Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Audi A5 braking distances stand up aginst those of the BMW 330 coupe?
I have a 3.0 TDI Sport Tiptronic on order but am now having concerns on the brakes as all the Audi drivers I run up against brake so early. Is this due to lack of confidence on the turn in or less effective brakes?
I am still running my 2002 year model BMW while i wait for delivery.

Any one with tech info on stopping distances? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
There was a video posted up a while back with a test between the 3er coupe and the A5. IIRC the BMW stopped shorter than the A5. If I find the video I'll post it up later.

On the note regarding brakes, I was up in Aviemore (North Scotland) over the weekend, and I admitedly drove the A5 very harshly. Results....

I'm very UNimpressed with the A5's Brakes - The problem being with the brake pads. If you take the A5 on a good harsh run with plenty of braking along some fast country roads, and the brakes are well heated up, then they turn to jelly - Seriously! (Over a 4 Hour harsh run). It got to the point where I was having to press extremely hard on the brake pedal to get any real response.

So, to prove that it was the temperature that was affecting the performance of the brakes, We stopped off at a restaurant in Fort William - At low speeds, and just after the fast run, and the brakes once again were extremely spongy. Depressing the brake pedal all the way down was the only way of getting a response.

So When I came out after getting something to eat, I start driving again, and weyhay!... the brakes are back to normal - taking effect as soon as you tap the brake pedal - Oviously they had cooled down.

So, in conclusion, the brakes aren't to my satisfaction (If you intend to drive your car hard from time to time), but if you dont intend on driving a solid 4 hours hard drive or using your A5 on track, then It should be fine :D

Next thing on the shopping list - some good brake pads.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
maybe worth changing fluid too, to a better one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts