Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation-My 09 A5 was at a drive thru today and the young lady taking my $$$ said what a beautiful car I have. It must be a Turbo" judging by the rattle in the engine. I then revved the engine and found an irregularly loud rattle. I live in S. florida and immediately took the car to Prestige Audi in Miami (this is the second time I have heard the rattle the first time it was allegedly nothing).

Service guy tells me immediately "turn off the engine" and asks me to come inside while he writes up the car. I asked him what the scoop was>his reply was solemn ""engne as it appears" but it will have to go through a full diagnostic test. I told him I had read on A5 forums that these 3.2 engines are failing. He told me he "just got the same news this week". I asked hm what they are planning to do but he could not give me a realistic answer. He also claims the 09 A6's will begin having these issues.

The car is 3 months old and if I don't get the proper answers I will ask them to take the car back and let me out of my lease>This is far too beautiful and refined a car to have a problem of this magnitude. It's reminding me of Audi's of old with the mysterious transmission issues.

I'm pissed

·
Registered
64 Posts
But the new A6 is supposed to have a new 3.0 V6 Kompressor engine... Why would it have the same problems as the older 3.2 unit, unless offcourse the problem lies in the production process and/or line...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the 3.2L american 2009 6 cylinder engine which appears to be like the country--a little screwed up. I have no idea what the story is except for the fact that my service person seemed very confident in the fact that it is a major engine problem>He told me to enjoy the 2008 A4 service loaner, I will be driving it awhile. They are welcome to put a dfiierent engine in but they will give me another 3.2L which I will have to deal with and not hope for the worst>It would be nice if they threw th3 4.2L in instead. I will keep everyone in the mix on the answer.
jeff

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just wanted to ask, is America getting 3.0 TDI engine or not?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not seen one 3.0tdi in this country>I believe that is the european model but I could be wrong. I have not heard of any issues with that engine to date. My engine is another story and the service rep seemed to feel the 2009 A6 modelis having some of these issues. that's where i'm at as of now.

jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about you engine mate, My 2009 A5 s-line also had the engine replaced and when they were changing it they spilt oil on the hood which stained the paint so they changed that as well, The gearbox seems to be playing up too.But as you say they are a great looking car but i was expecting alot more from such a so called great car brand,And now with all these problems i'm having i dont want the car anymore, Its like its been damaged and who wants damaged goods.??

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have not seen one 3.0tdi in this country>I believe that is the european model but I could be wrong. I have not heard of any issues with that engine to date. My engine is another story and the service rep seemed to feel the 2009 A6 modelis having some of these issues. that's where i'm at as of now.

jeff
Oh boy - you guys are missing out by not getting the 3.0TDi.
I hear you only get the TDi in VW Jetta - not even the Passat. The diesel is a good solution in Europe where diesel cars are seen as more environmentally friendly. The 3.0TDi is a superb combination of perfromance and relatively good economy. I have had diesel cars for the past almost 20 years and would not go back to gas. Even though the gas MPG is now not that far behind diesel the torque is way off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Jeff

Sorry to hear about you engine thats the second one in two days that has went, I am now shitting myself as I have a 3.2 petrol engine. Just collected mine for the dealership today after a full servise at 12000 miles, no problems yet with mine still as fast as fcuk, seems even a little faster after the servise:D:D

Will let you know I anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reality of the situation is the car had been getting a little more sluggish over the last few weeks>this might be an indicator for future issues. this issue seems to happen in the very early stages of break in>2-7000 miles. my vehicle has 6900 miles to date. 3 months old----what a shame>my 2008 cayenne s has 30,000 miles on it>>2 oil changes to date and zero issues. original tires and brakes.

I believe there will be some sort of recall in the near future on this issue for possible advance warnings which can prevent this from happening>my advice to everyone is take care of it when the time comes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on putting this post on my thread as well. I got the news on my a5 yesterday>It definiitely needs a new engine. The engine had a distinct rattle which progressively gor worse (fyi-the car was also beginning to lack a bit of performance). The tech is treating it as if it needs a battery as they are trained to do that. Let's be realistic here, a car with 6,200 miles is not supposed to have the single biggest problem with it due to "shotty workmanship or a shotty piece of metal". The reality is I have no confidence in this engine even after being told they will put a new one in. The car always drove well (all 10 weeks of ownership so far) but I have to take a look at resale value>the carfax report on this guy is going to show ""new engine"" @6,200 miles?? Not a great selling tool. The service guy is very nice and gave me an a4 to use but I was told I had to drive it within the parameters of location>I do a lot of driving so this is not working out well for me. The engine will be in within a week, allegedly>another week to install>real bad experience.

FYI-I really don't want this particular car back. I have relayed that to audi of north america. We will see what happens

(car has 6294 miles not 6,900 as previously stated)

·
Registered
49 Posts
W0W not the only one

Well, I'm off to the dealer tomorrow for the same problems and I refuse to have any major part replaced and bring the damn thing back home "I'm pissed". I over looked the sluggish performance because I'm getting out of my wifes Mercedes C63 sometimes and thought just changing cars was the issue. This is a beautiful car and the A5 I thought was the best deal going but guess NOT!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also i think i read on here somewhere. The cause of the noise is metal shavings that have got into the cylinder heads. (a poor manufacture defect)

Audi's way to fix this is replace the engine, as it would cost Audi too much to have there tech's take apart and rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah read that

I'm emailing my sales rep. now about finding me a S5 which is what I should have bought in the beginning but we already had the c63 on order . I'm willing too pay a little more and I do understand Audi's stance on not taking cars back but somebody has too be the ASS and get them to take notice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
best of luck my friend...keep us posted....but just a "warning" it might get a little messy in doing the trade back...trying to establish the value etc.

Not sure of your lemon laws over there...but over here the problem has to occur 3 times and then they take action...try that route too

·
Registered
49 Posts
-$7500.00

So far I've been told negative $7500.00 by my Mercedes sales rep. but he does have plenty of incentive money on certain 08'-09' models of course and meeting with BMW sales rep. in the morning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THE LATEST:My service rep at Prestige Audi informed me there is a possibilty the car will be complete by friday of this week-That's a one week turnover from diagnostic-to delivery of engine-to install. Seem's a bit quick but I'll take it. If I hear the slightest noise it's going back. Now I'm nervous with this car but at least I might have it back for the south fla sunny weekend.

Think they'll wash it??

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Oh boy - you guys are missing out by not getting the 3.0TDi.
I hear you only get the TDi in VW Jetta - not even the Passat. The diesel is a good solution in Europe where diesel cars are seen as more environmentally friendly. The 3.0TDi is a superb combination of perfromance and relatively good economy. I have had diesel cars for the past almost 20 years and would not go back to gas. Even though the gas MPG is now not that far behind diesel the torque is way off.
I agree. It's worth noting that, in the U.S., you don't just certify a given engine for EPA federalization that then applies to any model, you test and certify each engine and transmission combination for each car in which they'll be featured (I think even different body styles, like Avant vs. Cabrio vs. Sedan, etc.). Given the number of model variants that this implies, a very good business case must be made in order to launch a new motor in the U.S. This means that the volumes must offset the high cost of certification. In a car like the A5, and given the broader U.S. market's perception of diesel cars, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that the 3.0d will be offered in the A5 as the volumes would be too low. It's too "upscale" for diesel. I happen to think this is a foolish and narrow-minded view, but that's the reality.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.