Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have been looking through this website for quite some time now and have finally decided to become a member! I'm looking to buy a used Audi A5 towards the end of this year. (just on a side note, my brother-in-law owns a RS4 and my sister has a Q7, both being quattro) Since the A5 came out, I have has my mind set on buying one, apart from the A7, they are in my opinion the best looking audi!

Anyway to get to my question, I'm looking to purchase an A5 and my budget is only around 35k as I'm still a uni student. As all of you would know, the fwd audis have a bad wrap for their torque steer. Although I have noticed that a lot of this negative talk is coming from colder countries where it snows (I'm in Qld, Australia so we never get snow here). Would it be reasonable to say that considering I would not have to deal with snow and icy roads that having quattro won't be as big of an issue? I currently own a honda integer type R which is fwd and admittedly it can get extremely annoying in the wet cause you have to drive like a granny in order to not understeer, will this be just the same with the A5 non-quattro or should the audi handle the road better?

p.s. If any of you have multitronic, can you please tell me if you have ever had any problems with it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Save up your money and get a quattro - you won't regret it. I personally dislike the multitronic box - drive a loaner A4 with one and it was the worst drive of my life - even worse than driving a FIAT 850 with a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
JMW - I too test drove a front wheel drive mutitronic before insisting on an Stronic quattro - the difference is chalk and cheese - I live in Melbourne where we never get snow and it doesn't rain as heavily as Brisbane - the lack of traction in the fwd is horrible in the wet. We both know that we pay a premium price in Australia for these cars, but if you can stretch the budget up to $40,000 you will be looking at quattro Stronic versions from 2009/2010 (try to get the 2010 with the led tail lights and the B&O upgrade sound - it is epic). The 3.0 TDi goes like a scalded cat, but may be hard to find in your price range - good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The FWD are fine, you just adapt your driving style to suit. The quatto's are much nicer, though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sure quattros are better but in normal driving and no snow, you wont notice the difference 99% of the time. I personally like the multitronic, nothing matchess its smoothness and you still have a Sport programme which simulates gears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Btw I tested 2.0 multitronic tdi, 3.0 multitronic tdi and 3.0 quattro s tronic. Went for 2.0, imo 3.0 not worth the price difference, not for my driving needs anyway.

Lack of traction in the wet? Hmm, I didnt notice anything special than any other FWD. My wifes car is a bmw 3 and theres real lack of traction in Rain..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm sorry but the FWD does suffer from a lack if traction even with the 1.8TFSi under the bonnet. Quattro you can just floor it and it won't break traction in the wet. I've had a couple of FWD courtesy cars and even with one of the smaller engines they just spin if you're in any sort of hurry, the lack of traction on roundabouts etc in the wet is very noticeable too. Quattro is worth the money a dozen times over.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The traction on the the 3.0 TDI is ridiculously amazing. No skid wide open throttle 0-150km in pouring rain. Enough said.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree quattro traction is better than any fwd or rwd, but in real life, how many times do your really notice it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I agree quattro traction is better than any fwd or rwd, but in real life, how many times do your really notice it.
Honestly? Every single time it rains which this winter has been every day

·
Registered
120 Posts
I personally wouldn't consider a FWD variant (have been converted by the benefits of AWD).

Near where I live there is an intersection with traffic lights and I'll regularly have to stop at it on the steep incline. In this sort of situation, it doesn't take much to result in a little bit of wheel spin from a FWD - no issues whatsoever in an AWD / quattro variant though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts