Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only have about 120 miles on my new (automatic) A5 and maybe it's just me not used to driving a quattro, but I have a noticeable hesitation when I accelerate from a standing position. A little pressure on the gas pedal and she does not move, but as I push slightly more, then she leaps forward and accelerates normally after that. I also notice a distinctive 'thump' going in and out of D2, and again, don't know if this is normal. Thought I would pose these questions here before going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dont know about the a5.... but the multitronic on my old a4 estate diesel was always slow from standing....
can't shed any light on the thumping noise......

I would be back to the dealer if I heard any thumping from the gearbox....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Frank, my A5 Tiptronic is quite responsive from a stop position, and I do not get that thump you were describing. However, I have noticed that it either will be really quick off the line or will gradually take off depending upon the amount of pressure I put on the gas. If I apply very light pressure, I think it does hesitate a little bit before the torque really kicks in. I only have about 800 miles on my car, so I'm still adjusting somewhat. You might want to have the dealer check things out regarding that thump. Doesn't sound normal to me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm assuming the hesitation is because of the all-wheel design (new to me) - I notice the thump only at very very slow speeds (stop and go traffic) - thats where you can REALLY hear the tranny coming in and out of D2. DO me a favour and try yours at like 4-5MPH, stop, start over and over and see if at that speed you notice it moving to D2 with a more pronounced noise than D3-D6. Thanks TXcarguy

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK, will do. But it won't be until tomorrow evening (around this same time) that I'll be able to report back. The weather is horrible outside right now, so my car is staying put in the garage.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Frank, I just did several test runs and I did not notice any noises through the gear shifts. In fact, I was quite pleased with how fluid and smooth the gear shifts seemed to be. I was watching the driver information display to see when the gear changes occurred from D1 to D2 to D3, etc. and found that I didn't feel or hear noises when the shifts occurred.

Regarding any "thump" sounds, I only heard my doors auto-lock (I have it setup that way) when I first started off from a stop. And I heard that occur right around the time the tranny shifted from D1 to D2. I repeated that experiment by unlocking the doors after putting the car into 'park', and then putting it back into 'D' and driving off again. The same thing happened (i.e., I heard the doors auto-lock right around the time the tranny shifted from D1 to D2).

Have you tried driving in 'S' (Sport) mode yet? That will certainly get rid of any hesitation right off the line. You'll notice a dramatic difference in available torque, as the transmission will not upshift as soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TX for trying yours to compare. There definitely is something going on between D1 and D2 on my car. A noticable 'jerk' as it goes in and out D2 everytime, including when I manually shift. Not gonna take any chances, so back to the dealer she goes (only have 135 miles on the car)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Man, that's a real bummer. Good luck with the outcome.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I noticed the same disturbances as Frank when I first took delivery. Also my A5 would not stop smoothly. No matter how hard I tried to feather the brake, the car would jerk to a stop. Much to the chagrin of the passengers. All three problems continued until I stopped worrying about them. I either got used to the idiosycracies of the car or I adapted. Good luck, Frank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.