Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have had an order in the system weeks ago and been a little further up the list, but I still cannot make up my mind about whether or not to go for the A5 or S5.

I'm concerned about the A5's seemingly lack of power for a car this price, but I could be wrong. Are there any good/detailed reviews about how this engine performs? I will likely be ordering a manual trans as well. (I tried searching, but didn't come up with much).

There is also the benefit of better gas mileage and with these gas prices that could be very important. How much different is it in actual driving?

Other than the engine, I also love the magma red interior...can this be had for an additional cost? :rolleyes:

I would be ordering the S-Line package as well, so the ride itself (in regards to the suspension) should be similar, correct?

I can afford either, but the S5 would certainly put a bigger hurting on the finances in terms of up front cost, payments and gas. :(

Advice/input welcome and appreciated -- looking to get an order in this week so the long wait can begin! :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, Audi SHOULD be offering a 300 hp engine on the S-line A-5. I own one. I am waiting on a S-5. However, with a stick it's quick. I think with an auto IMHO it's slower.

The S-5 wait is so much worse. You will get much better gas milage though. The S-line package is a must with the B&O stereo.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other than the engine, I also love the magma red interior...can this be had for an additional cost? :rolleyes:

I would be ordering the S-Line package as well, so the ride itself (in regards to the suspension) should be similar, correct?
:eek:
I'm waiting for my A5/S-line package (T-2months!). AFAIK the S-line package mandates a black leather interior. I was told you could not get any other interior color. Please post if you hear differently.

Regards.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting for my A5/S-line package (T-2months!). AFAIK the S-line package mandates a black leather interior. I was told you could not get any other interior color. Please post if you hear differently.

Regards.
This is correct, the A5 S-Line only came with the black leather and apparently the 2009 model S-Line will only have the black leather w/ Alcantara inserts.

That is why I was asking what the up-charge would be for Magma Red leather in my S-Line...although if its anything substantial I may as well put that money towards the S5.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is correct, the A5 S-Line only came with the black leather and apparently the 2009 model S-Line will only have the black leather w/ Alcantara inserts.
Is the Alcantara an option or will it come standard with the S-Line in the US?
:confused:

·
Registered
109 Posts
you can choose any colour interior or exterior if you are willing to pay for it
i beleive the charge for the exterior colour is $2500
not sure about interior
but yes you can have an A5 with Magma red interior

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I don't think anyone has really answered the original query of this post and I agree that reviews of the 3.2fsi seem few and far between. I don't understand that at all since it's the bread and butter trim for the U.S.

As a daily driver, and when I feel like driving a bit frisky, it's plenty fast, though I do wish I had a little more torque early on in the lower gears (where the S5 shines, I'm sure). On the interstate, the car simply moves at will. Everyone seems to be standing still and I can maneuver, pass, or whatever extremely easily. In fact, I think it's a bit dangerous how deceptive the speed is!

I was in the same boat. Could afford either, but wanted the decision to make some economic sense, especially given gas prices. I don't regret getting the 3.2fsi trim a bit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I grabbed up an A5 3.2 when one happened to come open and have not regretted it.

I would love the S5 but even before I got my A5 I had issues with it when trying to decide to get it or not.

For reference I have owned 04 M3, 05 G35 cpe, and driven many vettes so don't flame away.

For the S5, I have driven several.

Poor Gas milage - True your paying 60K for the car you prob don't really care anyway but it is an added consideration.

Power - The S5 is fast and has good get up and go but I believe it is under powered. I truely believe it should have had the RS4's 4.2 FSI. ( I am sure Audi did not do this for sells reasons and of course the S5 would be another 5k in cost but I think it would be worth that cost.
There are to many cars now within a small price range with much more powerful engine and some of those more powerful engines still get better gas milage.

Waiting for one - this is only a temporary thing for next year but still if your looking for one now it is a big deal.

For the A5

Looks - just as good as S5 desite the puny tail pipes.

Gas - I have gotten as low as 17mpg and as high as 29mpg on a tank with it.
I have no regrets for the A5

Ride - The ride in the A5 is much better than the S5 though of course intrepative I got tried of being beat up by the M3 (though the S5 was by far smmother then M3) I doubt highly that engine power aside 90% of owners would not out drive the suspension on the A5 or S5 so unless your gonna track it just lower it if you want the looks.

Power - I was surprised the first time I drove my A5 that was the onl;y thing riding on if I would buy it I did not want to hate it in a month. It is actually a peppy car and quick, by no mean a speed demon but more than fast enough to get a huge ticket I would say its prob a lil slower than a stock Mustang GT (be interseting to see the comparasion in things there.

I don't regret whats-so-ever getting the A5, I think if the option were on the table for the US market and cars readily available I would pick the A5 3.0 TDI over the S5 for reasons of the price saving and it being able to chip it. I haven't seen numbers yet but I'm willing to bet the 3.0TDI chipped will outrun the S5 around town till you get to high speed, so stoplight runs it would be a beast with that TQ.

As I said before I tried to do the best by getting a 24 month lease and putting my name first on the list for the RS5.

In the end its your pick, I live in DC and could never really enjoy a S5 so choose based on your reality not everyone elses. haha or we would all have R8's if we could!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will there be an option to "chip" the 3.2 V6 engine for added performance? Or any other easy and relatively inexpensive modifications?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ckeck, it's hard to get high hp/$ ratio when modding a naturally aspirated engine, simply due to the fact that there's no turbo. The 1.8T, 2.0T or the 3.0 bi-turbo of BMW's 335 can be "chipped" for relatively little cash and get a high increase in power by increasing the boost of the turbo.

The 3.2 is not an engine I'd get if I were looking to get tons of added power for little money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure there is and will be chips for the 3.2, but as others have said won't be but a handful of HP prob 15 at most. Usually it will smooth things out but I dont see it getting much smoother than it is now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have to concur with most on the 3.2 FSI. I've owned an M3 and G35. Both felt much faster than the actual difference in the 0-60 times to the A5 manual would suggest. Even my FX35 "feels" faster (torque and noise I guess?) but the A5 will smoke it without breaking a sweat. As someone pointed out, this powerplant's power delivery is a bit deceptive; smooth & without much drama.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's a 3.2 review that I just ran across.
That is a nice little review, and I agree with the author on every point except the MMI portion. Maybe I'm a little on the "tech-geek" side, but I find the MMI to be the easiest of all the German entertainment/comfort control systems.

I've driven the 3.2L A5 quite a few times (long demo drives in varying conditions) and have not found that motor to be inadequate for anything I've thrown at it. Granted, it is not going to win any drag races, but that's not what this car is about. It is about comfortable city driving and comfortable cruising on a long trip....while being able to tackle a twisty mountain road with the most agile of cars. The more powerful cars (that will win drag races) usually aren't the best for cruising or canyon carving. You've got to give some to have something somewhere else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i agree wit u this car is all class but i have a question i orderd my a5 andwas just curious about the reliability of audi in general cause ive been driving lexus since i started driving and was kind of concerned thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts