Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am just considering options for my imminent purchase and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following

• Interior lighting pack
  • DAB Radio
  • Auto dimming mirror (Does this do anything other than auto dim? Does it control the follow me home function or is that standard?)
  • Parking plus

Also I will need a hands free phone option but not keen to go with the Audi factory options (company car purchase and this would mean I had to pay for it). Are there any 3rd party options available that would integrate with the AIS? (this wouldn't cost me)

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Conrad,

Quick tip - if you update your location (in the User CP - top left, just under home) It helps people answer questions that may be relevant to your market region!

I'll throw my 2 cents in..

Light Pack:

Contains the light in the glove box . if you use your glove box a lot, then it's a great feature. The lights on the doors are a nice safety feature when opening onto a busy street. The footwell lighting looks pretty cool at night. Map lights, nice when you're trying to read something. Perhaps these are not essential, but a nice set nevertheless

DAB Radio:

Don't have one so can't comment, but I do have an AMI interface and a mini external hard disk. - For me makes a much better bang-for-buck as I don't listen to the radio much, but do have a collection of music in MP3.
(FYI: DAB broadcast reception very much depends on your location!)

Auto Dimming Mirrors:

I presume you mean the rear view only? This is also available with dimming wing mirrors, which made more sense to me as if you've got some idiot with misaligned headlights (or seemingly more and more SUV's!) behind you, you're not going to get annoyed with the glare from either.
I've got them, wouldn't necessarily make it one of the highest priorities unless you do a lot of night driving.

Parking Plus:

Personally I love this! Although the audio indication is good, having the diagram pop-up on the MMI to show exactly where on the front & rear the object is approaching is a really nice touch. If you live in the city do lots of parallel parking, then raise it's priority. If you've got a garage and just shuttle to your workplace car park or the supermarket you could probably do fine with the standard (again country specific!) audio alert for the rear

Like I say, just my 2c.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am just considering options for my imminent purchase and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following

• Interior lighting pack
  • DAB Radio
  • Auto dimming mirror (Does this do anything other than auto dim? Does it control the follow me home function or is that standard?)
  • Parking plus

Also I will need a hands free phone option but not keen to go with the Audi factory options (company car purchase and this would mean I had to pay for it). Are there any 3rd party options available that would integrate with the AIS? (this wouldn't cost me)

Thanks
Interior lighting pack is worth having IMO - especially for the door warning lights (came as standard on my old A4!!).
I have heard that DAB radio is a bit of a no-no at the moment. European standards differ from UK: UK coverage is far from complete and although the potential is there, the current bit rate in the UK is well below par - furthermore it suffers from drop-out.
Parking plus is probably OK but I've heard people comment that they only really use the standard rear parking.
Auto dimming mirror depends I guess on how much night-time driving you do and whether you find dazzle a common problem-personally I decided against.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I didnt bother with DAB. I sort of wanted to but coverage in my area is rubbish and some of channels are in mono or low bit rate and not worth the effort.

you will certainly need rear parking sensors as a minimum. Parking plus wasnt an option when I bought mine but I have added it my wife's A3 cabriolet (although it doesnt have the camera on the A3 but the car does steer itself). I suspect that its a show of gadget rather than one that is likely to see a lot of use but on the A3 its only a few hundred pound more than the standard sensors. I dont know the cost difference on the A5.

lighting pack not essential but worth the small cost.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Parking plus is probably OK but I've heard people comment that they only really use the standard rear parking.
I've certainly indicated in other early posts that I don't tend to use the parking display but that's changing as I start to relax about where I park and become a bit more adventurous. The front sensors are a must and as Withnail says, I do find it useful to see just where the obstacle is ... it's not always where you think it may be from the beeps alone.

I have interior lighting and haven't really noticed it (my A3 used to have a more pronounced red ambience in the front at night with this option which was cool but on the A5 it's not as noticable). Take it away and I would probably miss it. I personally find the storage pack far more practical.

I also have the auto dimming mirror but only because when I ordered it wasn't clear that auto lights/wipers were standard on UK A5s without this option. In retrospect I would drop it in favour of the Bluetooth prep which I stupidly didn't add. I've received a Parrot 3100 kit today and will post pics for everyone to laugh at once it's installed on Friday. I haven't found anything that integrates with AIS/MMI (and I work for a big mobile operator!)

Don't forget your hold assist - bargain at £45.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't forget your hold assist - bargain at £45.
Most used optional extra on my car. Get in the car, press the clutch, press the start button and press the hill hold button. Its an automatic routine now. Wouldnt be without it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Conrad
My A5 was "off the rack" and as such I didn't get to chose any extras I would have wanted- the only one I miss from my A4 are the front parking sensors (has standard rear sensors without a display) and autodimming mirrors -the others you mention are really a matter of personal preference and I agree with the others on the DAB- excellent in theory, dismall in practice (at least for the time being?). The standard fit radio is excellent and the SD card reader makes a CD autochanger a total waste of money IMO as you can fit 13+ albums on a 1GB card which takes up less room than a match box- much tidier than a bunch of CDs rattling around your car! (it can take up to 2GB cards by the way).
Can't help with the hands free kit as I have a Parrot system from my A4 that I can't get my local fone fitter interested in fitting....
Have fun with your order and even more when the beauty arrives!:D
PS Go for Hill Hold assist for sure -mine doesn't have it and it's taken some getting used to hill starting on a button after a handbrake on my A4

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Conrad,can only comment on the DAB radio,:D only have probs when out in the sticks,like the lake district etc,better choice of stations like,kerrang,planet rock,the arrow.

Perkman== 4GB cards work as long as they are not the SDHC ones (transcend ones work ok)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.