Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
All my life i had only audis; a3 2.0tdi, a3 vr6, and two a4 v8s.
I bought a manual 2009 audi s-line quattro 6 months ago 200,000kms on the clock. Just a week after i changed the clutch after doing all the maintenance.
In the 6 months, i have never added any oil or coolant.
Today, i decided to move the car a bit, and went for a ride untill i started smelling the clutch (at least that what i was thinking), i get the smell from time to time but that's because i only did 600kms after changing it. So i decided to stop and check, opened the hood and saw a little bit of smoke comming out of the gap between the engine and the coolant reservoir. The smell tho was more a smell of burnt plastic or oil, took a look in the gap that smoke was comming out of and there is an oil leak from the valve gasket, nothing really terrible. The problem is when i put my hand on the collector, it was abnormally hot. So i plug my obdeleven and check the coolant temp wich shows 108C, the temp. Gauge on the dash is reading normal and no check eng. Lights, no warnings. Realised that i had a problem because none of my 4 other audis have reached that range of temp.
Don't laugh at me but i went to a store and bought a motorrad thermostat, went home and boiled it, starts opening at 88C, went back to the car and replaced it, the old one was broken, plastic parts were in the thermostat hole on the top of the engine (really hard to fit). Added distilled water only since i don't know wich coolant is there, it is like 30C outside and i plan to change the coolant in a month or two.
Now the bleeding part, i am an oldschool guy, opened reservoir cap and turned heat on and waited with the phone in my hand checking cooling temp. 5 minutes in and it was 37C so i decided to shut off the heat and just let the engine warm up for the thermostat to open (wich i tested already 88C).
When the coolant reaches 88C i look into the reservoir to see coolant flow...nothing. 90, the 95 and finally waited up to 108 and no flow, then i gave up and shut the car off (could't go further). Coolant just does not circulate.
No whining from the pump and no leakage. Still, temp gauge is reading normal, no warnings and no check engine lights.
The questions are; what is the range of operating temp on the 3.2 fsi cala? how to make sure that it's the pump? could it be someting else? At wich temp the ecu decides that the car is overheating? What could be the smoke comming of the engine comp. ? Is it related to high temp 108C, and the oil started burning or plastic melting?

I have already replaced a pump on my brother's bmw, the problem was the bearings. So it gave strange sounds and just stopped moving and shredded the belt. I don't see how it could the pump on the a5 since it is a mecanical part, it turns normally and is not leaking (it would have to stop moving or leak to call it a problem).

Friendly, an audi lover with a wasted week-end.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The original water pumps had plastic impellers that snap off. The thermostats should operate at 90Deg C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the water pump, it's in pretty good shape.
I broke the nipple on the big coolant hose on the front. Received a new one today and sprayed every connection with wd-40 to make it easier to dismount.
Since i am not getting any help. I'll tell everything that i'll do, might as well help somebody else.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has the cooling system been purged of all air correctly i.e when it was refilled it was done via the vacuum method. Does the heater work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heater did not work. And no, i just poured coolant in the reservoir. I think that an air volume was in the area of the thermostat and pump, wich made the pump spin air and not coolant. I don't have the proper instruments to purge the system the correct way. I have to think of a way to push coolant towards the pump after the thermostat reaches its opening temp.
I never had that problem with other cars and only god knows how much purges i have done.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Mmmmm well sounds to me like you have an air lock in yer radiator system mate. Of course the water should be flowing by now. Two points:

1. Needs bleeding to get the air out, and
2. You should only use VAG approved coolant cos these cars seem to be very sensitive to what liquids you put inside.

Good luck!!! Simon

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Noooooooo, surely the fans should come in sooner??? My old 3.2 always stayed at 90 degrees on the guage and never overheated even on very warm days.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well the thing is you never measured coolant temp. Because the gauge on the dashboard stays at 90c untill coolant temp. Passes 110c. Mine does the same thing as yours, never passes 90c on the dashboard, but when you monitor temp. Using obd you see that it goes way over 90c.
The thermostat opens up at 88c, and is fully opened at 108c (elsawin), it would be a dumb thing to think that the temp never passes 90c.

what i am trying to know of somebody who has an obd dongle and a 3.2 fsi, who can monitor temp. Looking at numbers and not at the gauge on the dash, is simply when the fans kick in.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Bonoboz sorry mate I dont have my old 3200 any more so I cannot help further.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok checked.........wait for it.............wait for it..............My fan started at 104DegC precisely

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank god !!!!!
I could not thank you enough IDUA_5A.
So, like in v8s, the coolant temp goes up to 104C on idle and in traffic just to reduce engine knock. In very hot days and extreme conditions ( very slow traffic fo example) the fans kick in at 104C but the cooling does not happen immediatly, so it may go up till 110C before going down.
When the car moves it goes to the 90s and stays there, 90-100c.
At full throttle, the temp is kept at 90C.
I always thought that it is something logical, because the thermostat on the 3.2 CALA starts opening at 87C, and is fully opened at 108C.
For sure, engineeres now better but for me, i am not really a fan increasing the temperatures like that. My friend asked me to replace the thermostat on his 2004 545i with a cooler one, it used to go up till 110C too, and it blew coolant hoses from time to time. After the replacement ( 6 months ago) it never blew a hose again, the coolant temp stays at 90C all the time and the car feels happyer. We don't have cooler thermostats for our cars but there is a way to make the thermo. Open at lower temps, lower than 87C. I won't do anything to it since i don't drive it that much, Aspecially in extreme conditions. And after all i will sell it in the next year so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts