2 Audis back to back again and just love the S5 should be with me early June, woohoooooooo:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts