Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the car clean it's DPF? I remember my old A4 B7 2.0 TDI was trying to clean it automatically once in a while when the engine was running above 2k rpm. Not a single problem even after 12 years.

My A5 with its 7 gears in the DSG rarely exceeds 2000 rpms. So, do I need to manually drive in in 5th-6th gear on motorways or is it cleaning itself automatically at lower rpms?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
How does the car clean it's DPF? I remember my old A4 B7 2.0 TDI was trying to clean it automatically once in a while when the engine was running above 2k rpm. Not a single problem even after 12 years.

My A5 with its 7 gears in the DSG rarely exceeds 2000 rpms. So, do I need to manually drive in in 5th-6th gear on motorways or is it cleaning itself automatically at lower rpms?
Does it automatically by injecting additional fuel whenever it feels is appropriate. You may notice it shift gears and accelerate a little harder while it's going on, but you most likely won't notice it. You do NOT need to intentionally drag it down the motorway etc.

Reactions: alexk0il

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
While DPF cleaners do work, they're not particularly appropriate for modern VAG cars. The majority of add-to-fuel DPF cleaners essentially reduce the temperature at which the carbon burns (or increase the exhaust temperature, can't remember which but the end result is the same), which is only relevant for passive regen. Most VAG diesels do not passive regen, they active regen where the reduced burn temps won't be taken into account and so aren't particularly relevant as it'll get hot enough either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts