Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and for air intakes for the A5 all I can find is filters. I was wondering if any one has removed their air box from there 3.2 litter and replaced it with just a filter on the end of the tube? If so dose it make any difference? Or could this do damge to the car???

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not really recommended due the heat soak from the engine. You really need to have some sort of thermal barrier between the engine heat and the filter. You could conjure one up and then fit a cold air intake pipe that sucks cold air from low down directly onto the filter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the information I don't think I'm going to try it then.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You would never see any performance gains except for your butt dyno telling you that it feels quicker and more responsive. It might be worth it a 'bit' for the noise it creates but its a 'bang for buck' call.

·
Registered
160 Posts
just go for the BMC replacement filters they allow atleast 30% more air in... every car I owned I did BMC and saw results in better sound and the car feels like it breaths better...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Fit BMC for now... I did and am happy with the 'edge' it gives to the liveliness of the engine.

The intake system also houses several important sensors, so any 'adaptation' will need to incorporate these, and hance why a "Filter on the end of a pipe" doesn't work (in addition to the points made earlier). This is why there is no off-the-shelf CAI available yet.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Does anyone know if I could get a sports air filter for the 2.0T FSI A5?
What about a cold air feed induction kit?

I can't seem to find anything.......

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That sucks !
There is absolutely nothing huh ?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well I certainly havnt seen anything yet, due to our airbox, i dont think we can fit a cone type filter in the 1.8, I'm guessing the 2.0 is the same but i could be wrong.

There're exhausts, just not for a reasonable price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts