Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. My first post on here.
I have recently bought a 2007 3.0 tdi manual quattro A5. Most drivers of this car seem to use 5w30 oil , but I've seen a 4 litre bottle of Castrol Magnatec DPF 5w40 which looks a bargain £21 (in a reputable shop in Spain where I have a house) and if it's suitable to use in my car (which is permanently in UK), I'm intending on bringing some back. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
484 Posts
It should be fine, it just means it's suitable over a broader temperature range. More importantly you should check if it meets or exceeds the spec required for your engine. Should say something like vw501 or vw502.
One of the oil burning experts will be along soon to tell you which spec you need. It will also tell you in your handbook.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Kepi mate we are sure that your Mum loves to see yer face but we old farts prefer to see yer car please!!!! As SJ mentions above your engine is a bit fussy and requires everything to meet the VW cum Audi standards. Check in yer users manual which standard you must comply with. Then just choose yer fave oil brand and yes Castrol is great, just dont save cash on engine oil buy the best you can get in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simon Roma :
1 - My mother is dead
2 - The photo of me is a standard one that is used on all the sites i subscribe to , get over it.
3 - My car is a basic A5 that thousands of people have seen....not souped up , no colour change etc.
4 - I joined this site to learn about my car , not to talk about irrelevant crap.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Simon Roma :
1 - My mother is dead
2 - The photo of me is a standard one that is used on all the sites i subscribe to , get over it.
3 - My car is a basic A5 that thousands of people have seen....not souped up , no colour change etc.
4 - I joined this site to learn about my car , not to talk about irrelevant crap.
As u like.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Hi kepi......whilst I share your opinion on posting a picture of your car (as you intimate its just another audi) its pretty much part of joining the site.
As others including Simon have pointed out check the manual to ensure the oil you are thinking of buying is the right spec (not just viscosity) otherwise you might be saving 20 quid to spend thousands rebuilding your engine.
Sorry your mum is dead. If she was still around she would could tell you off for being so rude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rackingman :
Jesus , I'm just trying to get some information here , not joined for trolling or be-littling people.
Tell me where it says i must post a photo of my car before I joined the site. Correct , it doesn't tell me to - so like the other annoying reply , get over it. And for the record, my mother probably would have told you both to not bother replying to my question if you felt the need to be petty and childish.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
there must have been a problem as my post came up twice.
you don't need te reed the manual twice.
once will do :)

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I know who he is......I remember.....its Mr Angry from the Steve Wright show!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Fred !.
My first 'port of call' would have been the manual, but as I have only recently bought the car and it didn't come with one , I thought I'd try a forum.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
this is what I have in several mauals:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts