Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

A5 3.2fsi CALA P0021 fault.

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SimonRoma 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have tried searching to find out what my faultcode P0021 could mean.
I have checked the solenoids and changed the camshaft sensors since the code is something about the camshaft bank 2.
I also have one "unknown" code.
I noticed some metal dust on the sensors and Im going to change the oils this week again after 3000km from the last change.

Some are saying it could be the chain but I hear no clanking noise etc. Imo just the typical valve ticking noise that should be normal to these fsi engines? Car runs well and I do not notice any flaws on daily basis. There has been few times when after the cold start the rev goes from 500 to 2000 and the car shakes. And also two times when pushing the gas the car loses the power and the esp comes on even when the car has grip, after these no additional fault codes.

I also tried to read the chains values but could not see the measurement blocks, it was greyed out. So I need help where to find the readings in advanced values? Some camshaft values I found were -48° but I assume if those were the right one my car would have the chain anymore. Also got the same readings from another car that has has a new chain etc.
Car is A5 3.2fsi CALA and about 180k km.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well. Firstly please post some pics of your ride mate.

Secondly, IMHO this could be almost anything.

BUT on my old 3200 V6 I had something similar so let me explain,,,,,, My car started to go into limp mode and initially just required me to switch off and then on again and all seemed ok. After maybe 30 times this did not clear the problem anymore so with my INDI we started to investigate with VCDS. He found some messages showing an error on one bank of cylinders so we switched things around and so it moved to the other bank. Mmmmm. Ok. So he thought that perhaps there was a fault with a component on one of the 2 banks. So he started to swap things over and eventually he found that one or both of the cylinder thingies (sorry I cannot now remember what the heck it was called) was faulty so we replaced one and then all was good again!!!!!. It was a 50 Euro component and was perhaps a cam follower or something similar, I really cannot remember as it was a few years ago. BUT dont panic search on the site for my posts and will surel find it......good luck!!!!

#3 ·
P002100 is “A Camshaft Position (Bank2) Timing over-advanced or System Performance”

I have a 3.2 and these engines are great for reliability. The engine in the B8 has fixed the timing chain grenading the engine, however, it can and will still tick on start-up sometimes. Audi are ok upto 3 minutes as “normal”. The explanation to the fix is on page 23 and 24 of the attached. It can sound terrible but will no longer jump timing.

I changed out my upper timing chain tensioners because in my opinion Audi’s do not make that sound and it annoyed me. At 120,000km I changed mine that had a occasional 30 seconds at start up.

I went to an auction to see a S4 3.0 that has almost the same engine, this thing had 225,000km and the timing chain noise stayed for like 10 minutes. Constant for a start then it would go softer almost gone, it would then ramp upto really nosey again and back down in a rhythmic manner.

That said I do not think you have jumped timing because this is also unheard of in the Rev,02 3.2FSI engine.

The fault code provided “P002100” says the ECU is not happy where the cam sensor sees it.

The Rev.2 3.2 FSI engine has 4 timing adjustment actuators N205, N208, N318 and N319

It also has 12 cam actuators.

You can read about these in the attached (SSP 411).

We don’t have a fault code for one of the 4 engine timing adjusters, so it is unlikely it is the electrical performance of these valves, it may however be a result of the mechanical performance of these valves because they are PWM. I would start here by moving the actuators around and see what changes in the way of fault codes.

I have not talked about that the engine oil must be of the exact grade required and have plenty of it as I have assumed you are all over this.

Of the attached see pages 13, 14, 15, 59.

Do a search on you tube for N205, N208, N318 and N319 you may find something.

Please make sure you get back a post what the solve was and good luck.

Attachments

#5 ·
A massive thank you!
I will look into these.
I assume the chain is not making a noise. I have heard few similar 3.2fsi engines and mine sounds about the same. The engine has the ticking noise but I do not hear any noise that would indicate the chain rattling etc.
This is from my engine:

I will try to switch up the actuators and once again clean the camshaft control valves. Also the metal chips on the front side camshaft position sensors was not a good sign but I assume there will be some metal dust in the engine at this age already. I will change the oil and filter tomorrow and see if there is more metal dust in the oil and filter, hopefully not.

Its hard to find similar problems and discussion on the internet since the engine is not so typical, but hopefully this will eventually be solved and found by others with similar problems!
The last plan is to drop the engine, change the chain and anyways open the engine to see whats inside. That is the most expensive one so hopefully in this case it is just a 100€ sensor etc😅

#6 ·
Changed the sides of the actuators today. I also changed the oil and the filter and saw no metal chips on them.
The first actuator on the drivers side has been grinding agaist the camshaft or so it seems. There was a visible scratch and I did not notice same below other actuators.
The code has not come yet but usually it takes a while to come up again. If it changes the side it is probably the faulty actuator then. I assume the actuator is faulty and keeps living its own life and hits the camshaft when its not suppose to do so.
It also explains the metal dust that was on the camshaft sensor magnets. There was no metal dust today after the replace last week.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Wheel

#7 ·
My 3.2 was also an amazingly strong engine and when I sold her at almost 200k kms she still consumed ZERO oil and went really well for an old girl.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.