Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other way to remove/install headlining, than removing passenger door and seat?
I want to change my grey headliner in to black one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just changed my headliner.

I have found a factory manual from 2009 that says you can remove the headliner by pulling out everything inside and removing the door.

My own factory manual for a 2008 coupe does not have this advice but only talks about removing the windscreen. It also only addressed the 4 door car and not the coupe, for some reason it did not have the coupe where it does for all other sections of the manual.

Anywho…….I removed all my seats, headliner and centre console. But could not remove the headliner without damaging it on all the little easy to bend bits where it goes around the B pillar etc. I decided that on the way back in (being the most important) I could also not do this perfectly and one small bend on this flimsy thing is a crease forever in the headliner…..this to me is unacceptable.

So I get on the phone and to remove the windscreen and refit is $160 (AUD) and a brand-new one is $360 (AUD) all up. The bloke said the VAG cars 95% brake on the removal because the urethane bead on the sides is like 1mm thick and the wire brakes it.

Well the bloke was right, it broke so new windscreen for me.

When I do this again on my next VAG car, it will be windscreen out first time no questions asked, so much easier and it just come right out without risk of damage. And a windscreen is not that much after all……at $360 it is not worth the heart ache and very likely damage that will happen with an imperfect finish.

In reflection I think that the advice in the original factory manuals came from a CAD exercise and untested in the real world. It only misses out by a little but its all the little easy to damage edges that need to pass out the hole where the door once was. It may be OK if the dash is also missing but not with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just changed my headliner.

When I do this again on my next VAG car, it will be windscreen out first time no questions asked, so much easier and it just come right out without risk of damage. And a windscreen is not that much after all……at $360 it is not worth the heart ache and very likely damage that will happen with an imperfect finish.

In reflection I think that the advice in the original factory manuals came from a CAD exercise and untested in the real world. It only misses out by a little but its all the little easy to damage edges that need to pass out the hole where the door once was. It may be OK if the dash is also missing but not with it.
I'm looking at replacing mine too at some point. This is what I needed to hear even though I didn't want to hear it. I was hoping for a way to remove without removing so much, but it's not worth the risk. I guess I'll have to have windshield replacement on standby when I get to point of replacing mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts