Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A5 Cab roof water leak.

This is my first time posting here so I guess that makes me a virgin :laughinatabove:.
I was unable to find a thread on A5 Cab water leaks so I posted my own and hope someone can help.
After some long four almost five month wait, I finally took delivery of my 2010 Red A5 Cab two weeks ago.
With the help of last night's weather, I noticed that rain water had leaked inside throught the roof (soft top) by the passenger side (NOT FROM THE WINDOW).
Has anyone experienced this? Should I get my dealer to replace the top?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:thumbsdown: , :wall: , :no:

Reactions: SimonRoma

· Registered
17 Posts
Check your manual mate, I seem to recall there is something in there that states 'in heavy rain there may be slight leaking around the roof edge, this is normal' or something like that. Shouldn't be anything to concrn yourself with but if there is more than a few drops it might be worth your while getting the dealer to check it.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I live in the tropics and have driven my A5 cab thru torrential monsoon rains. No leaks. What you are experiencing is not normal. Then again, I have the acoustic roof so 'a few drops' might not have been discernable to me, but definitely noting that reaches the point of dripping.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
This is not good news, can you give more details on how much came through and where exactly it was?

Tim

· Registered
185 Posts
Check your manual mate, I seem to recall there is something in there that states 'in heavy rain there may be slight leaking around the roof edge, this is normal' or something like that. Shouldn't be anything to concrn yourself with but if there is more than a few drops it might be worth your while getting the dealer to check it.
I remember reading somewhere in the blurb that there maybe a leak or two and not to be concerned, mine did for the first day or two but nothing since. ?!:yikes:

· Registered
185 Posts
Gio 1971

Just noticed you're from s.Florida, not surprising your roof leaks. I've heard you have had a lotta rain recently!.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Not had it with my A5 , but my A4 cab used to get one or two drops of water on the top of the door near the tweeter speaker if it rains hard and the wind is in the wrong direction. If you are getting few drops of water then I would not worry. If there is a puddle then get it checked out...

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gio 1971

Just noticed you're from s.Florida, not surprising your roof leaks. I've heard you have had a lotta rain recently!.
Magi,
What can I say, we have some funny weather here in South Florida. Yesterday and the day before we had some nasty storms and today, not one cloud.
Anyways, I got a call from the dealer today, and they were not able to replicate the leak. Very frustrating but as they mentioned, if they can't get it to leak, then there is nothing they can fix.
Thanks for your input.
:cheers:

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is not good news, can you give more details on how much came through and where exactly it was?

Tim
Tim,
Enough water came in to get my attention, I tell you that!!!!!
I do have to say we had a hell of a storm two night ago and as some folks in the forum mentioned, they have also experienced minor water leakage.
In my case, I noticed water on the passenger seat, I then realized water had somehow gotten in through the roof and noticed it where the roof meets the windshield and some more at the fold mid way down, again, on the passenger side.
I just got a call from the dealer, and they have not been able to replicate the water leak, so I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe wind was pushing the wrong way and pushed water between the window and the top seal.
This is my first convertible and certaily did not expect to have this issue, at least not within two weeks of delivery.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim,
I have attached some pics for your review.

Attachments

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Tim,
I have attached some pics for your review.
Your middle photo is where I used to get water drops on my A4 Cab if the wind was blowing the wrong way and it was pissing down. The A5 Cab roof design at that point (rubber section) looks the same as the A4 Cab.

It will not be a problem yet, but I would recommend to all Cab owners that you buy a bottle of rubber protector/lubrication treatment (Autoglym do one) and treat all rubber seals around the window screen frame, the edge of the roof that runs along the width of the window screen (roof needs to be part lowered into the storage box to do this), the rubber seal on the back quarter window that the door windows rest against and the seals around the storage box too. Do this once a month as part of your regular cleaning cycle. I also treat all the door seal rubber, boot rubber and engine bay rubber at the same time.

:)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your middle photo is where I used to get water drops on my A4 Cab if the wind was blowing the wrong way and it was pissing down. The A5 Cab roof design at that point (rubber section) looks the same as the A4 Cab.

It will not be a problem yet, but I would recommend to all Cab owners that you buy a bottle of rubber protector/lubrication treatment (Autoglym do one) and treat all rubber seals around the window screen frame, the edge of the roof that runs along the width of the window screen (roof needs to be part lowered into the storage box to do this), the rubber seal on the back quarter window that the door windows rest against and the seals around the storage box too. Do this once a month as part of your regular cleaning cycle. I also treat all the door seal rubber, boot rubber and engine bay rubber at the same time.

Chris
Thanks for your feedback, I will try the rubber protector.
Thanks,

· Registered
871 Posts
It shouldnt be dripping like that. it could be that the windows are not pushing right up into the seals. This pressure is adjustable by the dealer. Show him the pictures of the drips if he cant replicate it.

· Registered
2 Posts
just experianced exactly the same problem. S5 is two weeks old and the roof on the passenger side just started leaking. Dealer can't replicate the leak when I brought it in. Did you end up getting it repaired( if so what did they do to fix it) or is it still a problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
This is my first time posting here so I guess that makes me a virgin :laughinatabove:.
I was unable to find a thread on A5 Cab water leaks so I posted my own and hope someone can help.
After some long four almost five month wait, I finally took delivery of my 2010 Red A5 Cab two weeks ago.
With the help of last night's weather, I noticed that rain water had leaked inside throught the roof (soft top) by the passenger side (NOT FROM THE WINDOW).
Has anyone experienced this? Should I get my dealer to replace the top?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:thumbsdown: , :wall: , :no:
Just experianced the exactly the same problem. Did you get it fixed or is it still leaking??

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just experianced exactly the same problem. S5 is two weeks old and the roof on the passenger side just started leaking. Dealer can't replicate the leak when I brought it in. Did you end up getting it repaired( if so what did they do to fix it) or is it still a problem.
I'm sorry you are experiencing the same frustrating issue.
Although the dealer was not able to replicate the leak, they must have re-adjusted the roof or windows as I have not had a drop in since then, even after some serious rains lately.
Maybe the seals were too stiff (new) and they just set in (broke in) after a few weeks???
Good luck and let me know if your problem persists.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess Audi has finally gotten enough leaks complaints, there seems to be a fix to the problem.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a S5 Convertible 2010 previously had 2 other A5 Convertible cars none have had any roof leaks until now. The reason for this is that I now live in Falkirk where it has rained most days since November last year, the roof is saturated and has no time to dry leading to a slight leak.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I have a S5 Convertible 2010 previously had 2 other A5 Convertible cars none have had any roof leaks until now. The reason for this is that I now live in Falkirk where it has rained most days since November last year, the roof is saturated and has no time to dry leading to a slight leak.

There is a TSB (or TPI as I was advised they are called now) that covers the leak from the front corners. Mine has been leaking and I took it on Monday and picked it up yesterday, no issue today even with heavy rain.

· Registered
780 Posts

sorry bringing up an old thread can you explain or expand on this please.

how do i not fully lower the roof?

lee

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.