Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Okay so I have some dilemmas, I know I am leaning of getting the S-Line Package(premium required) or should I?, but of the other options what are recommended a must-get and what of the other options can be omitted?

i.e. Technology, Nav, B&O, etc..

·
Registered
109 Posts
i got S-line and premium and B&O
the main reason was i didn't want the wood interior and wanted brushed aluminium
it looks great
i test drove the non S-line, and S-line
S-line handles better
it's firmer, i think thats the best way to summarize it
i was dying for nav for one reason
AMI, which enables you go get ipod connectivity
but the trade off for me was to have the volume knob on the passenger side
which was a no go for me
so do i regret it?
not really
i use SD cards now
and am hoping the AMI update for 09 will work with my 08 car

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
but of the other options what are recommended a must-get and what of the other options can be omitted?
You might find this thread to be of interest: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/your-top-3-1610/index.html?t=1610

i was dying for nav for one reason
AMI, which enables you go get ipod connectivity
but the trade off for me was to have the volume knob on the passenger side
which was a no go for me
So the volume knob on the passenger side was a deal breaker for you on the Nav? :confused: You get a volume control on the steering wheel ... what about using that one instead?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Now that I have had the car for a little while, I've decided that I wouldn't want to live without any of the options that I ordered. The tech package is absolutely worth it. I probably wouldn't miss the adaptive headlights, mainly because I haven't been on any twisty country roads at night. But the other components: parking camera, advanced key (and side assist in 09) are terrific. When I ordered the car, I was bummed that I had to get Nav for the tech package. But the tech package options are so great that it's totally worth getting put over a barrel on the admittedly overpriced nav option. And in the end, Nav is also worth it because it allows for iPod integration, and the relocation of the control wheel to the console is great for comfort.

B&O is a great value for the price. I haven't heard the base system, but I know a good stereo when I hear it...and the B&O fits the bill. Of all available options, it's easily the best value for the money.

·
Registered
415 Posts
maybe not the Drive Assist.
Do you mean Side Assist? If so, I've got to disagree. It seems pointless until you have it...but turns out to be a very cool and useful feature that works supremely well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you mean Side Assist? If so, I've got to disagree. It seems pointless until you have it...but turns out to be a very cool and useful feature that works supremely well.
Whoops - yes, that's what I meant. Enlighten me some more on the Side Assist. I've always used my mirrors and turned my head before changing lanes. Granted there may have been a time or two when I didn't change lanes 100% safely, but I have never been in a close situation, like that, that was caused by me. I'd love to see some soccer moms with that feature though!

When I post, I speak from a very personal viewpoint. I certainly agree there is worthiness in things that might not be suited for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I 100% agree with all above, if I would have known better I would have added the tech pkg. as well! I'm a little old school and didn't want to have to much technical stuff to deal with or having things break or miss use it. But as my knowledge grew from this Owners Club I would have gone all out (A5 Loaded) and not saved a penny!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I should make it clear that as much as I love the Side Assist (I'm always singing its praises on this board) I don't rely on it. I still use the mirrors, and still turn my head to check. Old habits die hard, and that's a habit I'd rather not give up anyway.

I've said a million times that it shouldn't be used to confirm a negative. If it doesn't say anyone's there, I'm still going to check. But where it really comes through is as an indication of the positive. If it lights up and says it's a bad time to change lanes, you can save your neck-turning effort for later. It's informative, but I don't let it do my thinking for me.

And yeah...soccer moms could really use it. And in that case, an attempt at changing lanes when the alert is active should result in an electric shock through the seat.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My 2 cents on the options... first of all, I ordered premium, S-Line, B&O, and nav

Premium - IMO no A5 should ever be ordered without premium because it's the package that includes the standard HIDs and LED daytime running lights, which kind of define the vehicle's looks. I've never seen an A5 without premium.

S-Line - you get mild lowering springs, upgraded seats, body kit, steering wheel badge, and 19" Y-spoke wheels, all for around $3k. It's a good value: You would spend ~$1500-2000 getting leather-wrapped Recaro Sport seats (like on the Evo), and they wouldn't have power adjustment (the plus being that they are lighter). You would spend about $2-3k getting a polyurethane painted and perfectly fitted body kit. The wheels I don't particularly care for, but they are a good size and decent design to have on the car while you ponder what aftermarket wheels to get. Lowering springs would normally be ~$200 plus another $200 installation. Overall it's a nice overall package to have, and probably helps increase resale value if that's important to you.

B&O - as stated above, it's probably the best bang for the buck you can get out of a stereo. I used to be a total audiophile, and had well over $5-7k worth of DLS and McIntosh components in my previous car. To have a reasonable stereo for $850 is a STEAL. My McIntosh head unit alone was more than this. And you can't beat OEM install in terms of cleanliness.

Navigation - as some members have pointed out, getting nav is pretty crucial because it also comes with some pretty drastic changes to the MMI interface. That should be a big consideratioin whether or not you actually intend to use the navigational part of it. Plus navigation is priceless even if you only use it once in a while.

Technology Package - here's where I decided to say no. It's about another $2.5-3k (I forgot actual price), and the only feature I think I actually feel is a necessity is the Advance Key, which gives you the radio transmitting key fob and push-button start. If this were a standalone option, I'd just get the Advance Key. Everything else like back-up camera, side-assist, and adaptive headlights are luxuries that I wouldn't really miss, but obviously that's a matter of opinion. My Supra has much worse blind spots than the A5, so side-assist is not something I need, and for the same reason, I'm already accustomed to parallel parking a big coupe with big blind spots, so I don't really think the backup camera is absolutely necessary. These are all nice things to have, but questionable whether it's worth the ~$3k pricetag.

-Ray

·
Registered
83 Posts
And yeah...soccer moms could really use it. And in that case, an attempt at changing lanes when the alert is active should result in an electric shock through the seat.
That's funny. I decided to add the Technology package to my 2009 order, so it looks like I'll have the Side Assist in my car (part of tech in '09). Does it beep at you?

·
Registered
415 Posts
No, Side Assist doesn't beep at you. Instead, it lights up a strip of faint yellow LEDs in the side of the mirror housings which are only visible from the driver's seat. This thread has a pic courtesy of TXCarGuy.

When a car is in your blind spot, or catching up to you in the next lane with sufficient speed difference, the LED's light up on that side. they're a very subtle reminder that now is a bad time to change lanes. You may not even notice them if you're not looking toward the mirror, so they don't bother the driver who isn't looking to change lanes. But if you activate your turn signal to that side while the 1st-stage warning is lit up, the LEDs will flash very brightly a few times. This is to make it very clear that your suggested lane change is likely to result in trading paint with your fellow motorist.

It's a pretty smart system, in that it always seems to know how to properly warn you. If a car is approaching fast from behind, the lights come on while it's still quite a way back. If, on the other hand, a car is just hanging out a car length behind you, without closing the gap, the car won't complain if you try to change lanes. Even the A5 knows that assholes who stay off your rear corner deserve to be pulled out in front of. If you blow past someone in the slow lane, it also won't bother warning you. And in these cars, there is a lot of that happening =P

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have yet to receive a production date, but I am first in line at my dealer for my A5. I did just add Drive select to the package. I really wish that I could get the carbon inlays instead of brushed Aluminum.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have yet to receive a production date, but I am first in line at my dealer for my A5. I did just add Drive select to the package. I really wish that I could get the carbon inlays instead of brushed Aluminum.
I know it sucks to have to pay for something twice, but if you really want them there's nothing stopping you from ordering it at the parts counter.

-Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts