Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who bought the A5 regret not getting the S5? I drove both and the A5 seemed pretty good and wondering if the S5 is overkill for everyday driving. Certainly its an awesome engine and preferable, just seeking longer experiences and views - thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
The performance of my 1.8t still suprises me and my passengers
All of my passengers cant believe that is a 1.8t, especially the power at low revs

·
Registered
437 Posts
Anyone who bought the A5 regret not getting the S5? I drove both and the A5 seemed pretty good and wondering if the S5 is overkill for everyday driving. Certainly its an awesome engine and preferable, just seeking longer experiences and views - thanks
MURPH

You have not mentioned what engine you ordered so it's a little hard to answer your question. If you ordered say the 1.8 or 2lt then yes the S5 has far more power.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I love the 3.2, and it has more than enough power to keep ahead of most of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have to say that in the "S" mode of my auto-tranny, it surprises me evertyime it hit's 4th gear when getting onto the highway. For it's size, it's not bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Boom Boom I have to ask - if you have a Ferrari and an Aston Martin, is the A5 just your winter car? ;-)

In the US the option is either the 345hp V8 in the S5 or the 265hp V6 in the A5

I havent placed the order yet - just wondering if anyone had buyers remorse over not getting the V8 - its about 8-10k USD more for the V8, plus they hit us with a gas guzzler tax of 1,300 USD

·
Registered
437 Posts
So Boom Boom I have to ask - if you have a Ferrari and an Aston Martin, is the A5 just your winter car? ;-)

In the US the option is either the 345hp V8 in the S5 or the 265hp V6 in the A5

I havent placed the order yet - just wondering if anyone had buyers remorse over not getting the V8 - its about 8-10k USD more for the V8, plus they hit us with a gas guzzler tax of 1,300 USD
Hi Murph the Ferrari was a boyhood must have and never used that often other than the odd weekend, the Aston was ordered early 2008 before the credit crunch so when it arrived in September it was better to have an other car to use to run around in so that's where the A5 came in after I got shot of a 650 bmw:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah - well I would likley be going for the 650 as well if they had a version with 4 wheel drive - too much snow and ice here in the Northeast US

·
Registered
32 Posts
3.0TDI is plenty for everyday driving. and more credit crunch friendly to run than the v8, especially if you're doing any serious mileage with it.

and if you want more power, there is always the option to remap :ninja:

·
Registered
30 Posts
just wondering if anyone had buyers remorse over not getting the V8 - its about 8-10k USD more for the V8, plus they hit us with a gas guzzler tax of 1,300 USD
V6 has more then enough power & like u said save 8-10k + GAS MPG!
In real life when does 345 HP come into play unless u don't value your license?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
3.0TDI is plenty for everyday driving. and more credit crunch friendly to run than the v8, especially if you're doing any serious mileage with it.
+ 1, when in real life everyday motoring was 0-60 in 5.something seconds, 500Nm torque and 40+Mpg not enough? I do apprecaite the 'petrol head' views (I'm one too BTW) but the 3.0 Tdi QUATTRO diesel is really good.:moped::)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
In real life when does 345 HP come into play unless u don't value your license?
Every single driving second! 1 year, 20k miles (many covered in a blur:)) and a clean licence. It is possible.....
(I know, I know, I'm so going to wish I hadn't said that.....).

Seriously though, I think that the 3.0TDi, if remapped to make it a reasonable performer (seems that very few owners on here have managed to shift stock ones to 60 in anything less than 6.something seconds - an eternity for the young amongst us) is plenty quick enough for everyday driving.

However, I may be wrong, but I suspect that those who plump for the S5 simply aren't ready for an oil-burner, and relish the thrill and connection that only a fine performance petrol engine can give. I've had a 3.0TDi courtesy car for a total of ten days in the past year and my appreciation of if as a fine, competent and able vehicle hasn't developed beyond purely that. I was intrigued by and explored the wave of torque and limited rev-range that forces you to change your entire driving style, but craved the petrol feel, that visceral responsiveness - and the sound!

I think diesels are simply too compromised - as discussed on another thread and regularly in the motoring press at the moment, this is probably the reason why nore and more manufacturers are pouring the bulk of their development dollars into a new breed of highly efficient petrol powerplants. The writing's on the wall for the tractor.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
All the A5s have enough performance for everyday driving, My A5 will overtake with ease and has more than eneough power for normal driving and motorway driving. And it easily puts a smile on my face with the acceleration, keeps delivering power right into the red.
But I stepped up from an old Honda 1.8 Accord,

Each step up the range is more than just the engine, look at all the extra styling and toys on the S5 from the rest of the range.
But I love my car and I am more than happy with it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Please let us know where are you from !!!

Or specify A5 engine you are talking about.
We, in Europe, have lot of engines for A5, US have, stupidly, only one.

3.0TDI is the best for A5. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Murph lives in the Northeast US as he has said, so he can only choose between the 3.2 A5 or the S5. Diesel or 4 cylinder is not an option for him. Lets not start another diesel versus petrol thread ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Every single driving second! 1 year, 20k miles (many covered in a blur:)) and a clean licence. It is possible.....

Seriously though, I think that the 3.0TDi, if remapped to make it a reasonable performer (seems that very few owners on here have managed to shift stock ones to 60 in anything less than 6.something seconds - an eternity for the young amongst us) is plenty quick enough for everyday driving.

However, I may be wrong, but I suspect that those who plump for the S5 simply aren't ready for an oil-burner, and relish the thrill and connection that only a fine performance petrol engine can give. I've had a 3.0TDi courtesy car for a total of ten days in the past year and my appreciation of if as a fine, competent and able vehicle hasn't developed beyond purely that. I was intrigued by and explored the wave of torque and limited rev-range that forces you to change your entire driving style, but craved the petrol feel, that visceral responsiveness - and the sound!

I think diesels are simply too compromised - as discussed on another thread and regularly in the motoring press at the moment, this is probably the reason why nore and more manufacturers are pouring the bulk of their development dollars into a new breed of highly efficient petrol powerplants. The writing's on the wall for the tractor.......
:2thumbsup: Petrol Power:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

+1

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Drink problem

I would probably have bought an S5 if it weren't for it's drink problem and dubious residuals at the time I was buying (Oct 2008), fuel was expensive and the CC beginning to bite.

I have to say I don't regret going for the 3.0Tdi Quattro and since updates I can easily make 5.5 -5.7 secs to 60mph. (Co-pilot with expensive stopwatch).
And the best bit I am saving at least £115-£120 a month on fuel. The worst bit no V8 noise but then again you guys wont have that for long in the S5. Saw an S4 on Thursday in and around local dealer, very nice but it didn't sound at all special.:music-smiley-019::)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.