Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I noticed something with the A5 1.8 TFSI, there are two exhaust pipes on the left side of the car and not one on each side as it is on the other engine choices. This bugs me a lot! Cause I've ordered a 1.8 TFSI....

Don't understand why Audi does this, it looks a lot cooler with one exhaust pipe on each side.

This was the same for when the old A4 came out. Initially the 1.8 engine had poor-looking exhaust pipes only on one side... but production year 2005 and later the 1.8 cars had exhaust pipes on each side.

Will this be the same for the A5, that it's only like this in the beginning of the production?

Any thoughts...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The reason for this is probably exclusivity for the 3.2/3.0TDI owners.

BMW do the same when it comes to the 335i coupe - the 320i coupe doesn't have exhausts at either side.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milltek - they're bound to do something idc.:D
Yea I really hope so... btw what is idc? :)

Rab88: Yea probably because of the exclusivity, but that's not nice to the others :p
The question is if they will change this in maybe one year or so, as they did with the A4...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
idc = in due course.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Another good example of this differentiation is of course the TT 2.0 vs 3.2 - twin one side for the former, single large each side for the latter. Strange really as it must require more tooling and cost, not least because in many cases two different rear bumpers/valances have to be produced.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
From the other side... if you had a 3.2, you'd be miffed if it didn't look different (and more powerful) from the 2.0. Personally, I like Audi's approach here... If it is the less powerful model, it looks purposeful and elegant. If it is the more powerful model, it looks just the same, but the exhaust hints that this one can shift.

This is in contrast wuith a japanese car, where the less powerful model is made to look sporty and 'tacky' with twin exhausts and spoiler. The more powerful one gets a makeover with ludicrously large spoilers, power bulges and vents in the bonnet and wings, decals and coloured wheels and, quite frankly makes you look like a t!t ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
This was the same for when the old A4 came out. Initially the 1.8 engine had poor-looking exhaust pipes only on one side... but production year 2005 and later the 1.8 cars had exhaust pipes on each side.
Wasn't that more to do with Quattro rather than engine size? Non Quattro had pipes on one side & Quattro cars had a pipe on either side.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wasn't that more to do with Quattro rather than engine size? Non Quattro had pipes on one side & Quattro cars had a pipe on either side.
Yea you might be right, that could do with the quattro. I've gott 1.8T quattro on my A4 and it has got one exhaust on each side.

I wonder if the A5 will come with 1.8 TFSI quattro later?
Does anybody know anything about this? And if so, when?

·
Registered
677 Posts
You see similar stuff like this on American cars. Mustangs are everywhere and they have small one side (V6) small both side (standard V8) and large both side (hotter V8). Driving the Subaru I would often check to see if the car had any possibility of a decent race. Only FI V8 had a chance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea well I don't like that differentiation, it's discriminating :p

The thing is I'm driving a quattro today and I love it! But I love the A5 more.
An A5 starts at 31 000 euro for the 1.8 TFSI, naked without any extra equipment. To get quattro and exhausts on each side I have to buy the 3.2 FSI quattro (which btw is without turbo) I'd have to pay around 10 000 euro extra. Haha I've already spent over 13 000 euro on extra equipment... so I'm almost near an S5 in pricing if I choose the 3.2 :eek:

But for me it's all about the looks of it, I can live without the quattro. but it would be nice to have exhausts on each side ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Denakno

I'm curious as to where you saw a 1.8TFSI. I've also ordered one, but haven't seen one in the metal. I haven't even seen a pic of the back of one. Do you have a pic of the 1.8TFSI from the back, showing these twin pipes?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I haven't even seen a pic of the back of one. Do you have a pic of the 1.8TFSI from the back, showing these twin pipes?
You can view a couple of 1.8T pics in this post.

Denakno, please update your profile to reflect your location. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

Thanks TXcarguy for the pic. I'm a little dissappointed by this, as the dealer told me it'd be exactly the same as the other A5s. He also told me that the 1.8T had daylight running lights as well. Luckily I figured out it hadn't and managed to sneak them onto the order ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi

Thanks TXcarguy for the pic. I'm a little dissappointed by this, as the dealer told me it'd be exactly the same as the other A5s. He also told me that the 1.8T had daylight running lights as well. Luckily I figured out it hadn't and managed to sneak them onto the order ...
I would expect some differences like this between engine sizes. What really annoys me are the undocumented consequences of not choosing SatNav:
1) Only partial B&O options in MMI menu
2) No chosen trim around centre console
3) Smaller MMI screen
4) MMI controls on dash instead of centre console

1) and 2) are especially annoying as you have to pay extra for these options in the first place...rant over ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't told about any of that either, which is annoying as the dealer should know all this.

On the otherhand, I didn't pay £2K for Sat Nav and have to pay another £200to plug in an MP3 player. Instead I get (eventually) a radio that's an MP3 player with a removable memory - bargain.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm if you check out the pics from the thread TXcarguy posted a link to:
Check out this pic: exhaust type 1 the exhausts almost look rusty.
But check out this exhaust type 2 they look a lot better and they're with chrome.

These things annoy tha hell out of me, that I don't know what's the difference here and why it's like this. And it's not like the dealers can provide good answers, the answer I get all the time is "Yea you're right", it feels like I'm educating them.

But now it feels like I can live with twin exhaust on the left side, because I've ordered my A5 with S-line exterior package and in clear white so the lines of the and the car itself will attract the most attention. Now I would like to remove the exhausts and go for a slim look instead :)

On the other hand maybe Milltek will come out with a nice looking product with exhausts on both sides...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed one more thing, also on the pics above... Not all cars have the antenna fin on the roof. Why is this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.