Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Frank, my A5 Tiptronic is quite responsive from a stop position, and I do not get that thump you were describing. However, I have noticed that it either will be really quick off the line or will gradually take off depending upon the amount of pressure I put on the gas. If I apply very light pressure, I think it does hesitate a little bit before the torque really kicks in. I only have about 800 miles on my car, so I'm still adjusting somewhat. You might want to have the dealer check things out regarding that thump. Doesn't sound normal to me.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK, will do. But it won't be until tomorrow evening (around this same time) that I'll be able to report back. The weather is horrible outside right now, so my car is staying put in the garage.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Frank, I just did several test runs and I did not notice any noises through the gear shifts. In fact, I was quite pleased with how fluid and smooth the gear shifts seemed to be. I was watching the driver information display to see when the gear changes occurred from D1 to D2 to D3, etc. and found that I didn't feel or hear noises when the shifts occurred.

Regarding any "thump" sounds, I only heard my doors auto-lock (I have it setup that way) when I first started off from a stop. And I heard that occur right around the time the tranny shifted from D1 to D2. I repeated that experiment by unlocking the doors after putting the car into 'park', and then putting it back into 'D' and driving off again. The same thing happened (i.e., I heard the doors auto-lock right around the time the tranny shifted from D1 to D2).

Have you tried driving in 'S' (Sport) mode yet? That will certainly get rid of any hesitation right off the line. You'll notice a dramatic difference in available torque, as the transmission will not upshift as soon.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Man, that's a real bummer. Good luck with the outcome.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.